Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» The Rockefellers and the controllers are freaking out right about now
Oil price drop hurting fight against Islamic State, Iraq’s prime minister says I_icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:16 am by kenlej

» Phony Tony sez: Full Steam Ahead!
Oil price drop hurting fight against Islamic State, Iraq’s prime minister says I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:51 am by Mission1st

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
Oil price drop hurting fight against Islamic State, Iraq’s prime minister says I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:45 am by Mission1st

» Russia aren't taking any prisoners
Oil price drop hurting fight against Islamic State, Iraq’s prime minister says I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2024 6:48 pm by kenlej

» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
Oil price drop hurting fight against Islamic State, Iraq’s prime minister says I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» ZIGPLACE
Oil price drop hurting fight against Islamic State, Iraq’s prime minister says I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
Oil price drop hurting fight against Islamic State, Iraq’s prime minister says I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
Oil price drop hurting fight against Islamic State, Iraq’s prime minister says I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
Oil price drop hurting fight against Islamic State, Iraq’s prime minister says I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
Oil price drop hurting fight against Islamic State, Iraq’s prime minister says I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
Oil price drop hurting fight against Islamic State, Iraq’s prime minister says I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
Oil price drop hurting fight against Islamic State, Iraq’s prime minister says I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
Oil price drop hurting fight against Islamic State, Iraq’s prime minister says I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
Oil price drop hurting fight against Islamic State, Iraq’s prime minister says I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
Oil price drop hurting fight against Islamic State, Iraq’s prime minister says I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
Oil price drop hurting fight against Islamic State, Iraq’s prime minister says I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

» The second American Revolution has begun, God Bless Texas
Oil price drop hurting fight against Islamic State, Iraq’s prime minister says I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 6:13 pm by kenlej

» The Global Currency Reset Evolution Event Will Begin With Gold, Zimbabwe ZWR Old Bank Notes
Oil price drop hurting fight against Islamic State, Iraq’s prime minister says I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 28, 2024 3:28 pm by Mission1st

» Tucker talking Canada
Oil price drop hurting fight against Islamic State, Iraq’s prime minister says I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2024 6:50 pm by kenlej

» Almost to the end The goodguys are winning
Oil price drop hurting fight against Islamic State, Iraq’s prime minister says I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 9:03 pm by kenlej

Oil price drop hurting fight against Islamic State, Iraq’s prime minister says

2 posters

Go down

Oil price drop hurting fight against Islamic State, Iraq’s prime minister says Empty Oil price drop hurting fight against Islamic State, Iraq’s prime minister says

Post by Cascadian Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:16 pm

By Carol Morello January 22 at 6:10 PM  
LONDON — Plunging oil prices have wreaked havoc on Iraq’s budget, and it cannot pay for the weapons, ammunition and equipment it needs to beat back Islamic State militants from large swaths of its territory, Iraq’s prime minister said Thursday.

Iraq has asked the United States and its allies to defer payments on some munitions it urgently needs, Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi said at a conference of 21 nations most actively involved in combatting jihadi fighters in Iraq and Syria. With oil revenue responsible for 85 percent of the nation’s budget, Abadi said, the 40 percent drop in prices over the past year has been “disastrous” for Iraq’s government.

“We do not want to see a reverse of our military victory due to our budget and fiscal problems,” he said, appearing at a news conference with Secretary of State John F. Kerry and British Foreign Secretary Philip Hammond at a conference of nations in the U.S.-led coalition against militants fighting on behalf of a group alternately known as the Islamic State, ISIL, ISIS and Daesh. “And we have been assured that every member of this coalition will stand [with] Iraq in its fight against Daesh.”

Abadi said the Iraqi government has asked coalition forces to accept deferred payments for munitions and armaments and said the U.S. Air Force had already transported some weaponry from European countries, items he described as “free of charge from our coalition partners.”

“I’ve asked for more support,” Abadi said. “And I think my call didn’t go unnoticed.”

His dire assessment of Iraq’s fiscal condition came as Kerry and Hammond said with confidence that allied forces had halted and in some cases reversed the momentum of the Islamic State. Kerry said almost 2,000 airstrikes had killed thousands of fighters in Syria and Iraq and forced Islamic State fighters to retreat from 270 square miles of territory it once controlled.

Kerry said the coalition members were determined that those gains would not be jeopardized by Iraq’s inability to pay.

“Let me assure you that this effort is not going to be deterred or diminished or defeated by virtue of the fact that we’re not going to get the supplies and ammunition necessary to carry it out,” he said.

Kerry noted that the United States recently delivered 250 MRAPs, armored vehicles developed to protect troops from mines and roadside bombs and now in surplus with the end of the war in Iraq and the troop drawdown in Afghanistan. Kerry also said that the United States is about to deliver a shipment of M-16 rifles. American teams are training 12 Iraqi brigades to retake the cities of Mosul and Fallujah.

Meanwhile, Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel resisted recent comments from Abadi suggesting that international assistance has not come fast enough as his country battles the Islamic State.

Abadi, in an interview to the Associated Press this week, said Iraqis were “almost on our own.” “There is a lot being said and spoken, but very little on the ground,” he told the AP.

Hagel said that the United States had provided Iraq with valuable weaponry, including more than 1,500 Hellfire missiles in 2014, and was sending U.S. troops to advise and train Iraqi forces.

“I do disagree with the prime minister’s comments. I would say even further, I don’t think they’re helpful,” Hagel said at a news conference at the Pentagon on Thursday. “We are doing everything we can possibly do to help the Iraqis.”

The need to shore up battlefield gains comes as the coalition tries to focus on ways of confronting the growing threat posed by radicalized, homegrown extremists inspired to conduct lone-wolf operations.

The coalition conference was the first since the attacks in Paris two weeks ago that killed 17 people. More meetings will be held monthly to assess how the campaign is going and to recalibrate strategy. Many European countries are stiffening their laws targeting foreign fighters. In Britain, for example, parliament is considering banning citizens from returning from Middle East war zones unless they agree to be monitored. Hammond said another goal is to counter the “twisted narrative” of militants through tools such as social media.

“This conference is not just about military operations in Iraq,” Hammond said. “It’s about the other strands of this campaign as well. We’re very clear that undermining the narrative of ISIL, interdicting the flow of foreign fighters, stopping the flow of financial funding to ISIL, is as important as the military campaign itself.”

Kerry described the fight against the Islamic State and other jihadi groups as “the challenge of our time.”

“Their goal is to suppress and to take over and to expand a very nihilistic, unbelievably oppressive sense of how people ought to live,” he said. “And we’ve seen them carry it out in the most egregiously horrendous fashion — with public beheadings, they’re now threatening two Japanese hostages. . . . And we need to step up and lead and be strong and be clear of what’s at stake.”

Both Kerry and Hammond were scornfully dismissive of groups such as the Islamic State and al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula, which has urged like-minded Muslims to wage attacks in their home countries.

The ultimate goal, Kerry said, was “defeating what Daesh represents, defeating Daesh as an idea, if it can be called that,” Kerry said, referring to the Islamic State.

Hammond said the West is in this fight for the long haul.

“Most importantly,” he said of the conference, “we all confirmed our commitment to the struggle, however long it takes and wherever it leads us, to defeating the scourge of violent Islamist extremism.”

Missy Ryan in Washington contributed to this article.

Cascadian
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Oil price drop hurting fight against Islamic State, Iraq’s prime minister says Empty Re: Oil price drop hurting fight against Islamic State, Iraq’s prime minister says

Post by Cascadian Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:21 pm

Ooooooooh... THAT'S why Iraq isn't fighting ISIS.  The falling oil prices cut their ability to buy weapons.  Even though they have been given weapons free.  Lots of weapons.  And still more weapons on the way.  Free!  Despite Iraq losing FOUR DIVISION'S worth of equipment and weapons to ISIS.  Weapons we gave them.  For free.

Gee... The Kurds are actually bringing the fight to ISIS.   And even though WE are throwing bombs and bullets at the ISIS elements facing Iraq, the Iraqi Army STILL won't get into the fight in a serious way....

Cascadian
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Oil price drop hurting fight against Islamic State, Iraq’s prime minister says Empty Re: Oil price drop hurting fight against Islamic State, Iraq’s prime minister says

Post by BritishBulldog Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:44 am

What a big steaming pile of horse poo. They weren't doing much when it was at $100+ a barrel. This is just a sad attempt to try to raise prices.
BritishBulldog
BritishBulldog
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Cascadian Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:53 pm

It's this kind of crap that really pushes me towards a attitude that would let them suffer the fate they earn.  That my heart wouldn't break if ISIS took over the rest of their country.

It's things like this that appear to show the complete lack of integrity of the nation as a whole and reduces any desire on my part to help this fledgling 'democracy.'  Corruption, cowardice, manipulation and expecting other countries to come in and fight their battles for them.

In keeping with my promise to Ponee to post at least one article a day, I always try to include a search for areas retaken from ISIS, victories in battling ISIS and similar things.  The only thing I can routinely find is that the Kurds are in the fight.  IF the Iraqi army is mentioned as fighting, it's ALWAYS accompanied by references to local tribesmen, militias and special forces.  

In other words, if there's a fight and some success, Iraqi army claims the credit for the fighting conducted by others.

I can't say 100% that I would catch each and every article mentioning the victorious Iraqi army, but am confident that my searches are thorough enough that if they actually took ground from ISIS that I would run across their news about it.

Cowards.  Two years minimum before they will be ready to fight.  What a crock

Cascadian
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum