Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» The Rockefellers and the controllers are freaking out right about now
A Four Letter Word I_icon_minitimeToday at 11:16 am by kenlej

» Phony Tony sez: Full Steam Ahead!
A Four Letter Word I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:51 am by Mission1st

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
A Four Letter Word I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:45 am by Mission1st

» Russia aren't taking any prisoners
A Four Letter Word I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2024 6:48 pm by kenlej

» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
A Four Letter Word I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» ZIGPLACE
A Four Letter Word I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
A Four Letter Word I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
A Four Letter Word I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
A Four Letter Word I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
A Four Letter Word I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
A Four Letter Word I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
A Four Letter Word I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
A Four Letter Word I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
A Four Letter Word I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
A Four Letter Word I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
A Four Letter Word I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

» The second American Revolution has begun, God Bless Texas
A Four Letter Word I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 6:13 pm by kenlej

» The Global Currency Reset Evolution Event Will Begin With Gold, Zimbabwe ZWR Old Bank Notes
A Four Letter Word I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 28, 2024 3:28 pm by Mission1st

» Tucker talking Canada
A Four Letter Word I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2024 6:50 pm by kenlej

» Almost to the end The goodguys are winning
A Four Letter Word I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 9:03 pm by kenlej

A Four Letter Word

3 posters

Go down

A Four Letter Word Empty A Four Letter Word

Post by Ponee Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:51 pm

A Four Letter Word
by Haim Factor

A Four Letter Word 2Q==

A few years ago, after I met one of those helpful highway patrolmen on the road one too many times, I received an invitation in the mail to take a refresher, compulsory, driver's improvement course. Full of disdain, I indicated the date in my day timer (this was before the days of the PDA). I shuddered at the thought of how I'd be able to sit through all the sessions…

Well, the day arrived and the course started. I saw other poor souls sitting there, more or less like me. But for me, this was quite a shock. It was because I really was a good driver. I didn't belong here! What's more, I hadn't been to any formal driving instruction since I got my license, when I was 16 years old—many, many years ago.
What a waste of time this was going to be.

The instructor kept talking and talking. "Probably justifying his existence.", I thought, as I doodled in the little instruction booklet I had received. Then the instructor started talking about "safe following distance". Oh no—not that! Even a freshman engineer in Physics 101 knows about accelerations, velocity, and displacements versus time! And here I was, an experienced senior engineer with a Masters degree, sitting in a Driver's Improvement class and relearning parts of Physics 101 from the lips of no less than a Driver's Improvement instructor.

What's more, I really did understand the importance of keeping a safe distance. Over the years, I learned to instinctively keep a good distance between myself and the car in front of me.

Man—this course was real punishment!
Using all of my restraint and trying not to dwell on my bad fortune, I somehow made it through the lecture, just to the point when the instructor asked: "Are there any questions?" I felt my hand shoot up as my patience must have finally worn thin.

"Look", I gasped, "I'm very familiar with safe driving distance." Quickly reconsidering that there was no need to antagonize the instructor (who was hopefully going to give me a passing grade and was going to allow me NOT to repeat this boring course) I decided in mid-sentence to talk about what I felt rather than what I knew. Clearing my throat, I explained "What really makes me mad is that OTHER people are always on my bumper!"
That's it. I said it! Relieved by the fact that I could tell the instructor how I felt, I slouched back in my seat and relaxed a bit. I gazed at him. He just stood there and smiled back at me. He calmly said one word:

"Don't."

"Excuse me?" I asked incredulously.

"'Don't', I said." the instructor repeated.

"Don't what!" I blurted out, beginning to get exasperated.

"Don't get mad." He responded, benignly.

And with that, he turned away from me to continue the lesson. I just sat there for a few seconds as he continued to talk about crosswalks-or-whatever. I tried to understand his response to me.

And then it hit me! He was right. He was VERY right! And I really hadn't seen it at first. I didn't have any control over the other drivers—something I knew from my years of driving experience and from a point that the instructor had somehow reinforced in his course.

I did, of course, have control over myself. Pretty simple stuff, no? But I never thought of it in this framework.

Well, some time has passed and, as you can see, I survived that course. I was actually quite happy to have learned about the word "don't". You see, I ended up not only being a bit calmer when I'm on the road—but also found myself applying the "don't" lesson to other parts of my life, even when I wasn't driving.

We very rarely have any control over others around us. That's the frustrating and beautiful part of organizations and of our society. However, we should have control of ourselves. We should—that is, if we have our act together. I don't mean "control" in terms of self-denial or any of a list of negative things some people do or try to do to themselves. What I mean is that all of us usually have a clear choice whether to get angry or "take something to heart"—or to let the matter pass us by. Almost every day, and throughout each day, we find ourselves confronted with actions by others—and many of those actions aren't even too significant.

It's our choice how we react.

Read it again. It's our choice—not theirs. We can choose to be kind to ourselves. Or we can choose to punish ourselves for what we feel other people have (or haven't) done to us.

Nowadays, that "other driver" who is driving too closely to me may be surprised when I slow down and just let him pass me. He probably doesn't even know that it really wasn't my intention to just give him a head start of at least a few milliseconds.

I actually let him pass me because I was simply being kind to myself.

I deserve it—-don't you?

©2004 BodyMindWisdom.com
You are welcome to copy, forward, and republish this article, but only in its entirety and unedited, including this information.
Ponee
Ponee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

A Four Letter Word Empty Re: A Four Letter Word

Post by Saint Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:57 pm

Very well put together Ponee. Thanks  A Four Letter Word 230677302

Last edited by Saint on Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Saint
Saint
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

A Four Letter Word Empty Re: A Four Letter Word

Post by Goldiegirl Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:13 pm

I guess you could use this in many scenarios.  The theme being, "think twice" before you act.Especially this day in age.

I had a woman cut me off and try to drive me into a concrete wall on the highway one time while I was driving at 120Km speed. (that's about 70 for the miles folks)   No idea why.  I stayed calm and got her license plate. Cops did nothing about it when I called. Asked me what I did to piss her off.  The best I could hope for was that Karma would come back on her to teach her a lesson one day.

I learned a valuable lesson over the past year or so. We no longer have "freedom of speech". You never know who could hurt you with your own words. You have no idea who could be listening and most of all, it's always better to take the "high road", even when you are right.

:polk:
Goldiegirl
Goldiegirl
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum