Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Textbook Tony
Growing Organic Vegetables and Fruits:  Our Complete Crops at a Glance Guide I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2024 4:13 pm by Mission1st

» The Rockefellers and the controllers are freaking out right about now
Growing Organic Vegetables and Fruits:  Our Complete Crops at a Glance Guide I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2024 11:16 am by kenlej

» Phony Tony sez: Full Steam Ahead!
Growing Organic Vegetables and Fruits:  Our Complete Crops at a Glance Guide I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:51 am by Mission1st

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
Growing Organic Vegetables and Fruits:  Our Complete Crops at a Glance Guide I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:45 am by Mission1st

» Russia aren't taking any prisoners
Growing Organic Vegetables and Fruits:  Our Complete Crops at a Glance Guide I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2024 6:48 pm by kenlej

» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
Growing Organic Vegetables and Fruits:  Our Complete Crops at a Glance Guide I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» ZIGPLACE
Growing Organic Vegetables and Fruits:  Our Complete Crops at a Glance Guide I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
Growing Organic Vegetables and Fruits:  Our Complete Crops at a Glance Guide I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
Growing Organic Vegetables and Fruits:  Our Complete Crops at a Glance Guide I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
Growing Organic Vegetables and Fruits:  Our Complete Crops at a Glance Guide I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
Growing Organic Vegetables and Fruits:  Our Complete Crops at a Glance Guide I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
Growing Organic Vegetables and Fruits:  Our Complete Crops at a Glance Guide I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
Growing Organic Vegetables and Fruits:  Our Complete Crops at a Glance Guide I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
Growing Organic Vegetables and Fruits:  Our Complete Crops at a Glance Guide I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
Growing Organic Vegetables and Fruits:  Our Complete Crops at a Glance Guide I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
Growing Organic Vegetables and Fruits:  Our Complete Crops at a Glance Guide I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
Growing Organic Vegetables and Fruits:  Our Complete Crops at a Glance Guide I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

» The second American Revolution has begun, God Bless Texas
Growing Organic Vegetables and Fruits:  Our Complete Crops at a Glance Guide I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 6:13 pm by kenlej

» The Global Currency Reset Evolution Event Will Begin With Gold, Zimbabwe ZWR Old Bank Notes
Growing Organic Vegetables and Fruits:  Our Complete Crops at a Glance Guide I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 28, 2024 3:28 pm by Mission1st

» Tucker talking Canada
Growing Organic Vegetables and Fruits:  Our Complete Crops at a Glance Guide I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2024 6:50 pm by kenlej

Growing Organic Vegetables and Fruits: Our Complete Crops at a Glance Guide

Go down

Growing Organic Vegetables and Fruits:  Our Complete Crops at a Glance Guide Empty Growing Organic Vegetables and Fruits: Our Complete Crops at a Glance Guide

Post by alleyrose Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:11 pm

Each day I am going to post a guide to growing a specific crop starting in alphabetical order! The first crop is.......

ARTICHOKE

Growing Organic Vegetables and Fruits:  Our Complete Crops at a Glance Guide Growing-Artichokes-550%20jpg

Native to the mild climates of the Southern Mediterranean, globe artichokes (Cynara scolymus) are half-hardy perennial thistles that are easily killed by temperatures below 20 degrees Fahrenheit. Where winters are mild, you can grow globe artichokes as perennials, replacing plants every four years. In most areas, though, globe artichokes must be grown as annuals. Growing artichokes from seeds started in late winter will produce edible buds in midsummer and fall. The edible plant parts are the immature artichoke flower buds.

Types of Artichokes

Green artichoke varieties include ‘Imperial Star,’ the best variety to handle as an annual, and ‘Green Globe,’ a heavy-bearing perennial hardy to Zone 7.

Purple artichokes include ‘Violetta,’ an heirloom variety hardy to Zone 6, and the fast-maturing ‘Opera’ hybrid.
How to Plant Artichokes

Start artichoke seeds indoors in late winter, under bright florescent lights. The large seeds will germinate within a week at warm room temperatures, and seedlings should be potted into larger containers as they grow. Six weeks before your last frost date, start hardening off seedlings by gradually exposing them to bright sun, wind and cool temperatures.

Set artichoke plants out in prepared beds 3 to 4 weeks before your last frost date. Exposure to cool temperatures below 45 degrees is necessary to trigger flowering. Before transplanting artichokes, enrich each planting hole with a balanced organic fertilizer, and space plants 3 feet apart.

Globe artichokes have average fertility needs, similar to those of tomatoes. In areas where artichokes are grown as perennials, container or bare-rooted plants can be set out in spring.  When setting out artichoke seedlings, plant them slightly high, so that the crown is well above the soil line.

For recommended planting dates for your local climate — and to design your garden beds — try our Vegetable Garden Planner.

Growing Artichokes
A month after planting, drench actively growing artichokes with a high-nitrogen liquid fertilizer to invigorate new growth. Artichoke plants grow 3 to 5 feet tall, and their spiny gray-green foliage makes them useful as edible ornamentals. As older leaves wither, gather them up and compost them.
Harvesting and Storage

In mid- to late-summer, watch for upright flowering stems topped by artichoke flower buds. Use a sharp knife to cut globe artichokes with a 2-inch stub of stem attached when the lowest scales on the bud begin to open, but the top is still tight. Refrigerate artichokes immediately, and wash just before cooking them. After the first artichokes are harvested, plants typically produce a second crop of smaller buds.

For long-term storage, you can freeze whole washed artichokes that have been steamed until just done. When thawed, the artichokes can be cut in half and grilled.

Propagating Artichokes
Artichoke seedlings are not as uniform as other vegetables, and some plants are stronger producers than others. Where globe artichokes are winter hardy, superior plants should be propagated vegetatively, by cutting off the small “pups” that emerge in spring and rooting them.

Vigorous artichoke plants also may be allowed to bloom and set seed where summers are long enough for the seeds to ripen. Choose a large bud from a favorite plant and let it stay on the plant until it blooms and then shrivels to brown. Cut the dried flower and keep it in a paper bag indoors for two weeks before shattering it and gathering the seeds. Under good conditions, artichoke seeds remain viable for at least sixyears.

For information on cooking this delectable crop, check out How to Cook an Artichoke and Many Ways to Eat ’Em. Plus, for growing advice for many more garden crops, check out our complete Crops at a Glance Guide.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/organic-gardening/growing-artichokes-zw0z1312zsto.aspx?PageId=2#ArticleContent
alleyrose
alleyrose
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum