Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» The Rockefellers and the controllers are freaking out right about now
How Iraq could become a Mideast anchor, not a ‘forever war’ I_icon_minitimeToday at 12:16 pm by kenlej

» Phony Tony sez: Full Steam Ahead!
How Iraq could become a Mideast anchor, not a ‘forever war’ I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 12:51 pm by Mission1st

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
How Iraq could become a Mideast anchor, not a ‘forever war’ I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 12:45 pm by Mission1st

» Russia aren't taking any prisoners
How Iraq could become a Mideast anchor, not a ‘forever war’ I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2024 7:48 pm by kenlej

» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
How Iraq could become a Mideast anchor, not a ‘forever war’ I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 7:02 am by Ditartyn

» ZIGPLACE
How Iraq could become a Mideast anchor, not a ‘forever war’ I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 7:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
How Iraq could become a Mideast anchor, not a ‘forever war’ I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 3:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
How Iraq could become a Mideast anchor, not a ‘forever war’ I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 3:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
How Iraq could become a Mideast anchor, not a ‘forever war’ I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 12:40 pm by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
How Iraq could become a Mideast anchor, not a ‘forever war’ I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 12:40 pm by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
How Iraq could become a Mideast anchor, not a ‘forever war’ I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 12:34 pm by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
How Iraq could become a Mideast anchor, not a ‘forever war’ I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 9:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
How Iraq could become a Mideast anchor, not a ‘forever war’ I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 7:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
How Iraq could become a Mideast anchor, not a ‘forever war’ I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 9:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
How Iraq could become a Mideast anchor, not a ‘forever war’ I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 1:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
How Iraq could become a Mideast anchor, not a ‘forever war’ I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 8:43 pm by kenlej

» The second American Revolution has begun, God Bless Texas
How Iraq could become a Mideast anchor, not a ‘forever war’ I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:13 pm by kenlej

» The Global Currency Reset Evolution Event Will Begin With Gold, Zimbabwe ZWR Old Bank Notes
How Iraq could become a Mideast anchor, not a ‘forever war’ I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 28, 2024 4:28 pm by Mission1st

» Tucker talking Canada
How Iraq could become a Mideast anchor, not a ‘forever war’ I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2024 7:50 pm by kenlej

» Almost to the end The goodguys are winning
How Iraq could become a Mideast anchor, not a ‘forever war’ I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 10:03 pm by kenlej

How Iraq could become a Mideast anchor, not a ‘forever war’

Go down

How Iraq could become a Mideast anchor, not a ‘forever war’ Empty How Iraq could become a Mideast anchor, not a ‘forever war’

Post by GirlBye Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:19 pm

How Iraq could become a Mideast anchor, not a ‘forever war’ Iraq-prime-minister-780x520
Iraqi Prime Minister Mustafa al-Kadhimi, a human-rights activist, speaks during an interview with The Associated Press in Baghdad, Iraq,... (AP Photo / Khalid Mohammed)

The Mideast story with the most potential to change the region for the better is getting insufficient attention.
I’m not referring to the U.S.-brokered deals between Israel and two Gulf states, but rather to current developments inside Iraq, where a highly unusual Iraqi prime minister (a longtime human-rights activist) is fighting to normalize his country.

The odds facing Prime Minister Mustafa al-Kadhimi are stiff, with Iranian-backed militias challenging his efforts, his followers and his life. Yet there is real hope for positive change in Iraq, in large part because of Kadhimi’s courage.
“For those who care about stabilizing the Middle East, Iraq is really central,” says Michael Knights, an expert on Iraq and Gulf security affairs at the Washington Institute for Near East Policy. “Iraq going right could be the black swan that could change everything.” With its central geography abutting Turkey, Iran, the Gulf and Jordan, Iraq could provide an anchor in an increasingly chaotic region, and a hedge against renewed terrorism from any quarter (including Iran).
So who is this new Iraqi leader and what does he want?
When Kadhimi met President Donald Trump at the White House last month, the news focused on the announcement that the number of U.S. troops in Iraq will drop from 5,200 to 3,000 by September. In a small meeting with journalists, which I attended, Kadhimi stressed that Iraq doesn’t want combat troops but rather “training and security cooperation,” plus cooperation on the economy, education and health.

In other words, Iraq wants to be an ally like Poland or Kuwait, where a limited number of U.S. troops stays on in the interest of both countries. A relationship where Iraq is not a “forever war” anymore.

But all this depends on whether Kadhimi succeeds in bringing lawless sectarian militias under government control and combating deep-seated corruption.
His surprise ascendancy to prime minister, in May, came after months of demands by young Iraqi protesters — Iraq’s version of the Arab Spring — demanding an end to sectarian government and violence. Hundreds of demonstrators, many of them poor Shiites, were assassinated by snipers, presumably by Iran-backed forces. (Demonstrators want all U.S. and Iranian forces gone but were more fervent about Iran.)

Kadhimi came to office promising justice for the dead youths — and reform of a government in which sectarian political parties divide the spoils. He also promised early elections sometime next year.
His bona fides include years of human-rights work in exile and as director of the Iraq Memory Foundation upon his return to Baghdad in 2003. In a previous surprise appointment as director of Iraq’s national intelligence agency, he professionalized the body, which contributed greatly to the defeat of ISIS.

He wants to hold people accountable for the 700 targeted killings (of demonstrators) and to dismantle the militias, and have only the state bear arms,” says Kanan Makiya, founder of the Iraq Memory Foundation, author and professor emeritus at Brandeis University. “He really wants to be the person who normalizes the country and makes it work.”

https://www.seattletimes.com/opinion/how-iraq-could-become-a-mideast-anchor-not-a-forever-war/
GirlBye
GirlBye
VIP NewsHound
VIP NewsHound

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum