Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» The Rockefellers and the controllers are freaking out right about now
U.S. Charges Bitcoin Exchangers Linked to Silk Road Drug Bazaar I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2024 11:16 am by kenlej

» Phony Tony sez: Full Steam Ahead!
U.S. Charges Bitcoin Exchangers Linked to Silk Road Drug Bazaar I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:51 am by Mission1st

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
U.S. Charges Bitcoin Exchangers Linked to Silk Road Drug Bazaar I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:45 am by Mission1st

» Russia aren't taking any prisoners
U.S. Charges Bitcoin Exchangers Linked to Silk Road Drug Bazaar I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2024 6:48 pm by kenlej

» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
U.S. Charges Bitcoin Exchangers Linked to Silk Road Drug Bazaar I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» ZIGPLACE
U.S. Charges Bitcoin Exchangers Linked to Silk Road Drug Bazaar I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
U.S. Charges Bitcoin Exchangers Linked to Silk Road Drug Bazaar I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
U.S. Charges Bitcoin Exchangers Linked to Silk Road Drug Bazaar I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
U.S. Charges Bitcoin Exchangers Linked to Silk Road Drug Bazaar I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
U.S. Charges Bitcoin Exchangers Linked to Silk Road Drug Bazaar I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
U.S. Charges Bitcoin Exchangers Linked to Silk Road Drug Bazaar I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
U.S. Charges Bitcoin Exchangers Linked to Silk Road Drug Bazaar I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
U.S. Charges Bitcoin Exchangers Linked to Silk Road Drug Bazaar I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
U.S. Charges Bitcoin Exchangers Linked to Silk Road Drug Bazaar I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
U.S. Charges Bitcoin Exchangers Linked to Silk Road Drug Bazaar I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
U.S. Charges Bitcoin Exchangers Linked to Silk Road Drug Bazaar I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

» The second American Revolution has begun, God Bless Texas
U.S. Charges Bitcoin Exchangers Linked to Silk Road Drug Bazaar I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 6:13 pm by kenlej

» The Global Currency Reset Evolution Event Will Begin With Gold, Zimbabwe ZWR Old Bank Notes
U.S. Charges Bitcoin Exchangers Linked to Silk Road Drug Bazaar I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 28, 2024 3:28 pm by Mission1st

» Tucker talking Canada
U.S. Charges Bitcoin Exchangers Linked to Silk Road Drug Bazaar I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2024 6:50 pm by kenlej

» Almost to the end The goodguys are winning
U.S. Charges Bitcoin Exchangers Linked to Silk Road Drug Bazaar I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 9:03 pm by kenlej

U.S. Charges Bitcoin Exchangers Linked to Silk Road Drug Bazaar

3 posters

Go down

U.S. Charges Bitcoin Exchangers Linked to Silk Road Drug Bazaar Empty U.S. Charges Bitcoin Exchangers Linked to Silk Road Drug Bazaar

Post by Kevind53 Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:50 pm

By Matt Egan
Published January 27, 2014
FOXBusiness

Federal prosecutors unsealed criminal charges on Monday against a pair of individuals who they say sold Bitcoins that were later used to buy and sell drugs on Silk Road, signaling a desire by law enforcement to target those who use crypto currencies to facilitate shady activities.

The compliant marks the latest fallout from Silk Road, the online drug bazaar that U.S. authorities shut down last year and later seized millions of dollars worth of Bitcoin from. It also highlights a concerted effort to crack down on those who use Bitcoin to enable illicit activities.

“When Bitcoins, like any traditional currency, are laundered and used to fuel criminal activity, law enforcement has no choice but to act,” Manhattan U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara said in a statement. “We will aggressively pursue those who would coopt new forms of currency for illicit purposes.”

This isn’t the first time Bharara’s office has gone after a digital currency. Last year, the U.S. successfully shut down Liberty Reserve, which it accused of handling $6 billion worth of illicit transactions.

“Basically, the government is putting the industry on notice. Either you do what we’re asking for or we’re going to put you out of business,” said Annemarie McAvoy, a former federal prosecutor who is now a professor at Fordham Law School. “They’ve brought two (cases), and I’m sure this is not the last.”

The two individuals named in the charges are Robert Faiella, who prosecutors say was an underground Bitcoin exchanger, and Charlie Shrem, CEO and compliance officer of a Bitcoin exchange company.

Federal prosecutors charged Faiella, 52, and Shrem, 24, with engaging in a scheme to sell more than $1 million of Bitcoins to users of Silk Road. Each defendant was charged with conspiring to commit money laundering, which carries a maximum prison sentence of 20 years. They are additionally charged with operating an unlicensed money transmitting business, which has a max sentence of five years in prison.

The U.S. also charged Shrem with violating the Bank Secrecy Act by “willfully failing” to file suspicious activity reports on Faiella’s questionable transactions. This charge carries a maximum sentence of five years in prison.

The charges highlight how one of the characteristics that makes Bitcoin appealing -- its privacy -- has put the currency in the crosshairs of law enforcement. Last year, a division of the Treasury Department issued new legal guidelines saying exchangers of digital currencies must register as money services businesses and comply with anti-money laundering regulations.

“Law enforcement wants to be able to maintain control. They want to be able to follow the money. Here, you can’t – and that’s worrying them,” said McAvoy.

In addition to the Manhattan U.S. Attorney, the charges were announced by the Drug Enforcement Agency and the criminal investigation division of the Internal Revenue Service.

“Hiding behind their computers, both defendants are charged with knowingly contributing to and facilitating anonymous drug sales, earning substantial profits along the way,” said DEA acting special-agent-in-charge James Hunt.

Schrem was apprehended by authorities at JFK International Airport in New York on Sunday and is set to appear in federal court in Manhattan later on Monday. Faiella was arrested at his Cape Coral, Fla., home on Monday and is expected to appear in federal court in the Middle District of Florida.

The court documents allege Faiella operated an underground Bitcoin exchange on the Silk Road website between December 2011 and October 2013 that sold the crypto currency to users who wanted to buy illegal drugs on the site. After receiving orders, he filled them through a New York company designed to enable customers to exchange cash for Bitcoins anonymously, the U.S. alleges.

Shrem served as the New York Bitcoin company’s CEO during much of that timeframe and was “fully aware that Silk Road was a drug-trafficking website” and that Faiella was operating an exchange service for Silk Road users, the documents say.

Prosecutors say Shrem still did business with Faiella to maintain a “lucrative source” of revenue. He personally processed Faiella’s orders, gave him discounts on high-volume transactions, failed to file a single suspicious activity report and even helped Faiella “circumvent” the company’s anti-money laundering policies, the documents allege.

Bharara said the investigation remains ongoing.

The value of Bitcoin tumbled in October following the FBI raid of Silk Road, which resulted in the forfeiture of about 29,655 Bitcoins. The action underscored the legal and regulatory concerns that continue to dog Bitcoin even as its value has surged over the past two years.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/technology/2014/01/27/us-charges-bitcoin-exchangers-linked-to-silk-road-drug-bazaar/

Trust but Verify --- R Reagan Suspect

"Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you."1 Thessalonians 5:14–18

U.S. Charges Bitcoin Exchangers Linked to Silk Road Drug Bazaar 2805820865  U.S. Charges Bitcoin Exchangers Linked to Silk Road Drug Bazaar 2805820865  U.S. Charges Bitcoin Exchangers Linked to Silk Road Drug Bazaar 2805820865  U.S. Charges Bitcoin Exchangers Linked to Silk Road Drug Bazaar 2805820865
Kevind53
Kevind53
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

U.S. Charges Bitcoin Exchangers Linked to Silk Road Drug Bazaar Empty Re: U.S. Charges Bitcoin Exchangers Linked to Silk Road Drug Bazaar

Post by Ponee Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:44 pm

Interesting in deed....

Ponee
Ponee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

U.S. Charges Bitcoin Exchangers Linked to Silk Road Drug Bazaar Empty Re: U.S. Charges Bitcoin Exchangers Linked to Silk Road Drug Bazaar

Post by Guest Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:32 pm

I am afraid it can go this way since there is no police/regulations and they don't go through banks.  This can tumble bitcoins value.  Who knows what activities been going on bitcoin since no middleman/banks so you can do personal transaction directly.

Back to top Go down

Post by livingintheloop69 Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:59 am

i feel this is more political than anything else. look at i think it was hsbc or wells fargo who knowingly laundered billions in drug money for cartels and they got slapped on the wrist, no criminal charges just fines.

this guy doesn't even really do anything wrong and is charged like a criminal.

im sure all of us who have bought dinar in larger quantities know we have had to give info. it seems all these money regulations are so complicated and ever changing it would be impossible to keep up with all of them. whats legal in one state and what one state would love a btc business comming to them in another state would be a felony. for a bitcoin business i believe south carolina or wyoming are the best states as they dont regulate money transmitters which is what the gov is claiming bitcoin companies are even though the gov themselves dont even recognize bitcoin as a currency.

honestly if you work iwth the banks and got clout and money whatever you do is okay, if your part of btc, something which takes control and power away from the gov and banks then they are gonna come after you

livingintheloop69
Forum Friend
Forum Friend

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum