Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» The Rockefellers and the controllers are freaking out right about now
Colorado Marijuana Dispensary Uses Bitcoin to Evade Federal Laws I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2024 11:16 am by kenlej

» Phony Tony sez: Full Steam Ahead!
Colorado Marijuana Dispensary Uses Bitcoin to Evade Federal Laws I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:51 am by Mission1st

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
Colorado Marijuana Dispensary Uses Bitcoin to Evade Federal Laws I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:45 am by Mission1st

» Russia aren't taking any prisoners
Colorado Marijuana Dispensary Uses Bitcoin to Evade Federal Laws I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2024 6:48 pm by kenlej

» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
Colorado Marijuana Dispensary Uses Bitcoin to Evade Federal Laws I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» ZIGPLACE
Colorado Marijuana Dispensary Uses Bitcoin to Evade Federal Laws I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
Colorado Marijuana Dispensary Uses Bitcoin to Evade Federal Laws I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
Colorado Marijuana Dispensary Uses Bitcoin to Evade Federal Laws I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
Colorado Marijuana Dispensary Uses Bitcoin to Evade Federal Laws I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
Colorado Marijuana Dispensary Uses Bitcoin to Evade Federal Laws I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
Colorado Marijuana Dispensary Uses Bitcoin to Evade Federal Laws I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
Colorado Marijuana Dispensary Uses Bitcoin to Evade Federal Laws I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
Colorado Marijuana Dispensary Uses Bitcoin to Evade Federal Laws I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
Colorado Marijuana Dispensary Uses Bitcoin to Evade Federal Laws I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
Colorado Marijuana Dispensary Uses Bitcoin to Evade Federal Laws I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
Colorado Marijuana Dispensary Uses Bitcoin to Evade Federal Laws I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

» The second American Revolution has begun, God Bless Texas
Colorado Marijuana Dispensary Uses Bitcoin to Evade Federal Laws I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 6:13 pm by kenlej

» The Global Currency Reset Evolution Event Will Begin With Gold, Zimbabwe ZWR Old Bank Notes
Colorado Marijuana Dispensary Uses Bitcoin to Evade Federal Laws I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 28, 2024 3:28 pm by Mission1st

» Tucker talking Canada
Colorado Marijuana Dispensary Uses Bitcoin to Evade Federal Laws I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2024 6:50 pm by kenlej

» Almost to the end The goodguys are winning
Colorado Marijuana Dispensary Uses Bitcoin to Evade Federal Laws I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 9:03 pm by kenlej

Colorado Marijuana Dispensary Uses Bitcoin to Evade Federal Laws

4 posters

Go down

Colorado Marijuana Dispensary Uses Bitcoin to Evade Federal Laws Empty Colorado Marijuana Dispensary Uses Bitcoin to Evade Federal Laws

Post by Ponee Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:50 am

Colorado Marijuana Dispensary Uses Bitcoin to Evade Federal Laws

Nermin Hajdarbegovic | Published on January 12, 2014 at 08:35 GMT | Companies, Lifestyle,

Colorado Marijuana Dispensary Uses Bitcoin to Evade Federal Laws Shutterstock_103292741-300x185

At least one marijuana dispensary in Colorado has reportedly begun accepting bitcoin.
Colorado’s decision to legalize cannabis has been filling headlines for weeks, and the hype is still going strong.

Investors have been piling up in the marijuana market, ranging from reputable medicinal marijuana companies to highly speculative penny stocks.
The general public seems to be very interested indeed – outside some dispensaries the queues of pot lovers are incredibly large, resembling the lines frequently formed in front of Apple Stores following an iPhone launch.

However, there are a number of problems. Demand has been so strong that many dispensaries are having trouble getting enough marijuana to sell, although this is likely a temporary issue.

Banks playing it safe
A somewhat bigger problem for dispensaries lurks in federal law. They cannot accept credit card payments, so all purchases must be in cash – or bitcoin.

Bloomberg’s Matt Miller believes that this is because banks are simply not willing to enter the market, which is understandable.

Most US credit card companies are headquartered in Delaware rather than Colorado – and cannabis is still very much illegal in Joe Biden’s home state.
Banks and credit card companies are playing it safe. They must comply with federal legislation and although it might be possible to come up with a workaround, they do not appear interested at this point.

Federal law has forced dispensaries to accept cash, and cash only – but bitcoin is a tempting alternative. Anonymity does not matter, since recreational marijuana is legal in Colorado, but with no credit cards in the mix, it is practically the only alternative.

Sales of recreational marijuana in Colorado are reportedly exceeding $5m a week, and banks simply cannot enter the fray until regulators give them the green light.

Drugs, cash and prohibition

ChameleonsEye / Shutterstock.com[img(306.02px,203.01999999999998px)]http://media.coindesk.com/2014/01/shutterstock_120983617.jpg[/img]
Some pundits are comparing Colorado’s decision to legalize marijuana to the demise of the 18th Amendment, which prohibited sales of alcohol in the US back in the roaring twenties.

When the 18th Amendment was enacted, the government lost a fair slice of tax revenue, but the prohibition also loosely coincided with the introduction of federal income tax in 1913. In other words, the government could afford to lose a bit of revenue in order to appease the temperance movement.
The prohibition did not work, as it forced millions of Americans to break the law on a daily basis, becoming scofflaws. It also ushered in a golden era for organized criminals running rum from the Caribbean, whisky from Canada or distilling potentially deadly bathtub ‘moonshine’.

The 18th Amendment was repealed at a time when the US needed as much tax revenue as possible, just as the country was starting to emerge from the Great Depression.

Bitcoin’s critics like to point out that digital currencies are often used for illicit transactions, like buying illegal drugs. This is, of course, the case with practically every currency on the planet.

Drugs are the reason why the largest denomination of the US dollar is the Ben Franklin-themed $100 bill.The Nixon administration discontinued all larger denominations in 1969, arguing that the move would make it more difficult for drug traffickers to transport and launder their profits.

Bitcoin boom

There are about 350 licensed dispensaries in Colorado, and many analysts believe annual marijuana revenue could be as much as $500m, which is relatively high for a population of 5.2 million people (no pun intended).

The National Cannabis Industry Association predicts medical marijuana sales of $250m, along with more than $200m in recreational sales. Nationwide, the government-regulated marijuana market is expected to double to $2.3bn.

With as much as half a billion dollars up for grabs, banks will no doubt try to enter the market, but this may not be as easy as it seems. For example, if they get an exemption, the next administration might simply revoke it.

However, Colorado may have a vested interest in getting banks on board. In other words, bitcoin has a chance, but banks will inevitably crack the market sooner or later.

The state wants to raise $70m in tax revenue from cannabis sales this year. However, the figure may end up even higher due to high demand (pun intended).

http://www.coindesk.com/colorado-marijuana-dispensary-bitcoin-evade-federal-laws/

Ponee
Ponee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Colorado Marijuana Dispensary Uses Bitcoin to Evade Federal Laws Empty Re: Colorado Marijuana Dispensary Uses Bitcoin to Evade Federal Laws

Post by livingintheloop69 Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:32 pm

there not really evading laws, they are doing what htey need to do to accept payments since banks will not process payments for them. its not unique to the weed industry, there are a lot of legal completely legit business that credit card companies are wary of or dont conduct busines for. people who run atm and vending businesses often have trouble as do many service industries and people who sell non tangible goods like ebooks. programss, etc

livingintheloop69
Forum Friend
Forum Friend

Back to top Go down

Colorado Marijuana Dispensary Uses Bitcoin to Evade Federal Laws Empty Re: Colorado Marijuana Dispensary Uses Bitcoin to Evade Federal Laws

Post by Ponee Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:29 pm

It is interesting though isn't it? I am enjoying watching how bitcoins are moving.  The whole thing is so very interesting to me.

Ponee
Ponee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by judywhite Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:30 am

There has been a huge debate that this p2p system is one big avenue in illegal environment transactions—just takes a look at Silk Road. It's just surprising to me that Colorado decided to legalize cannabis dispensaries.

Last edited by judywhite on Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
judywhite
judywhite

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevind53 Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:44 pm

Well we are talking about Colorado ....  Twisted Evil

Trust but Verify --- R Reagan Suspect

"Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you."1 Thessalonians 5:14–18

Colorado Marijuana Dispensary Uses Bitcoin to Evade Federal Laws 2805820865  Colorado Marijuana Dispensary Uses Bitcoin to Evade Federal Laws 2805820865  Colorado Marijuana Dispensary Uses Bitcoin to Evade Federal Laws 2805820865  Colorado Marijuana Dispensary Uses Bitcoin to Evade Federal Laws 2805820865
Kevind53
Kevind53
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum