Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» The Rockefellers and the controllers are freaking out right about now
So you want to take back Mosul from ISIS? Are you ready for a 10-year seige? I_icon_minitimeToday at 11:16 am by kenlej

» Phony Tony sez: Full Steam Ahead!
So you want to take back Mosul from ISIS? Are you ready for a 10-year seige? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:51 am by Mission1st

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
So you want to take back Mosul from ISIS? Are you ready for a 10-year seige? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:45 am by Mission1st

» Russia aren't taking any prisoners
So you want to take back Mosul from ISIS? Are you ready for a 10-year seige? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2024 6:48 pm by kenlej

» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
So you want to take back Mosul from ISIS? Are you ready for a 10-year seige? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» ZIGPLACE
So you want to take back Mosul from ISIS? Are you ready for a 10-year seige? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
So you want to take back Mosul from ISIS? Are you ready for a 10-year seige? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
So you want to take back Mosul from ISIS? Are you ready for a 10-year seige? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
So you want to take back Mosul from ISIS? Are you ready for a 10-year seige? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
So you want to take back Mosul from ISIS? Are you ready for a 10-year seige? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
So you want to take back Mosul from ISIS? Are you ready for a 10-year seige? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
So you want to take back Mosul from ISIS? Are you ready for a 10-year seige? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
So you want to take back Mosul from ISIS? Are you ready for a 10-year seige? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
So you want to take back Mosul from ISIS? Are you ready for a 10-year seige? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
So you want to take back Mosul from ISIS? Are you ready for a 10-year seige? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
So you want to take back Mosul from ISIS? Are you ready for a 10-year seige? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

» The second American Revolution has begun, God Bless Texas
So you want to take back Mosul from ISIS? Are you ready for a 10-year seige? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 6:13 pm by kenlej

» The Global Currency Reset Evolution Event Will Begin With Gold, Zimbabwe ZWR Old Bank Notes
So you want to take back Mosul from ISIS? Are you ready for a 10-year seige? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 28, 2024 3:28 pm by Mission1st

» Tucker talking Canada
So you want to take back Mosul from ISIS? Are you ready for a 10-year seige? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2024 6:50 pm by kenlej

» Almost to the end The goodguys are winning
So you want to take back Mosul from ISIS? Are you ready for a 10-year seige? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 9:03 pm by kenlej

So you want to take back Mosul from ISIS? Are you ready for a 10-year seige?

Go down

So you want to take back Mosul from ISIS? Are you ready for a 10-year seige? Empty So you want to take back Mosul from ISIS? Are you ready for a 10-year seige?

Post by Ponee Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:55 pm

So you want to take back Mosul from ISIS? Are you ready for a 10-year seige? Unknown

There’s a lot of loose talk about “re-taking” Mosul. Here are my thoughts about how difficult it would be. In my non-General Officer, very tactical-level opinion, an assault on this place would turn into a ten year siege, perhaps longer.

My dour thoughts are inspired by my experiences fighting there. I served for a year in Mosul from 9/2005 to 8/2006 as an infantry Platoon Leader before ‘surging’ to Baghdad until December.  I owned the battle space on southwest side of the city (near FOB Marez): Tal al Ruman, the Dick Cemetery, Shit Creek, Al Amils #1 and 2.

My nightmare scenario is a door-to-door slog through the old city center. It is a warren of tight squeezes and hiding spots — no vehicular support there. The western desert is devoid of any cover or concealment. The berm ringing the city is tall and would be an impediment to dismounts and mounted troops alike. The enemy is dug in and not going anywhere.

We fought insurgents for months and we had ground superiority and three large bases (Courage, Marez, Diamondback) ringing the city, plus lots of police stations (5 West etc) and Iraqi Army posts. We also had SKTs (Small Kill Teams) set up for ambushes on hot corners. My brigade just missed the Battle for Mosul, fought by Deuce Four the previous spring and we heard the stories from those guys who did the battle handoff. It was unpleasant to say the least. Look at the stories from Fallujah — a city that is 20 percent the size of Mosul.
In short, though we owned the ground and the night, we were not able to deny the enemy freedom of maneuver because of the sheer size and type of urban terrain. And we had a brigade of infantry on the ground, the 172nd Stryker Brigade Combat Team.

If I were in charge of taking back the city, I don’t think I’d risk dropping any SOF or spotters the night before my invasion. I’d rely on drones for my reconnaissance and spotting during my 36-hour artillery binge on the ring berm and other key targets.  Then I’d get a whole lot of helicopters and do a night air assault, probably with my back to the Tigris, and push west and east, with tanks coming from the northeast side.
After we pushed through, grabbed the squirters, and sealed Mosul off from the rest of the world, I’d settle in for a siege and a ten-year war of attrition. Some folks think we could starve them out. But it’s a big city and carpet-bombing is not an option. Smugglers exist everywhere. Resupply is not far away.  There are exurbs to the east (Bashiqa 15 miles) and west (Mawali 25 miles). Bashiqa is a Yzidi (or at least was) village and Mawali is Sunni. My battalion raided the latter village one night, with my platoon as the spearhead, and got two of three of our HVTs. For a village requiring a battalion sized raid, even nine years ago, there’s probably still a lot of anti-U.S. resentment and support for the bad guys — lots of prospects to help resupply. Then there’s Hamam al Alil 20 miles to the south, with river access, and a small garrison of IA (I think it used to house an IP school). Our line platoons rotated down there to command that garrison for a few weeks at a time — total vacation at COP Aggie in Hamam al Alil. Of course Dahuk and Turkey is a short drive to the north. Thus — there’s a lot of little hamlets ringing the city that can be used for resupply, enemy staging grounds, or worse.

James R. Snoddy is a former U.S. Army infantry officer who served as an infantry platoon leader from 9/2005 to 12/2006 in Mosul, Hamam al Alil, and Baghdad.

Photo credit: James R. Snoddy

http://foreignpolicy...10-year-seige/?

[size=15]
[/size]

Ponee
Ponee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum