Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» The Rockefellers and the controllers are freaking out right about now
Japan intervenes to tame soaring yen ahead of G20 I_icon_minitimeToday at 11:16 am by kenlej

» Phony Tony sez: Full Steam Ahead!
Japan intervenes to tame soaring yen ahead of G20 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:51 am by Mission1st

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
Japan intervenes to tame soaring yen ahead of G20 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:45 am by Mission1st

» Russia aren't taking any prisoners
Japan intervenes to tame soaring yen ahead of G20 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2024 6:48 pm by kenlej

» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
Japan intervenes to tame soaring yen ahead of G20 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» ZIGPLACE
Japan intervenes to tame soaring yen ahead of G20 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
Japan intervenes to tame soaring yen ahead of G20 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
Japan intervenes to tame soaring yen ahead of G20 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
Japan intervenes to tame soaring yen ahead of G20 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
Japan intervenes to tame soaring yen ahead of G20 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
Japan intervenes to tame soaring yen ahead of G20 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
Japan intervenes to tame soaring yen ahead of G20 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
Japan intervenes to tame soaring yen ahead of G20 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
Japan intervenes to tame soaring yen ahead of G20 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
Japan intervenes to tame soaring yen ahead of G20 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
Japan intervenes to tame soaring yen ahead of G20 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

» The second American Revolution has begun, God Bless Texas
Japan intervenes to tame soaring yen ahead of G20 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 6:13 pm by kenlej

» The Global Currency Reset Evolution Event Will Begin With Gold, Zimbabwe ZWR Old Bank Notes
Japan intervenes to tame soaring yen ahead of G20 I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 28, 2024 3:28 pm by Mission1st

» Tucker talking Canada
Japan intervenes to tame soaring yen ahead of G20 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2024 6:50 pm by kenlej

» Almost to the end The goodguys are winning
Japan intervenes to tame soaring yen ahead of G20 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 9:03 pm by kenlej

Japan intervenes to tame soaring yen ahead of G20

Go down

Japan intervenes to tame soaring yen ahead of G20 Empty Japan intervenes to tame soaring yen ahead of G20

Post by lexie Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:30 am

Oct.31,2011

Japan intervenes to tame soaring yen ahead of G20

TOKYO (Reuters) - Japan sold the yen for the second time in less than three months after it hit another record high against the dollar Monday, saying it intervened to counter excessive speculation that was hurting the world's No. 3 economy.

The intervention vaulted the dollar more than 4 percent higher, which would mark its biggest one-day gain in three years, and Finance Minister Jun Azumi said Tokyo would continue to step into the market until it was satisfied with the results.

Indeed, his deputy later said the intervention was not over yet, when asked to assess its effects as the dollar began slipping from the day's high.

"I don't think intervention has ceased yet," Fumihiko Igarashi told reporters.

Many market players voiced doubts the impact would last given that previous intervention since September 2010 had failed to prevent the yen from resuming its rally and setting a series of all-time highs against the dollar.

Tokyo's latest foray followed repeated warnings that its patience with the yen's strength was wearing thin, and came just days before the Group of 20 leaders' summit in Cannes, France.

The summit will focus on Europe's efforts to contain its sovereign debt crisis and avoid a repeat of the financial shock that roiled markets after the Lehman Brothers collapse in 2008.

But Tokyo is keen to win G20 understanding that a strong yen is one challenge too many for an economy grappling with a nuclear crisis, a $250 billion rebuilding effort from a March earthquake and tsunami and ballooning public debt.

Japan also says investors buy the yen as a safe haven from the euro zone debt crisis and stuttering U.S. growth. It argues such demand has nothing to do with the fragile health of the Japanese economy.

"We started currency intervention this morning in order to take every measure against speculative and disorderly moves and to prevent risks to the Japanese economy from materializing," Prime Minister Yoshihiko Noda told parliament.

The intervention came after the dollar touched a record low of 75.31 yen and pushed the world's main reserve currency up past 79 yen. The dollar, however, slipped below 78 in European trade.

Japan's economy has been recovering from its post-quake recession with companies swiftly restoring production and supply chains and Tokyo has counted on reconstruction spending and robust emerging markets demand to sustain the momentum.

But the yen's climb has spurred policymakers to act.

MORE TO COME?

Noda, who took over as Japan's sixth premier in five years last month, served as finance minister in the previous cabinet and led three past interventions between September 2010 and August, including joint action with G7 partners in March 2011. The September 2010 intervention was Japan's first in six years.

Azumi said that while Japan acted solo Monday, he remained in close contact with his international counterparts.

Several G20 nations, including Japan's exports rival South Korea, have intervened frequently in markets. But Japan is under more scrutiny as an issuer of one of three global currencies and does not want to be labeled as a currency manipulator.

Azumi has indicated after his past meetings with Group of Seven and G20 partners that they appreciated Japan's special circumstances.

Still, many voiced doubts about how long the impact of the intervention would last, including Honda Motor Chief Financial Officer Fumihiko Ike.

"Frankly, my reaction was: 'finally, they intervened.' But I'm also aware that a solo intervention has a limited impact," he said. "Will we be able to keep these levels" I'm not at all hopeful."[ID:nT9E7LD01M]

Stock market investors showed a similar reaction, Koichi Ogawa, chief portfolio manager at Daiwa SB Investments, said.

The intervention initially boosted shares in exporters, helping push the Nikkei average to a three-month intraday high. However, the market closed down 0.7 percent. [ID:nL4E7LV1C3]

"The Nikkei was still unable to hold any gains, showing that investors are not confident that the yen will remain down," Ogawa said.

Takuji Okubo, chief economist at Societe Generale in Tokyo, was equally skeptical. "I do think this is one of many interventions to come," Okubo told Reuters Insider.

Some, however, said Monday's action that followed Bank Of Japan's monetary easing last week, could keep the yen away from its peaks for quite some time.

"It was very good timing. The BOJ has prepared the ground by easing last week. Speculators' yen-buying position has piled up, and intervention is most effective in such cases," said Yunosuke Ikeda, senior FX strategist at Nomura Securities.

BOJ Governor Masaaki Shirakawa was also hopeful the intervention -- conducted by the central bank on behalf of the finance ministry -- would have an impact.

"The BOJ strongly hopes that such moves will lead to currency market stability," he said in a speech.

Azumi would not comment on the size of the intervention, but one trader said the authorities were intervening "quite persistently."

The amount of intervention could match the 4.5 trillion yen ($59 billion) Tokyo sold on August 4 in its biggest single-day intervention so far, said Mitul Kotecha, head of global currency strategy at Credit Agricole.

Even though the yen's exchange rate measured against a trade-weighted currency basket and adjusted for inflation is not far from its 30-year average, its dollar rate is much stronger than that used by exporters in their earnings projections.

That has led to a flurry of warnings from car makers and electronic firms that they might be forced to move more production abroad to cope.

Chipmaker Elpida warned it might have to move production overseas and Honda's chief executive said earlier this month that the company would half exports from Japan over the next decade because of the strong yen.

Last Thursday, acting in part out of concern that such "hollowing out" of the industry could stunt Japan's recovery, the BOJ eased its monetary policy by boosting government bond purchases.

($1=75.76 yen)

http://www.newsmeat.com/news/meat.php?articleId=121765843&channelId=2951&buyerId=newsmeatcom&buid=3281

"WHEN THE POWER OF LOVE OVERCOMES THE LOVE OF POWER, THE WORLD WILL KNOW PEACE"
lexie
lexie
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Japan intervenes to tame soaring yen ahead of G20 Empty Re: Japan intervenes to tame soaring yen ahead of G20

Post by lexie Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:38 am

Oct 31, 2011 04:58 EDT

Global shares, commodities fall as dollar spikes vs yen

LONDON (Reuters) - World equities fell on Monday with commodities retreating as the dollar rose to a three-month high against the yen after Japan intervened to weaken its currency, spurring some profit-taking after last week's rally.

U.S. crude futures also fell, by 0.7 percent, as a stronger dollar made commodities priced in the greenback more expensive for investors holding other currencies, thereby cooling demand.

The dollar rose 4 percent against the yen to 78.35, bouncing off a record low of 75.31 yen. The dollar <.DXY> was last 76.040 against a basket of six major currencies, up 1.3 percent.

The dollar came under pressure as investors cautiously returned to riskier assets such as equities after Europe's leaders laid out a basic framework to tackle the sovereign debt crisis last week.

Japanese Finance Minister Jun Azumi said Japan intervened unilaterally in the foreign exchange market on Monday to counter speculative moves that did not reflect the health of the Japanese economy.

"If the Bank of Japan wants to avoid the dollar slipping back quickly toward 76 yen very soon they will need to come in again to really make the point," said Niels Christensen, currency strategist at Nordea in Copenhagen.

Noting that the last intervention in early August also had a significant effect on dollar/yen, which then very quickly dropped back down again, he said the authorities might want to avoid that happening this time.

The euro slipped almost 1 percent versus the dollar to $1.4014.

The single currency reached a seven-week high around $1.4247 last Thursday following news of the debt rescue plan, and looked set to end the month up nearly 5 percent for its best monthly performance in just over a year.

But speculation about a possible interest rate cut on Thursday by the European Central Bank could limit its upside for now.

Equities gave back some of last week's gains as the decline in metal prices on the back of the dollar's rise hit mining stocks.

The MSCI world equity index was up 1 percent after posting its best week in nearly three years as the European plan to resolve the debt crisis spurred a relief rally.

European stocks <.FTEU3> were down almost 1 percent, after rising 4.1 percent last week, while emerging stocks were 0.65 percent lower.

"The main overnight news was the Bank of Japan intervening on the foreign exchanges. The correlation (between the euro and European equities) ensures a weak start for equities," Jeremy Batstone-Carr, strategist at Charles Stanley, said.

He also pointed to doubts about the euro zone plan. "Last week we saw a huge rise in equity markets largely on the revelation of a structure of a plan, with no detail on the funding."

Japan told the head of Europe's bailout fund on Monday that it would continue to buy its bonds, but, like fellow potential investor China, did not commit to putting cash into a mooted special purpose vehicle to enhance the rescue fund's firepower.

U.S. and German government bonds advanced as equities declined, with initial euphoria over Europe's plan to contain the two-year crisis also waning as doubts about its efficacy set in.

German Bund futures rose 69 ticks to 134.35 while U.S. T-note futures were up 10/32 at 128/12.5/32.

The past week's meeting of euro zone leaders left unclear how the fund -- the European Financial Stability Facility -- was to increase its firepower, a key part of the agreement.

Investors are wary that a summit this week of leaders from the world's 20 leading economies may disappoint with a lack of further details on plans for the rescue fund.

The meeting will also be watched for coordinated efforts or pledges to help stabilize world financial markets, which have been battered this year by the euro zone debt crisis and a slowing world economy.

http://www.newsmeat.com/news/meat.php?articleId=121758872&channelId=2951&buyerId=newsmeatcom&buid=3281

"WHEN THE POWER OF LOVE OVERCOMES THE LOVE OF POWER, THE WORLD WILL KNOW PEACE"
lexie
lexie
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum