Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» The Rockefellers and the controllers are freaking out right about now
eBay Views BitPay and Coinbase as Potential PayPal Competitors I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2024 11:16 am by kenlej

» Phony Tony sez: Full Steam Ahead!
eBay Views BitPay and Coinbase as Potential PayPal Competitors I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:51 am by Mission1st

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
eBay Views BitPay and Coinbase as Potential PayPal Competitors I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:45 am by Mission1st

» Russia aren't taking any prisoners
eBay Views BitPay and Coinbase as Potential PayPal Competitors I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2024 6:48 pm by kenlej

» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
eBay Views BitPay and Coinbase as Potential PayPal Competitors I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» ZIGPLACE
eBay Views BitPay and Coinbase as Potential PayPal Competitors I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
eBay Views BitPay and Coinbase as Potential PayPal Competitors I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
eBay Views BitPay and Coinbase as Potential PayPal Competitors I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
eBay Views BitPay and Coinbase as Potential PayPal Competitors I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
eBay Views BitPay and Coinbase as Potential PayPal Competitors I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
eBay Views BitPay and Coinbase as Potential PayPal Competitors I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
eBay Views BitPay and Coinbase as Potential PayPal Competitors I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
eBay Views BitPay and Coinbase as Potential PayPal Competitors I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
eBay Views BitPay and Coinbase as Potential PayPal Competitors I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
eBay Views BitPay and Coinbase as Potential PayPal Competitors I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
eBay Views BitPay and Coinbase as Potential PayPal Competitors I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

» The second American Revolution has begun, God Bless Texas
eBay Views BitPay and Coinbase as Potential PayPal Competitors I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 6:13 pm by kenlej

» The Global Currency Reset Evolution Event Will Begin With Gold, Zimbabwe ZWR Old Bank Notes
eBay Views BitPay and Coinbase as Potential PayPal Competitors I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 28, 2024 3:28 pm by Mission1st

» Tucker talking Canada
eBay Views BitPay and Coinbase as Potential PayPal Competitors I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2024 6:50 pm by kenlej

» Almost to the end The goodguys are winning
eBay Views BitPay and Coinbase as Potential PayPal Competitors I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 9:03 pm by kenlej

eBay Views BitPay and Coinbase as Potential PayPal Competitors

Go down

eBay Views BitPay and Coinbase as Potential PayPal Competitors Empty eBay Views BitPay and Coinbase as Potential PayPal Competitors

Post by Ponee Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:44 am

eBay Views BitPay and Coinbase as Potential PayPal Competitors

Nermin Hajdarbegovic | Published on February 4, 2014 at 10:58 GMT | BitPay, Coinbase, Companies, News

eBay Views BitPay and Coinbase as Potential PayPal Competitors 8531322820_9be2b46323_b-300x185

According to its latest annual regulatory filing, eBay views bitcoin platforms as potential competitors to PayPal.

Annual reports filed to the US Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) rarely make for compelling reading, but the latest report filed by eBay is a bit different.

The company’s 10-K is bland, but the section on PayPal might cause some buzz in the bitcoin community. In the report eBay outlines the scope and operation of PayPal, and it goes on to itemize competitive challenges faced by the service.

Such challengers include: providers of digital wallets, payment card processors, Amazon payments, providers of mobile payment services and card readers for mobile devices, as well as omni-channel POS (point of sale) solutions.

In addition, PayPal faces competition and potential competition for money remitters, bill payment services, issuers of stored value targeted at online payments, providers of online account-based payments, various payment services and digital currencies.

Merchant services

BitPay and Coinbase are named as examples of “services that help merchants accept and manage digital currencies such as bitcoin.”

Of course, this does not necessarily mean that eBay views bitcoin as a serious threat or a disruptor, but it’s no longer under the radar.

PayPal is in a different league altogether. It boasts more than a quarter of a billion accounts (including inactive ones) and it supports 26 currencies worldwide.

eBay Views BitPay and Coinbase as Potential PayPal Competitors Ebay-logo-580x333

The value of transactions carried out on PayPal easily dwarfs the market cap of bitcoin on its best day.

In spite of that, it is easy to see why eBay would list digital currencies as potential competitors. PayPal transaction fees are roughly 2%, but they are somewhat lower for high-volume merchants.

The company has taken steps to reduce fees for micropayments, but PayPal defines all transactions of $12 or less as ‘micropayments’. Much smaller transactions (ie less than $1) remain impractical.

Digital currencies can offer affordable microypaments, even under the $1 threshold, which could potentially render them attractive for various content providers.

A recent report from PricewaterhouseCoopers described paywalls as the “logical first choice” for bitcoin deployment and as similar approach could be used for in-app purchases, online gambling and just about any industry that would benefit from cheap micropayments.

Disclaimer: CoinDesk founder Shakil Khan is an investor in BitPay.

Image Credit: Janitors / Flickr

http://www.coindesk.com/ebay-views-bitpay-coinbase-potential-paypal-competitors/

Ponee
Ponee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum