Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» The Rockefellers and the controllers are freaking out right about now
Bloodshed and bluster in Ukraine I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2024 11:16 am by kenlej

» Phony Tony sez: Full Steam Ahead!
Bloodshed and bluster in Ukraine I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:51 am by Mission1st

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
Bloodshed and bluster in Ukraine I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:45 am by Mission1st

» Russia aren't taking any prisoners
Bloodshed and bluster in Ukraine I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2024 6:48 pm by kenlej

» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
Bloodshed and bluster in Ukraine I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» ZIGPLACE
Bloodshed and bluster in Ukraine I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
Bloodshed and bluster in Ukraine I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
Bloodshed and bluster in Ukraine I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
Bloodshed and bluster in Ukraine I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
Bloodshed and bluster in Ukraine I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
Bloodshed and bluster in Ukraine I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
Bloodshed and bluster in Ukraine I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
Bloodshed and bluster in Ukraine I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
Bloodshed and bluster in Ukraine I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
Bloodshed and bluster in Ukraine I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
Bloodshed and bluster in Ukraine I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

» The second American Revolution has begun, God Bless Texas
Bloodshed and bluster in Ukraine I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 6:13 pm by kenlej

» The Global Currency Reset Evolution Event Will Begin With Gold, Zimbabwe ZWR Old Bank Notes
Bloodshed and bluster in Ukraine I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 28, 2024 3:28 pm by Mission1st

» Tucker talking Canada
Bloodshed and bluster in Ukraine I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2024 6:50 pm by kenlej

» Almost to the end The goodguys are winning
Bloodshed and bluster in Ukraine I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 9:03 pm by kenlej

Bloodshed and bluster in Ukraine

Go down

Bloodshed and bluster in Ukraine Empty Bloodshed and bluster in Ukraine

Post by Ponee Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:27 am

Editorial: Bloodshed and bluster in Ukraine

Published — Friday 21 February 2014

The truce agreed late Wednesday night between Ukraine’s President Viktor Yanukovich and opposition politicians representing the street demonstrators, may possibly see a suspension of the violence which has seen 26 lives lost and 400 injured since Monday. But there is no guarantee.

The core demand of the protesters has long been that Yanukovich himself, who was elected in 2010, should stand down and there be fresh parliamentary and presidential elections. Popular fury was unleashed when the president abandoned a plan for closer integration with the EU, choosing instead to take Russian funds to bail out an already-failing economy.

There were huge peaceful protests around the country, the biggest of which was in Kiev’s Independence Square. When it became clear that, despite sub-zero temperatures, the demonstrators would continue to occupy the square, Yanukovich sent in riot police. Their tactics were brutal. Moreover the president chose to condemn the protestors as terrorists and insects. This caused widespread despair among previously uncommitted Ukrainians. They joined the demonstrators. Even ethnic Russians in eastern cities showed their disgust by occupying government buildings.

On Tuesday night Yanukovich said the protests amounted to a coup. He said that the police needed to be supported by the armed forces. Opposition politicians took this as being tantamount to a declaration of civil war. That may well have been the view of head of the armed force general staff, General Volodymyr Zamana, who is rumored to have refused the order his men to attack civilians. Yanukovich dismissed him, replacing him with navy chief, Admiral Yuri Ilyin.

Before the truce was declared, all seemed prepared for a terrible showdown. It may yet happen. Little noted in Western press reports is the presence on neo-Nazi thugs among the demonstrators. These people last came to world attention during international football matches, when they screamed monkey noises at black players. While few in number, their use of fireworks and petrol bombs has been a major provocation. Moderate protestors have sought to control them — throwing them out of one government building that they had decided to occupy.

Trying to air-brush these hooligans out of the picture is a mistake. But it can be explained. The EU and the United States are both threatening sanctions unless the violence stops. Whenever the international community sets off for the moral high ground, it can be expected to ignore inconvenient truths. First off, the violence this week has not been one-sided. Ten of the 28 dead are policemen. Then there is the fact that Yanukovich and his Parliament were chosen three years ago in elections that were considered basically free and fair. He and his legislators therefore have a democratic mandate. For sure their handling of the protests has been inept, even perhaps criminal. But that is a matter for a court to decide at some future date. What the international community has to figure out is how to work with a legitimate government, whose interpretation of what is happening on its streets, is very different from that in Brussels and Washington.

Economic and administrative sanctions are threatened. Ukrainian politicians and people associated with the government have already had visa restrictions imposed on them by US. In the long-term, it is possible that sanctions might have an effect, though Russia can be expected to do everything possible to circumvent them. It is however hard to see what impact they can have right now on a beleaguered Yanukovich government. The foreign ministers from Germany, France and Poland all went on Thursday to Kiev to see for themselves what is happening and to talk to both government and opposition figures. The visit will have given the Ukrainian president a chance to gauge the commitment of European states to the very notion of sanctions. The Poles are known to be unhappy with the idea. Without consensus, the EU will be once again blustering.

Moscow of course will see the moves by Washington and Brussels as an attempt to strong-arm Yanukovich into closer union with Europe. It certainly seems absurd that by sending three foreign ministers to Kiev on Thursday, the EU should be trying to act as honest brokers. It would be far more appropriate for the UN to be sending a negotiator of the same standing as Lakhdar Brahimi, to find some common ground between the two sides. Comparing Ukraine with Syria is perhaps not so far-fetched. After all President Barack Obama has just warned Yanukovich “that there will be consequences” if his administration “steps over the line.” Obama, of course, most famously made a similar promise over Assad’s use of chemical weapons. So Viktor Yanukovich has nothing to worry about from the United States.

Ponee
Ponee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum