Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» The Rockefellers and the controllers are freaking out right about now
New US Threats to Iraq Widen Rifts, Leave PM Exposed I_icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:16 am by kenlej

» Phony Tony sez: Full Steam Ahead!
New US Threats to Iraq Widen Rifts, Leave PM Exposed I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:51 am by Mission1st

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
New US Threats to Iraq Widen Rifts, Leave PM Exposed I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:45 am by Mission1st

» Russia aren't taking any prisoners
New US Threats to Iraq Widen Rifts, Leave PM Exposed I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2024 6:48 pm by kenlej

» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
New US Threats to Iraq Widen Rifts, Leave PM Exposed I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» ZIGPLACE
New US Threats to Iraq Widen Rifts, Leave PM Exposed I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
New US Threats to Iraq Widen Rifts, Leave PM Exposed I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
New US Threats to Iraq Widen Rifts, Leave PM Exposed I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
New US Threats to Iraq Widen Rifts, Leave PM Exposed I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
New US Threats to Iraq Widen Rifts, Leave PM Exposed I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
New US Threats to Iraq Widen Rifts, Leave PM Exposed I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
New US Threats to Iraq Widen Rifts, Leave PM Exposed I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
New US Threats to Iraq Widen Rifts, Leave PM Exposed I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
New US Threats to Iraq Widen Rifts, Leave PM Exposed I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
New US Threats to Iraq Widen Rifts, Leave PM Exposed I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
New US Threats to Iraq Widen Rifts, Leave PM Exposed I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

» The second American Revolution has begun, God Bless Texas
New US Threats to Iraq Widen Rifts, Leave PM Exposed I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 6:13 pm by kenlej

» The Global Currency Reset Evolution Event Will Begin With Gold, Zimbabwe ZWR Old Bank Notes
New US Threats to Iraq Widen Rifts, Leave PM Exposed I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 28, 2024 3:28 pm by Mission1st

» Tucker talking Canada
New US Threats to Iraq Widen Rifts, Leave PM Exposed I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2024 6:50 pm by kenlej

» Almost to the end The goodguys are winning
New US Threats to Iraq Widen Rifts, Leave PM Exposed I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 9:03 pm by kenlej

New US Threats to Iraq Widen Rifts, Leave PM Exposed

Go down

New US Threats to Iraq Widen Rifts, Leave PM Exposed Empty New US Threats to Iraq Widen Rifts, Leave PM Exposed

Post by GirlBye Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:56 pm

New US Threats to Iraq Widen Rifts, Leave PM Exposed Newscred_trump_and_iraqi_pm_1800x1200.jpeg
President Donald Trump meets with Iraqi Prime Minister Mustafa al-Kadhimi in the Oval Office of the White House, Aug. 20, 2020, in Washington. (AP Photo/Patrick Semansky)

27 Sep 2020

Enraged by near-daily attacks on its interests in Iraq, Washington has threatened to close its embassy in Baghdad, in a blow to a premier seen as a bulwark against Iran.
Iraq has long been caught in a tug-of-war between its allies Iran and the United States, rendered rockier by Washington's "maximum pressure" policy against Tehran since 2018.

In a new escalation, U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo called Iraqi President Barham Saleh last week to deliver an ultimatum, Iraqi and foreign officials told AFP.

Unless Iraq's government puts an end to the rockets raining down on U.S. military and diplomatic sites, Washington would shutter its embassy and recall its troops, the sources said.
"The Americans aren't just angry. They're really, really, really angry," one Iraqi official told AFP.
Another said: "The honeymoon is over."
The U.S. still has hundreds of diplomats in its mission at the high-security Green Zone in Baghdad and around 3,000 troops based in three bases across the country.
Since 2019, dozens of rockets and improvised explosives have targeted these sites, with U.S. and Iraqi officials blaming Tehran-backed factions including Kataeb Hezbollah.
Washington has twice retaliated with strikes on Kataeb Hezbollah in Iraq and threatened earlier this year to bomb more than 120 further sites if the rocket attacks cost American lives, a top Iraqi official told AFP.
The frustration failed to ease even after Mustafa al-Kadhemi, seen as Western-leaning, took office as premier in May.
Ahead of Kadhemi's visit to Washington in August, the U.S. signaled it was "unsatisfied with his actions" against pro-Iran armed groups, an Iraqi official said.
The U.S. declined to comment on Pompeo's latest call, but a State Department official told AFP that "Iran-backed groups launching rockets at our embassy are a danger not only to us, but to the Government of Iraq."
Growing Rift 
Fresh in the minds of Iraqi officials and armed groups is the U.S. drone strike in January that killed top Iranian general Qasem Soleimani and Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis, the deputy head of Iraq's state-sponsored Hashed al-Shaabi.
Since then, many pro-Iran paramilitary leaders have gone into hiding lest they be subject to American strikes or sanctions.
The new U.S. threats seem to have deepened the growing rift between factions loyal to Iran and those less willing to enter into a full confrontation with the United States.
After months of silence, influential cleric and political leader Moqtada Sadr took to Twitter this week to call for "the creation of a security, military and parliamentary committee to investigate" the rocket attacks.
Within minutes, Kadhemi and other top government figures endorsed the recommendation.
"There's a consensus on condemning these attacks. Kataeb Hezbollah and other hardliners are isolated and left without political cover," an Iraqi official said.
Even the Hashed al-Shaabi slammed rocket attacks as "illegal military acts," denied involvement and formally sidelined a pair of commanders seen as too Tehran-leaning.
But the hardliners, too, are organizing.
A half-dozen previously unheard-of groups have claimed responsibility for rocket attacks on the U.S. and even threatened the United Nations in recent months.
Iraqi intelligence officials and political sources say Iran has been gathering the most hardline among its Iraqi allies into these new formations.

PM in Hot Water? 
These reconstituted groups see Kadhemi as Washington's man in Baghdad and are irked by his vows to rein them in.
"They're sending a message from Iran to the U.S.: the recent political developments have changed nothing. We can still hit you hard, and no leader can implement your agenda in Iraq," said a source from Iraq's Shiite political network.
That has left the prime minister in a precarious position.

A U.S. withdrawal could hand his rivals an unintended propaganda win, a Western diplomat in Baghdad told AFP.
"If Washington follows through and withdraws its people, these groups will be able to brag that they kicked the Americans out of Iraq at little cost," the official said.
Iraq's parliament voted after Soleimani's killing to oust foreign troops posted in the country to help fight jihadist remnants, but Kadhemi has tried to slow-walk the decision.
He has also embarked on an anti-corruption drive, launched a strategic dialogue with Washington and sought to fast-track deals with U.S. companies that would decrease Iraq's reliance on Iranian energy imports.

His downfall, Western diplomats and analysts said, could be a nightmare for Iraq's stability.
"If the U.S. really closes its embassy, it will leave Kadhemi in a very weak and dangerous position, opening the door for militias to expand and maybe take extreme action against the state," said Ali Mamouri, an analyst and editor of the Iraq Pulse at Al-Monitor news website.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2020/09/27/new-us-threats-iraq-widen-rifts-leave-pm-exposed.html
GirlBye
GirlBye
VIP NewsHound
VIP NewsHound

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum