Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» The Rockefellers and the controllers are freaking out right about now
Bank of Greece Breaks Silence on Bitcoin I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2024 11:16 am by kenlej

» Phony Tony sez: Full Steam Ahead!
Bank of Greece Breaks Silence on Bitcoin I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:51 am by Mission1st

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
Bank of Greece Breaks Silence on Bitcoin I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:45 am by Mission1st

» Russia aren't taking any prisoners
Bank of Greece Breaks Silence on Bitcoin I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2024 6:48 pm by kenlej

» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
Bank of Greece Breaks Silence on Bitcoin I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» ZIGPLACE
Bank of Greece Breaks Silence on Bitcoin I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
Bank of Greece Breaks Silence on Bitcoin I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
Bank of Greece Breaks Silence on Bitcoin I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
Bank of Greece Breaks Silence on Bitcoin I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
Bank of Greece Breaks Silence on Bitcoin I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
Bank of Greece Breaks Silence on Bitcoin I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
Bank of Greece Breaks Silence on Bitcoin I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
Bank of Greece Breaks Silence on Bitcoin I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
Bank of Greece Breaks Silence on Bitcoin I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
Bank of Greece Breaks Silence on Bitcoin I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
Bank of Greece Breaks Silence on Bitcoin I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

» The second American Revolution has begun, God Bless Texas
Bank of Greece Breaks Silence on Bitcoin I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 6:13 pm by kenlej

» The Global Currency Reset Evolution Event Will Begin With Gold, Zimbabwe ZWR Old Bank Notes
Bank of Greece Breaks Silence on Bitcoin I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 28, 2024 3:28 pm by Mission1st

» Tucker talking Canada
Bank of Greece Breaks Silence on Bitcoin I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2024 6:50 pm by kenlej

» Almost to the end The goodguys are winning
Bank of Greece Breaks Silence on Bitcoin I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 9:03 pm by kenlej

Bank of Greece Breaks Silence on Bitcoin

Go down

Bank of Greece Breaks Silence on Bitcoin Empty Bank of Greece Breaks Silence on Bitcoin

Post by Ponee Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:02 pm

Bank of Greece Breaks Silence on Bitcoin
Pete Rizzo (@pete_rizzo_) | Published on February 13, 2014
Bank of Greece Breaks Silence on Bitcoin Shutterstock_138600809-300x185

The Bank of Greece issued a brief statement on 11th February warning citizens of the potential risks associated with virtual currencies, such as bitcoin.
In particular, the bank cautioned that investors should be mindful that losses related to changes in the price of virtual currencies are not protected.

A recently released report from the [url=http://www.loc.gov/law/help/bitcoin-survey/2014-010233 Compiled report_.pdf?loclr=bloglaw]Law Library of Congress[/url], the research arm of the US Congress, suggests that this is the first time the Bank of Greece has issued a statement on virtual currencies.

Citing past statements from the European Banking Authority, the release included introductory information meant to guide consumer decision-making, as well as material that further informed readers of the potential tax implications and legal consequences associated with the use of virtual currency.

The announcement comes after a string of similar remarks from other European central banks, such as the Central Bank of Lithuania and the Central Bank of Cyprus, which both issued statements to raise awareness of the potential risks of virtual currencies in the last week.

The Bank of Greece did respond to requests for comment, but declined to elaborate on the timing of the release.

Initial reactions
Greek bitcoin users have suggested that bitcoin has yet to garner mainstream media attention in the country, and that awareness remains low as a result – although some businesses in major metropolitan areas are beginning to accept payments in BTC. Therefore, they say, the bank’s statement is unlikely to have much of an impact on the Mediterranean nation’s fledgling virtual currency ecosystem, but it could influence those who have yet to become involved.

Computer scientist and bitcoin enthusiast George Zervos described the current state of the ecosystem to CoinDesk:
“I can assure you that most people [have] heard about bitcoin, but [they] don’t exactly know what it is or how to explain it to someone if asked.”
Zervos went on to suggest that Greece’s ongoing problems with tax evasion have likely stoked fears in its banking community that more wealth could “flow out of the country into bitcoin exchanges [in order to] to avoid tax”.

Potential impact
Problems with the Greek banking system in 2013 were initially cited as one of the driving factors of bitcoin’s surge in value, along with similar issues in Cyprus, Italy and Spain.
At the time, Greece was in the midst of imposing severe austerity measures in an attempt to fight its escalating debt-to-GDP ratio, and members of the bitcoin community, such as Charlie Shrem publicly discussed how bitcoin’s advantages could prove attractive to the market.

When asked, members of Greece’s bitcoin community seemed convinced that the bank’s statement will not affect current bitcoin users.
Zervos concluded:

“We all know that banks are fighting bitcoin in one way or another. Personally I think not much has changed since this warning.”
Bitcoin developer and miner Yorgos Ntovas agreed Greek bitcoin users will be indifferent to the statement.

“I do not think that the Bank of Greece has any impact in Greece’s bitcoin ecosystem. The Bank of Greece has a bad reputation in Greece, and for that, users do not pay any attention at all,” he said.

Bank of Greece image via Shutterstock

Ponee
Ponee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum