Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Textbook Tony
All About Growing Blackberries I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2024 4:13 pm by Mission1st

» The Rockefellers and the controllers are freaking out right about now
All About Growing Blackberries I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2024 11:16 am by kenlej

» Phony Tony sez: Full Steam Ahead!
All About Growing Blackberries I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:51 am by Mission1st

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
All About Growing Blackberries I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:45 am by Mission1st

» Russia aren't taking any prisoners
All About Growing Blackberries I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2024 6:48 pm by kenlej

» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
All About Growing Blackberries I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» ZIGPLACE
All About Growing Blackberries I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
All About Growing Blackberries I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
All About Growing Blackberries I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
All About Growing Blackberries I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
All About Growing Blackberries I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
All About Growing Blackberries I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
All About Growing Blackberries I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
All About Growing Blackberries I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
All About Growing Blackberries I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
All About Growing Blackberries I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
All About Growing Blackberries I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

» The second American Revolution has begun, God Bless Texas
All About Growing Blackberries I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 6:13 pm by kenlej

» The Global Currency Reset Evolution Event Will Begin With Gold, Zimbabwe ZWR Old Bank Notes
All About Growing Blackberries I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 28, 2024 3:28 pm by Mission1st

» Tucker talking Canada
All About Growing Blackberries I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2024 6:50 pm by kenlej

All About Growing Blackberries

Go down

All About Growing Blackberries Empty All About Growing Blackberries

Post by alleyrose Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:09 pm

All About Growing Blackberries Blackberries-550%20jpg
The best characteristics of a dozen species of native Rubus species are represented in modern blackberry varieties. Dependable and easy to grow in Zones 6 to 9, several new primocane blackberries (which bear on new canes in late summer) produce good crops in Zone 5. Among the most nutritious food crops you can grow, blackberry plants begin bearing a year after planting, and continue to produce for many years with minimal care.
Types of Blackberries
Erect blackberries can be grown as a head-high hedge that needs little or no support when properly pruned. Good erect blackberry varieties include ‘Navaho’ (which are thornless) and numerous varieties with thorns, including ‘Illini Hardy’ and ‘Darrow.’
Semi-trailing blackberries need a fence or trellis to keep them upright, but with good pruning these thornless varieties can produce very high yields. Good varieties include ‘Chester,’ ‘Doyle,’ ‘Natchez’ and ‘Triple Crown.’
Trailing blackberries grow long, wandering canes that need guidance and pruning, like climbing roses. At their best in the cool Northwest, the ‘Marionberry’ cultivar has thorns, but ‘Waldo’ and ‘Loch Ness’ are thornless.
Primocane blackberries bear on the current season’s growth, starting in midsummer. Varieties such as ‘Prime Jim’ and ‘Prime Jan’ (both thorny) can extend the blackberry season into early fall, or make blackberry production possible where cold winters cause cane injury in other blackberry varieties.
How to Plant Blackberries
Growing blackberries is easy in a sunny to partially shaded spot that has well-drained soil with a pH between 6.0 and 6.5. Enrich the site with plenty of organic matter so that the top 6 inches of soil will retain moisture well. In garden-size plantings, allow 4 feet between erect and semi-trailing blackberry plants, or 6 to 8 feet between trailing varieties. Single plants of very productive varieties such as ‘Triple Crown’ can be grown on an upright pillar, or you can plant two or three plants together in a mound. Plant crowns about 3 inches deep, and water well.
For recommended planting dates for your local climate — and to design your garden beds — try our Vegetable Garden Planner.
Growing Blackberries
Mulch blackberries with 3 inches of an organic mulch year round. Chopped leaves, grass clippings, wood chips and sawdust are all good blackberry mulches. In spring, feed established plants with a balanced organic fertilizer or a topdressing of composted manure before renewing the mulch.
In midsummer, cut off the tops of new canes at no more than 6 feet from the ground. This pruning triggers the growth of heavy-bearing lateral branches. In fall or early spring, prune the tips of these lateral branches to 12 to 18 inches long. Pruning is especially important with productive varieties such as ‘Nachez’ and ‘Triple Crown,’ which tend to set huge crops of small fruit when left unpruned.

Harvesting and Storage
Blackberries are ready to harvest about 40 days after blooming, but most varieties taste best when allowed to ripen to dull black before they are picked. Harvest ripe berries in the morning when they are cool, and handle them carefully to avoid crushing. Refrigerate immediately. Whole washed blackberries, patted dry, can be frozen for later use. Blackberry juice, jams and jellies are easy to process in a water bath or steam canner.
Propagating Blackberries
In spring, as soon as new green sprouts appear, use a sharp knife or small spade to cut shoots with roots attached from parent plants. Transplant immediately. Most blackberries also can be propagated using the tip layering method, in which the tips of long canes are encouraged to bend over and take root in nearby spots.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/organic-gardening/growing-blackberries-zw0z1312zsto.aspx?PageId=1#ArticleContent

All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us.........~Gandalf~

Come visit me: www.alleysplace.net
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alleysplace1/
alleyrose
alleyrose
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum