Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» The Rockefellers and the controllers are freaking out right about now
Golden age images of Iraq by ‘the father of Iraqi photography’  I_icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:16 am by kenlej

» Phony Tony sez: Full Steam Ahead!
Golden age images of Iraq by ‘the father of Iraqi photography’  I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:51 am by Mission1st

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
Golden age images of Iraq by ‘the father of Iraqi photography’  I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:45 am by Mission1st

» Russia aren't taking any prisoners
Golden age images of Iraq by ‘the father of Iraqi photography’  I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2024 6:48 pm by kenlej

» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
Golden age images of Iraq by ‘the father of Iraqi photography’  I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» ZIGPLACE
Golden age images of Iraq by ‘the father of Iraqi photography’  I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
Golden age images of Iraq by ‘the father of Iraqi photography’  I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
Golden age images of Iraq by ‘the father of Iraqi photography’  I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
Golden age images of Iraq by ‘the father of Iraqi photography’  I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
Golden age images of Iraq by ‘the father of Iraqi photography’  I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
Golden age images of Iraq by ‘the father of Iraqi photography’  I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
Golden age images of Iraq by ‘the father of Iraqi photography’  I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
Golden age images of Iraq by ‘the father of Iraqi photography’  I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
Golden age images of Iraq by ‘the father of Iraqi photography’  I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
Golden age images of Iraq by ‘the father of Iraqi photography’  I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
Golden age images of Iraq by ‘the father of Iraqi photography’  I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

» The second American Revolution has begun, God Bless Texas
Golden age images of Iraq by ‘the father of Iraqi photography’  I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 6:13 pm by kenlej

» The Global Currency Reset Evolution Event Will Begin With Gold, Zimbabwe ZWR Old Bank Notes
Golden age images of Iraq by ‘the father of Iraqi photography’  I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 28, 2024 3:28 pm by Mission1st

» Tucker talking Canada
Golden age images of Iraq by ‘the father of Iraqi photography’  I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2024 6:50 pm by kenlej

» Almost to the end The goodguys are winning
Golden age images of Iraq by ‘the father of Iraqi photography’  I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 9:03 pm by kenlej

Golden age images of Iraq by ‘the father of Iraqi photography’

Go down

Golden age images of Iraq by ‘the father of Iraqi photography’  Empty Golden age images of Iraq by ‘the father of Iraqi photography’

Post by GirlBye Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:17 pm

Enlarge this image Click to see fullsize
Golden age images of Iraq by ‘the father of Iraqi photography’  CDHROZMPRA3TNA2VTZW46MZZMA
Riqq player in the north of Iraq. (Latif Al-Ani courtesy of the Arab Image Foundation)

Golden age images of Iraq by ‘the father of Iraqi photography’  Z3M3XDWYUE7QRAFN7T7UYPNAEY
Construction for the Darbandikhan water supply pipeline project, Baghdad 1961. (Latif Al-Ani courtesy of the Arab Image Foundation)

Latif Al-Ani holds the reputation as being the founding “father of Iraqi photography,” known for his images of urban life in Iraq in the 1950s to 1970s. He also extensively photographed the booming oil industry, starting when he joined the photography staff at Iraq Petroleum Co.’s Arabic-version magazine, Ahl al-Naft (People of Oil).

“My first assignment was to photograph the then-king of Iraq, King Faisal, during an event. From there I went on to photograph all of the oil refineries in Iraq, Syria and Lebanon,” Al-Ani said in an interview with In Sight.

He noted how Iraq changed after the discovery of oil.

“This discovery led to jobs and developments in infrastructure, education, health care and the arts, and was reflected in the culture and life of Iraqi people,” Al-Ani said.

Al-Ani’s work is on display in an exhibition with 16 other artists, titled “Crude.” It is described as work that explores “oil as an agent of social, cultural and economic transformation, as well as a driver of geo-political upheaval.”

New York-based exhibition curator Murtaza Vali told In Sight that though the images Al-Ani produced for the Iraq Petroleum Co. were originally intended for a Western audience, they trained local artists to produce company propaganda in Arabic that was relatable to local and regional audiences.

Vali highlighted the importance of Al-Ani’s photographs to the visual history of Iraq.

Quote :“In my estimation, parts of this visual archive, and especially Al Ani’s photographs, serve as an important visual repertoire through which the people of a newly independent and fast changing Iraq, came to see themselves and their nation as modern. The selection of images I chose for the exhibition highlight some of these changes like: the urban transformation of Baghdad from an Ottoman city of crowded bazaars and winding narrow alleys to a modern city with broad automobile-filled avenues and modernist skyscrapers and mass housing projects.”

Al-Ani notes that his photographs are not the kind of images people are used to seeing from Iraq in present times, and hopes that his work could encourage another such renaissance in the country.

Quote :“I wanted to show our heritage against our present, the contrast between past and present, where we had arrived in comparison with the past. For me, photography is preserving the moment for future generations. I think viewers are surprised or shocked when they see my photographs in contrast to what they see of Iraq today. I hope that they make people think and feel the pain we feel, and get inspired to help Iraq have another ‘golden age.’ ”

Golden age images of Iraq by ‘the father of Iraqi photography’  XQD72ZA2LE7R7IGVG4Q4CO5T5Y
View of Rashid Street and the Mirjan Mosque, Baghdad 1963. (Latif Al-Ani courtesy of the Arab Image Foundation)

Golden age images of Iraq by ‘the father of Iraqi photography’  SURTYWPXQQ6NJINHDDFSHRDWLA
Mealtime at a school, Baghdad, 1961. (Latif Al-Ani courtesy of the Arab Image Foundation)

Golden age images of Iraq by ‘the father of Iraqi photography’  BPUX5XRJKE6SZJJHZ657HBMGSQ
Aerial view of a housing project in the Yarmouk neighborhood, Baghdad 1961. (Latif Al-Ani courtesy of the Arab Image Foundation)

Golden age images of Iraq by ‘the father of Iraqi photography’  4MZI5UF6OY77TD2RBD7KFBOHXE
“Mother,” a sculpture by Khalid Al-Rahal, Baghdad 1961. (Latif Al-Ani courtesy of the Arab Image Foundation)

Golden age images of Iraq by ‘the father of Iraqi photography’  G4BCAKICHQ4BLC66QJTZV5KB5I
Accordion player, Baghdad 1960. (Latif Al-Ani courtesy of the Arab Image Foundation)

Golden age images of Iraq by ‘the father of Iraqi photography’  FWL44LBXXI3LDM77TFB2BKCF4Y
Tire repair, Baghdad 1958. (Latif Al-Ani courtesy of the Arab Image Foundation)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/in-sight/wp/2018/11/22/golden-age-images-of-iraq-by-the-father-of-iraqi-photography/?utm_term=.b42d469a67d4
GirlBye
GirlBye
VIP NewsHound
VIP NewsHound

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum