Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Textbook Tony
Growing Brussell Sprouts I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2024 4:13 pm by Mission1st

» The Rockefellers and the controllers are freaking out right about now
Growing Brussell Sprouts I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2024 11:16 am by kenlej

» Phony Tony sez: Full Steam Ahead!
Growing Brussell Sprouts I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:51 am by Mission1st

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
Growing Brussell Sprouts I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:45 am by Mission1st

» Russia aren't taking any prisoners
Growing Brussell Sprouts I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2024 6:48 pm by kenlej

» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
Growing Brussell Sprouts I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» ZIGPLACE
Growing Brussell Sprouts I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
Growing Brussell Sprouts I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
Growing Brussell Sprouts I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
Growing Brussell Sprouts I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
Growing Brussell Sprouts I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
Growing Brussell Sprouts I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
Growing Brussell Sprouts I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
Growing Brussell Sprouts I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
Growing Brussell Sprouts I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
Growing Brussell Sprouts I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
Growing Brussell Sprouts I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

» The second American Revolution has begun, God Bless Texas
Growing Brussell Sprouts I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 6:13 pm by kenlej

» The Global Currency Reset Evolution Event Will Begin With Gold, Zimbabwe ZWR Old Bank Notes
Growing Brussell Sprouts I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 28, 2024 3:28 pm by Mission1st

» Tucker talking Canada
Growing Brussell Sprouts I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2024 6:50 pm by kenlej

Growing Brussell Sprouts

3 posters

Go down

Growing Brussell Sprouts Empty Growing Brussell Sprouts

Post by alleyrose Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:54 pm

Growing Brussell Sprouts Brussel-Sprouts-sq%20jpg

One of the most unusual members of the cabbage family, Brussels sprout plants develop miniature cabbage heads along the main stem, starting from the bottom up. Sprout formation does not begin until the plants are mature, which can occur 90 to 120 days after transplanting, depending on variety and weather conditions.
Exposure to frost improves the flavor of Brussels sprouts, so they are a yearly treat of early winter. Where winters are mild, Brussels sprouts can be grown through winter for harvest in early spring.
Types of Brussels Sprouts

Brussels sprout varieties vary in growth rate, productivity and color. Hybrids including ‘Diablo’ and ‘Dimitri’ have been the most productive in field trials in a variety of locations. Where these reliable varieties do well, you can also try heirlooms such as ‘Long Island’ or red ‘Rubine.’

Days to maturity ratings for Brussels sprout varieties range between 90 and 120 days, with most varieties falling in between. However, this estimate represents the date of your first picking only. Brussels sprout plants that start producing about two weeks before your last frost date will bear good crops over a long season. When growing Brussels sprouts, expect weekly harvests of four to five sprouts per plant for about six weeks.
How to Plant Brussels Sprouts

Unlike cabbage and broccoli, growing Brussels sprouts is seldom successful from plants set out in spring. Hot weather that arrives just as spring-planted sprouts start sprouting ruins their flavor and texture, and the plants become magnets for insects.

It is much better to wait until late spring or early summer to start Brussels sprout seeds. Recommended seeding dates for a few locations include March 30 in Rhode Island, May 15 in New York, June 5 in West Virginia, and July 1 in Alabama. Harden off the seedlings before setting them out in well-prepared soil, and plan to cover them with lightweight row cover or tulle to exclude insect pests.

Brussels sprouts are heavy feeders that demand moist, fertile soil with a pH between 6.0 and 7.0. The ideal soil texture for Brussels sprouts is clay, because tight clay helps hold the roots firm when the large plants are blown by harsh winds. Mix in a generous application of a balanced organic fertilizer before planting, and use a biodegradable mulch of grass clippings or coarse compost to insulate the roots from summer’s heat.
For recommended planting dates for your local climate — and to design your garden beds — try our Vegetable Garden Planner.

Growing Brussels Sprouts
Featherweight row cover held aloft with hoops or stakes is the easiest way to protect Brussels sprout plants from grasshoppers and other summer insects. When the plants are 12 inches tall, top-dress them with a high nitrogen organic fertilizer such as composted manure.

As plants grow, stake plants to keep them from falling over. Upright Brussels sprout plants produce better than crooked ones.

Harvesting and Storing Brussels Sprouts
To harvest, twist off sprouts, a few at a time, as soon as they are at least one-half inch in diameter. Keep in mind that the first sprouts are often much smaller than those produced later in the season. Breaking off the lowest leaves gives nearby sprouts more room to grow.

Refrigerate harvested sprouts immediately. Brussels sprouts will keep in the refrigerator for several weeks, or they can be blanched and frozen. Here’s another neat storage option: In the North where the plants grow quite large, they can be pulled from the garden with sprouts still attached, stripped of their leaves, and stuck into a bucket of damp sand kept in a cold root cellar.
Propagating Brussels Sprouts

As biennials, Brussels sprouts produce yellow flowers followed by elongated seedpods in their second year. When the seedpods dry to tan, gather them in a paper bag, and allow them to dry indoors for a week. Shatter the dry pods and collect the largest seeds for replanting. Under good conditions, Brussels sprouts seeds will store up to three years.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/organic-gardening/growing-brussels-sprouts-zw0z1312zsto.aspx?PageId=1#ArticleContent

All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us.........~Gandalf~

Come visit me: www.alleysplace.net
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alleysplace1/
alleyrose
alleyrose
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Growing Brussell Sprouts Empty Re: Growing Brussell Sprouts

Post by Ponee Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:56 pm

Cabbage family?   Well isn't that interesting?  I love brussel sprouts by the way !

Ponee
Ponee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by alleyrose Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:45 pm

Yes I love brussell sprouts too! Cooked in butter onion and bacon yummo!!

All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us.........~Gandalf~

alleyrose
alleyrose
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevind53 Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:45 pm

I'll pass ...

Trust but Verify --- R Reagan Suspect

"Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you."1 Thessalonians 5:14–18

Growing Brussell Sprouts 2805820865  Growing Brussell Sprouts 2805820865  Growing Brussell Sprouts 2805820865  Growing Brussell Sprouts 2805820865
Kevind53
Kevind53
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by alleyrose Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:30 pm

Ohhhhhh don't you like brussell sprouts Kevin? They are really good for you!!

alleyrose
alleyrose
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevind53 Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:43 pm

Hate come to mind ... I have only liked one dish made with them ever, and that was a slaw.

Trust but Verify --- R Reagan Suspect

"Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you."1 Thessalonians 5:14–18

Growing Brussell Sprouts 2805820865  Growing Brussell Sprouts 2805820865  Growing Brussell Sprouts 2805820865  Growing Brussell Sprouts 2805820865
Kevind53
Kevind53
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum