Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» The Rockefellers and the controllers are freaking out right about now
The Rejection Of Saddam Hussein's Dinars Can Explain The Most Interesting Aspect Of Bitcoin I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2024 11:16 am by kenlej

» Phony Tony sez: Full Steam Ahead!
The Rejection Of Saddam Hussein's Dinars Can Explain The Most Interesting Aspect Of Bitcoin I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:51 am by Mission1st

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
The Rejection Of Saddam Hussein's Dinars Can Explain The Most Interesting Aspect Of Bitcoin I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:45 am by Mission1st

» Russia aren't taking any prisoners
The Rejection Of Saddam Hussein's Dinars Can Explain The Most Interesting Aspect Of Bitcoin I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2024 6:48 pm by kenlej

» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
The Rejection Of Saddam Hussein's Dinars Can Explain The Most Interesting Aspect Of Bitcoin I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» ZIGPLACE
The Rejection Of Saddam Hussein's Dinars Can Explain The Most Interesting Aspect Of Bitcoin I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
The Rejection Of Saddam Hussein's Dinars Can Explain The Most Interesting Aspect Of Bitcoin I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
The Rejection Of Saddam Hussein's Dinars Can Explain The Most Interesting Aspect Of Bitcoin I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
The Rejection Of Saddam Hussein's Dinars Can Explain The Most Interesting Aspect Of Bitcoin I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
The Rejection Of Saddam Hussein's Dinars Can Explain The Most Interesting Aspect Of Bitcoin I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
The Rejection Of Saddam Hussein's Dinars Can Explain The Most Interesting Aspect Of Bitcoin I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
The Rejection Of Saddam Hussein's Dinars Can Explain The Most Interesting Aspect Of Bitcoin I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
The Rejection Of Saddam Hussein's Dinars Can Explain The Most Interesting Aspect Of Bitcoin I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
The Rejection Of Saddam Hussein's Dinars Can Explain The Most Interesting Aspect Of Bitcoin I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
The Rejection Of Saddam Hussein's Dinars Can Explain The Most Interesting Aspect Of Bitcoin I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
The Rejection Of Saddam Hussein's Dinars Can Explain The Most Interesting Aspect Of Bitcoin I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

» The second American Revolution has begun, God Bless Texas
The Rejection Of Saddam Hussein's Dinars Can Explain The Most Interesting Aspect Of Bitcoin I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 6:13 pm by kenlej

» The Global Currency Reset Evolution Event Will Begin With Gold, Zimbabwe ZWR Old Bank Notes
The Rejection Of Saddam Hussein's Dinars Can Explain The Most Interesting Aspect Of Bitcoin I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 28, 2024 3:28 pm by Mission1st

» Tucker talking Canada
The Rejection Of Saddam Hussein's Dinars Can Explain The Most Interesting Aspect Of Bitcoin I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2024 6:50 pm by kenlej

» Almost to the end The goodguys are winning
The Rejection Of Saddam Hussein's Dinars Can Explain The Most Interesting Aspect Of Bitcoin I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 9:03 pm by kenlej

The Rejection Of Saddam Hussein's Dinars Can Explain The Most Interesting Aspect Of Bitcoin

3 posters

Go down

The Rejection Of Saddam Hussein's Dinars Can Explain The Most Interesting Aspect Of Bitcoin Empty The Rejection Of Saddam Hussein's Dinars Can Explain The Most Interesting Aspect Of Bitcoin

Post by Ponee Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:43 pm

The Rejection Of Saddam Hussein's Dinars Can Explain The Most Interesting Aspect Of Bitcoin

Jan. 17, 2014, 5:12 AM

The Rejection Of Saddam Hussein's Dinars Can Explain The Most Interesting Aspect Of Bitcoin Saddam-hussein-iraqi-dinar-currency
A portrait of toppled leader Saddam Hussein features June 9, 2003 on a stack of 250 dinar notes, worth about 25 U.S. cents each.

Bitcoin and the digital currency craze appears to be gaining more and more traction. But we have to ask ourselves why this is occurring? After all, Bitcoin isn’t backed by men with guns, the government’s ability to tax, the banking system’s depth or really anything. Bitcoin is the purest form of a decentralized medium of exchange that presently exists. But what makes Bitcoin so interesting is why anyone cares about it at all. And the reason for this is grounded in some work by a great economist at UC Berkeley named Hal Varian.

Hal Varian has spent a good deal of time trying to figure out why a fiat money has any value at all. He has been intrigued by the idea that while fiat money is supposedly backed by legal tender laws and men with guns, it can also always be rejected by its users. So, if people can reject a currency even if it’s backed by a government then surely something else must be a powerful driver of its acceptance. Varian coined the concept of the “network effect”. In essence, we accept money because we know it will be accepted by others as a medium of exchange.

Varian has used an interesting example to prove his point. When the first Iraq war ended UN sanctions forced Saddam Hussein to create new currency to finance his spending. He called these notes “Saddam Dinars” and required the exchange of all outstanding currency for these new notes. But the old notes continued to trade. Over time, Hussein printed so much of the new currency that the old Iraqi Dinar surged in value relative to the new Saddam Dinars. The old Iraqi Dinars became the dominant form of money as Saddam Dinars hyperinflated themselves away.

Boring story? Not in the least! The fact that the old notes even traded at all is curious. After all, they were no longer backed by a government force. They were only good due to social convention and the network effect. And that’s what I find most interesting about Bitcoin. It is most backed by the network effect and social convention. Of course, there’s more to Bitcoin than pure belief, but to a monetary nerd like myself, I find this concept of the network effect and the viability of money to be of particular interest…

Read more: http://pragcap.com/the-most-interesting-aspect-of-bitcoin-as-money#ixzz2qhqnrlW6

Ponee
Ponee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

The Rejection Of Saddam Hussein's Dinars Can Explain The Most Interesting Aspect Of Bitcoin Empty Re: The Rejection Of Saddam Hussein's Dinars Can Explain The Most Interesting Aspect Of Bitcoin

Post by livingintheloop69 Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:44 am

I dont really see that the author really made a connection between bitcoin and iraqi dinar, almost seems like just wanted to write an article with both keywords for better google rank lol. 

that said currency or anything is only worth what someone will give you for it and official exchange rates are only good if the population buys into them. look at argentina where the offical rate is about 5 but to get a dollar you'd have to give 9 or 10

livingintheloop69
Forum Friend
Forum Friend

Back to top Go down

The Rejection Of Saddam Hussein's Dinars Can Explain The Most Interesting Aspect Of Bitcoin Empty Re: The Rejection Of Saddam Hussein's Dinars Can Explain The Most Interesting Aspect Of Bitcoin

Post by Ponee Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:49 am

I am glad you said that  LITL because I thought I was dense and didnt get the article.

Ponee
Ponee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevind53 Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:22 pm

Well that makes three of us ... my reaction was ummm ... yea, right ...

Trust but Verify --- R Reagan Suspect

"Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you."1 Thessalonians 5:14–18

The Rejection Of Saddam Hussein's Dinars Can Explain The Most Interesting Aspect Of Bitcoin 2805820865  The Rejection Of Saddam Hussein's Dinars Can Explain The Most Interesting Aspect Of Bitcoin 2805820865  The Rejection Of Saddam Hussein's Dinars Can Explain The Most Interesting Aspect Of Bitcoin 2805820865  The Rejection Of Saddam Hussein's Dinars Can Explain The Most Interesting Aspect Of Bitcoin 2805820865
Kevind53
Kevind53
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum