Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» The Rockefellers and the controllers are freaking out right about now
11 Untranslatable Words From Other Cultures  I_icon_minitimeToday at 11:16 am by kenlej

» Phony Tony sez: Full Steam Ahead!
11 Untranslatable Words From Other Cultures  I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:51 am by Mission1st

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
11 Untranslatable Words From Other Cultures  I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:45 am by Mission1st

» Russia aren't taking any prisoners
11 Untranslatable Words From Other Cultures  I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2024 6:48 pm by kenlej

» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
11 Untranslatable Words From Other Cultures  I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» ZIGPLACE
11 Untranslatable Words From Other Cultures  I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
11 Untranslatable Words From Other Cultures  I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
11 Untranslatable Words From Other Cultures  I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
11 Untranslatable Words From Other Cultures  I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
11 Untranslatable Words From Other Cultures  I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
11 Untranslatable Words From Other Cultures  I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
11 Untranslatable Words From Other Cultures  I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
11 Untranslatable Words From Other Cultures  I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
11 Untranslatable Words From Other Cultures  I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
11 Untranslatable Words From Other Cultures  I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
11 Untranslatable Words From Other Cultures  I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

» The second American Revolution has begun, God Bless Texas
11 Untranslatable Words From Other Cultures  I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 6:13 pm by kenlej

» The Global Currency Reset Evolution Event Will Begin With Gold, Zimbabwe ZWR Old Bank Notes
11 Untranslatable Words From Other Cultures  I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 28, 2024 3:28 pm by Mission1st

» Tucker talking Canada
11 Untranslatable Words From Other Cultures  I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2024 6:50 pm by kenlej

» Almost to the end The goodguys are winning
11 Untranslatable Words From Other Cultures  I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 9:03 pm by kenlej

11 Untranslatable Words From Other Cultures

Go down

11 Untranslatable Words From Other Cultures  Empty 11 Untranslatable Words From Other Cultures

Post by Kevind53 Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:38 pm

The relationship between words and their meaning is a fascinating one, and linguists have spent countless years deconstructing it, taking it apart letter by letter, and trying to figure out why there are so many feelings and ideas that we cannot even put words to, and that our languages cannot identify.

The idea that words cannot always say everything has been written about extensively -- as Friedrich Nietzsche said, "Words are but symbols for the relations of things to one another and to us; nowhere do they touch upon the absolute truth."

No doubt the best book we've read that covers the subject is Through The Language Glass by Guy Deutscher.  The book goes a long way to explaining and understanding these loopholes -- the gaps which mean there are leftover words without translations, and concepts that cannot be properly explained across cultures.

Somehow narrowing it down to just a handful, we've illustrated 11 of these wonderful, untranslatable, if slightly elusive, words. We will definitely be trying to incorporate a few of them into our everyday conversations, and hope that you enjoy recognizing a feeling or two of your own among them.

1 | German: Waldeinsamkeit

A feeling of solitude; of being alone in the woods and having a connectedness to nature.
Ralph Waldo Emerson even wrote a whole poem about it.

2 | Italian: Culaccino
The mark left on a table by a cold glass. Who knew condensation could sound so poetic?

3 | Inuit: Iktsuarpok
The feeling of anticipation that leads you to go outside and check to see if anyone is coming; it probably also indicates an element of impatience.
4 | Japanese: Komorebi
This is the word the Japanese have for when sunlight filters through the trees -- the interplay between the light and the leaves.

5 | Russian: Pochemuchka
Someone who asks a lot of questions.  In fact, probably too many questions. We all know a few of these.

6 | Spanish: Sobremesa
Spaniards tend to be a sociable bunch, and this word describes the period of time after a meal when you have food-induced conversations with the people you have shared the meal with.

7 | Indonesian: Jayus
Their slang for someone who tells a joke so badly and it’s so unfunny that you cannot help but to laugh out loud.

8 | Hawaiian: Pana Poʻo
You know when you forget where you've put the keys, and you scratch your head because it somehow seems to help your remember?  This is the word for it.

9 | French: Dépaysement
The feeling that comes from not being in one's home country - of being a foreigner or an immigrant; of being somewhat displaced from your origin.

10 | Urdu: Goya
Urdu is the national language of Pakistan, but is also an official language in 5 of the Indian states. This particular Urdu word conveys a contemplative 'as-if' that nonetheless feels like reality, and describes the suspension of disbelief that can occur, often through good storytelling.

11 | Swedish: Mångata
The word for the glimmering, road-like reflection that the moon creates on water.

Trust but Verify --- R Reagan Suspect

"Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you."1 Thessalonians 5:14–18

11 Untranslatable Words From Other Cultures  2805820865  11 Untranslatable Words From Other Cultures  2805820865  11 Untranslatable Words From Other Cultures  2805820865  11 Untranslatable Words From Other Cultures  2805820865
Kevind53
Kevind53
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum