Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» The Rockefellers and the controllers are freaking out right about now
U.S. tells Iraq it’s planning to pull out of Baghdad embassy I_icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:16 am by kenlej

» Phony Tony sez: Full Steam Ahead!
U.S. tells Iraq it’s planning to pull out of Baghdad embassy I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:51 am by Mission1st

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
U.S. tells Iraq it’s planning to pull out of Baghdad embassy I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:45 am by Mission1st

» Russia aren't taking any prisoners
U.S. tells Iraq it’s planning to pull out of Baghdad embassy I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2024 6:48 pm by kenlej

» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
U.S. tells Iraq it’s planning to pull out of Baghdad embassy I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» ZIGPLACE
U.S. tells Iraq it’s planning to pull out of Baghdad embassy I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
U.S. tells Iraq it’s planning to pull out of Baghdad embassy I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
U.S. tells Iraq it’s planning to pull out of Baghdad embassy I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
U.S. tells Iraq it’s planning to pull out of Baghdad embassy I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
U.S. tells Iraq it’s planning to pull out of Baghdad embassy I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
U.S. tells Iraq it’s planning to pull out of Baghdad embassy I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
U.S. tells Iraq it’s planning to pull out of Baghdad embassy I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
U.S. tells Iraq it’s planning to pull out of Baghdad embassy I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
U.S. tells Iraq it’s planning to pull out of Baghdad embassy I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
U.S. tells Iraq it’s planning to pull out of Baghdad embassy I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
U.S. tells Iraq it’s planning to pull out of Baghdad embassy I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

» The second American Revolution has begun, God Bless Texas
U.S. tells Iraq it’s planning to pull out of Baghdad embassy I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 6:13 pm by kenlej

» The Global Currency Reset Evolution Event Will Begin With Gold, Zimbabwe ZWR Old Bank Notes
U.S. tells Iraq it’s planning to pull out of Baghdad embassy I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 28, 2024 3:28 pm by Mission1st

» Tucker talking Canada
U.S. tells Iraq it’s planning to pull out of Baghdad embassy I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2024 6:50 pm by kenlej

» Almost to the end The goodguys are winning
U.S. tells Iraq it’s planning to pull out of Baghdad embassy I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 9:03 pm by kenlej

U.S. tells Iraq it’s planning to pull out of Baghdad embassy

Go down

U.S. tells Iraq it’s planning to pull out of Baghdad embassy Empty U.S. tells Iraq it’s planning to pull out of Baghdad embassy

Post by GirlBye Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:50 pm

U.S. tells Iraq it’s planning to pull out of Baghdad embassy TRXIGSQA3II6XOJOAKLHN6PL5Q
The U.S. Embassy is seen from across the Tigris river in Baghdad while under construction in 2007. (Anonymous/AP)
September 27, 2020 at 9:13 a.m. PDT

BEIRUT — The United States has told the Iraqi government and its diplomatic partners that it’s planning a full withdrawal from its sprawling embassy in Baghdad unless Iraq reins in attacks on personnel linked to the American presence there, U.S. and other Western officials said Sunday.

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo notified Iraqi Prime Minister Mustafa al-Kadhimi of the decision Saturday night, according to an official familiar with the matter.

A second person, a Western official in Baghdad, said his country’s diplomatic mission had been informed of the plan. Two European officials said they were due to meet with U.S. representatives Sunday evening.

It remains unclear if the White House has signed off on the decision to close the facility. The process of shutting it down is expected to take 90 days, a window that would give the Trump administration the opportunity to reassess the decision, said a diplomat familiar with the situation.

The State Department and National Security Council did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

President Trump’s decision to order the killing of senior Iranian commander Qasem Soleimani outside Baghdad airport in January sparked a firestorm in Iraq. Iraqi lawmakers urged the expulsion of U.S. troops. Iran-backed militia groups ramped up a campaign of rocket and small-scale bomb attacks on the U.S. Embassy and Iraqi military bases that host U.S.-led coalition troops.

U.S. tells Iraq it’s planning to pull out of Baghdad embassy 3URLVAQA3II6XCL5HJRADVTEH4

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo speaks during a news conference last week to announce the Trump administration's restoration of sanctions on Iran. (Patrick Semansky/AP)

Seventeen years after the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq, the Baghdad embassy remains one of America’s largest diplomatic outposts in the world. It was unclear Sunday whether the decision to pull out might still be reversed if Kadhimi’s government is able to better protect Western diplomatic and military personnel.

The U.S. military leads a collation that has been battling the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria from a Baghdad headquarters since 2014. Defense officials said the United States is planning to continue its counterinsurgency mission in Iraq for the time being.

Gen. Frank McKenzie Jr, who heads U.S. Central Command, said this month that the United States would reduce its force level from more than 5,000 to around 3,000 by the end of the month.

Pentagon officials say a continued mission is important to ensuring that the Islamic State does not make a major comeback.

The Iraq mission also provides a platform for ongoing operations in Syria. There are less than 1,000 U.S. troops in Syria, and many of them rely on U.S. military presence in Iraq for logistics and travel.

Kadhimi, who was elected in May, has been locked in a high-stakes battle to clamp down on Iran-backed militias implicated in attacks on Western forces. According to two U.S. officials, Pompeo warned Iraq’s government last week that the United States would close the embassy unless Kadhimi restrained them.

A senior official in Kadhimi’s office said Sunday that the prime minister is now lobbying European partners to try to convince the U.S. to reverse its decision, citing the “negative consequences” that it might have on the country’s stability.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/middle_east/us-embassy-withdrawal-baghdad-iraq/2020/09/27/9c222de8-00ca-11eb-8879-7663b816bfa5_story.html
GirlBye
GirlBye
VIP NewsHound
VIP NewsHound

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum