Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Carnival Rides
Baghdad torn between Tehran’s pressures and US sanctions I_icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2024 5:03 pm by kenlej

» Go Russia
Baghdad torn between Tehran’s pressures and US sanctions I_icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2024 11:37 am by kenlej

» Go Russia
Baghdad torn between Tehran’s pressures and US sanctions I_icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2024 10:51 am by kenlej

» Textbook Tony
Baghdad torn between Tehran’s pressures and US sanctions I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2024 4:13 pm by Mission1st

» The Rockefellers and the controllers are freaking out right about now
Baghdad torn between Tehran’s pressures and US sanctions I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2024 11:16 am by kenlej

» Phony Tony sez: Full Steam Ahead!
Baghdad torn between Tehran’s pressures and US sanctions I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:51 am by Mission1st

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
Baghdad torn between Tehran’s pressures and US sanctions I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:45 am by Mission1st

» Russia aren't taking any prisoners
Baghdad torn between Tehran’s pressures and US sanctions I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2024 6:48 pm by kenlej

» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
Baghdad torn between Tehran’s pressures and US sanctions I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» ZIGPLACE
Baghdad torn between Tehran’s pressures and US sanctions I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
Baghdad torn between Tehran’s pressures and US sanctions I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
Baghdad torn between Tehran’s pressures and US sanctions I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
Baghdad torn between Tehran’s pressures and US sanctions I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
Baghdad torn between Tehran’s pressures and US sanctions I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
Baghdad torn between Tehran’s pressures and US sanctions I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
Baghdad torn between Tehran’s pressures and US sanctions I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
Baghdad torn between Tehran’s pressures and US sanctions I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
Baghdad torn between Tehran’s pressures and US sanctions I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
Baghdad torn between Tehran’s pressures and US sanctions I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
Baghdad torn between Tehran’s pressures and US sanctions I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

Baghdad torn between Tehran’s pressures and US sanctions

Go down

Baghdad torn between Tehran’s pressures and US sanctions Empty Baghdad torn between Tehran’s pressures and US sanctions

Post by GirlBye Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:53 pm

The biggest challenge for Baghdad is Washington’s unilaterally reimposed economic sanctions against the Iran.
Baghdad torn between Tehran’s pressures and US sanctions A1158
Dangerous association. Iranian President Hassan Rohani (R) speaks during a joint news conference with his Iraqi counterpart Barham Salih at the Saadabad Palace in Tehran, on November 17. (Iranian Presidency)

Iraqi President Barham Salih’s visits to Tehran on November 17 and Riyadh a day later reflect the delicate balance Baghdad seeks to maintain in a region where two powerful neighbours battle for supremacy. The biggest challenge for Baghdad, however, is Washington’s unilaterally reimposed economic sanctions against Iran. Can Salih maintain the balance between Tehran on the one hand and Washington and its allies on the other?

If so, how?
Receiving Salih, Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei warned the Iraqi president against “certain ill-wishing governments and states, which do not want the people of Iraq to taste victory… and do not want Iraq and the region to experience calm.” The ayatollah further warned against “some governments, within and outside of the region, who bear extreme grudges against Islam… and interfere in internal affairs of Iraq.”

However, the principle of non-interference in the internal affairs of other countries did not prevent Khamenei from making the following statement about the situation in Iraq: “Formation of The Popular Mobilisation Forces in the struggle against terrorism is an example of relying on the youth, and it must be preserved.”

The Popular Mobilisation Forces are an umbrella organisation composed of various Shia militias, some of which report to the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps rather than to the Iraqi government. In Iraq’s recent parliamentary elections, several of those militias were organised into a coalition called the Fatah Alliance.

Doubling up as political parties, the militias did well and won a significant number of seats in parliament. Thus, this parallel politico-military structure provides Tehran with leverage over Iraq. It’s leverage Washington is keen to end as part of its general policy of containing Iran’s influence in the region.

At a news conference with Iranian President Hassan Rohani, Salih also had to negotiate the diplomatic minefield between Tehran and Washington. Calling for bilateral relations to be boosted, Salih disclosed he had ordered the Iraqi Foreign Ministry and the Ministry of Industry to expand the relationship with Iran.

Commenting on the establishment of an economic free trade zone along the Iran-Iraq border, Salih said: “Connecting the railroads of the two countries would be a great help [in] transporting Iranian pilgrims to Iraq, but it must further be considered as an important move for the economic infrastructure of the two countries.” In the same vein, Rohani said the two neighbours can raise annual bilateral trade to $20 billion from the current $12 billion.

Salih’s promised expansion of economic ties with Iran comes soon after Washington gave Iraq 45 days to stop purchasing natural gas from Iran. The Iraqi government dismissed the demand, citing the risk of an energy crisis. 

“Stopping Iranian gas after the deadline will create a real power crisis. We need more time… The Americans are aware of how desperately we need Iranian gas,” an unnamed Iraqi government official recently said. However, he stopped short of referring to the violent protests in the port of Basra in the summer, which took place partly because of a halt to electricity imports from Iran.

Any boosting of the Iran-Iraq economic relationship may also be seen as a prelude to large-scale circumvention of American sanctions. Iran will most likely rebrand Iranian products, including oil, as Iraqi in order to maintain its exports to the world market. This will doubtless increase transaction costs for Tehran, but it will help the regime secure foreign currency flows under the sanctions.

Despite Washington’s opposition, there is little Salih can do. This is partly because of the politico-military parallel structure of the Shia militias. And there is Iran’s constant threat to cut power exports to Iraq under the pretence of “meeting domestic demand.” 

This clearly shows Tehran’s willingness and ability to hold Baghdad hostage in its row with Washington. Time will tell if Washington is willing and able to devise a strategy for Iraq that weakens Tehran’s leverage over Baghdad.

https://thearabweekly.com/baghdad-torn-between-tehrans-pressures-and-us-sanctions
GirlBye
GirlBye
VIP NewsHound
VIP NewsHound

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum