Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» The Rockefellers and the controllers are freaking out right about now
Fouad Massoum: Veteran Politician Likely to be Iraq’s Next President I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2024 11:16 am by kenlej

» Phony Tony sez: Full Steam Ahead!
Fouad Massoum: Veteran Politician Likely to be Iraq’s Next President I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:51 am by Mission1st

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
Fouad Massoum: Veteran Politician Likely to be Iraq’s Next President I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:45 am by Mission1st

» Russia aren't taking any prisoners
Fouad Massoum: Veteran Politician Likely to be Iraq’s Next President I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2024 6:48 pm by kenlej

» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
Fouad Massoum: Veteran Politician Likely to be Iraq’s Next President I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» ZIGPLACE
Fouad Massoum: Veteran Politician Likely to be Iraq’s Next President I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
Fouad Massoum: Veteran Politician Likely to be Iraq’s Next President I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
Fouad Massoum: Veteran Politician Likely to be Iraq’s Next President I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
Fouad Massoum: Veteran Politician Likely to be Iraq’s Next President I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
Fouad Massoum: Veteran Politician Likely to be Iraq’s Next President I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
Fouad Massoum: Veteran Politician Likely to be Iraq’s Next President I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
Fouad Massoum: Veteran Politician Likely to be Iraq’s Next President I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
Fouad Massoum: Veteran Politician Likely to be Iraq’s Next President I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
Fouad Massoum: Veteran Politician Likely to be Iraq’s Next President I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
Fouad Massoum: Veteran Politician Likely to be Iraq’s Next President I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
Fouad Massoum: Veteran Politician Likely to be Iraq’s Next President I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

» The second American Revolution has begun, God Bless Texas
Fouad Massoum: Veteran Politician Likely to be Iraq’s Next President I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 6:13 pm by kenlej

» The Global Currency Reset Evolution Event Will Begin With Gold, Zimbabwe ZWR Old Bank Notes
Fouad Massoum: Veteran Politician Likely to be Iraq’s Next President I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 28, 2024 3:28 pm by Mission1st

» Tucker talking Canada
Fouad Massoum: Veteran Politician Likely to be Iraq’s Next President I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2024 6:50 pm by kenlej

» Almost to the end The goodguys are winning
Fouad Massoum: Veteran Politician Likely to be Iraq’s Next President I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 9:03 pm by kenlej

Fouad Massoum: Veteran Politician Likely to be Iraq’s Next President

Go down

Fouad Massoum: Veteran Politician Likely to be Iraq’s Next President Empty Fouad Massoum: Veteran Politician Likely to be Iraq’s Next President

Post by Kevind53 Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:03 pm

By RUDAW 16 hours ago

ERBIL, Kurdistan Region – Fouad Massoum, a founding member of the Patriotic Union of Kurdistan (PUK), is seen as the strongest candidate to replace Jalal Talabani as Iraq’s next president.

"Fuad Massoum has the greatest chance for this post," Sarwan Gomashini from the president's legal office told Rudaw after the PUK finalized the candidacy.

Massoum, a self-possessed veteran politician, has been a longtime confidante of Jalal Talabani, Iraq’s current president and PUK head who returned to Kurdistan Saturday after a year-and-a-half in Germany recuperating from a stroke.

Sources also have revealed that the PUK had submitted the name of Adnan Mufti, another party veteran, for the presidency. But Mufti had told Rudaw earlier he was not interested.

Meanwhile the PUK’s Najmaldin Karim, the powerful Kurdish governor of Kirkuk, has reportedly rattled the party by submitting his name for the presidency, but without party consent.

That move raised the ire of other PUK leaders, who rejected any candidate that is not approved by the party leadership.

Under the Iraqi constitution the president is Kurdish, the prime minister a Shiite and the parliament speaker a Sunni. The presidency is traditionally given to the PUK.

Last week MPs in Baghdad finally elected Salim al-Jabouri as parliament speaker, coming a stop closer to forming a government, as Iraq suffers a crisis that threatens to splinter the country.

Even if a president is chosen, the issue of the Shiite prime minister still would remain unresolved: The Sunnis and Kurds have absolutely rejected a third term for Nouri al-Maliki, who has continued to insist he will remain prime minister.

Massoum – whose full name is Muhammad Fouad Massoum Hawrami -- was born in 1938 in the township of Koye in Iraqi Kurdistan. Both his parents originally come from the Hawraman area, and his father was a notable cleric.

He and Talabani come from prominent religious families and spent their childhood in the same town and remain close friends to this day.

As a teenager Massoum studied at Kurdish religious schools, and in 1958 he began studies at Egypt’s prestigious Al-Azhar University, where he earned his undergraduate and graduate degrees in Islamic studies, and later his PhD.

Massoum was a member of the Iraqi Communist Party, which he left early in his career to join the Kurdistan Democratic Party (KDP) in 1964.

He taught at the University of Basra and was in charge of the KDP's military operations in Iraqi Kurdistan in the late 60s.

Massoum was a representative of the KDP and Mustafa Barzani in Cairo between 1973-75.

He is one of the founders of the PUK and has remained one of its leading members.

Because of his old ties with the KDP he helped the reconciliation process with the PUK in the 1980s, when the two were at war. In 1992, he became the first prime minister of Kurdistan.

Massoum was a member of the negotiating team in Baghdad that drafted the Iraqi constitution following the 2003 US-led invasion.

In 2004, he became the first speaker of the interim Iraqi parliament, and the year after he became an Iraqi MP.

Massoum is married and has five daughters.

Apart from his other duties, Massoum has supervised the current Iraqi prime minister’s graduate dissertation at Salahaddin University in Erbil.

http://rudaw.net/english/middleeast/iraq/20072014

Trust but Verify --- R Reagan Suspect

"Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you."1 Thessalonians 5:14–18

Fouad Massoum: Veteran Politician Likely to be Iraq’s Next President 2805820865  Fouad Massoum: Veteran Politician Likely to be Iraq’s Next President 2805820865  Fouad Massoum: Veteran Politician Likely to be Iraq’s Next President 2805820865  Fouad Massoum: Veteran Politician Likely to be Iraq’s Next President 2805820865
Kevind53
Kevind53
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum