Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» The Rockefellers and the controllers are freaking out right about now
Central Bank Caps Some Dong Deposit Rates at 6% I_icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:16 am by kenlej

» Phony Tony sez: Full Steam Ahead!
Central Bank Caps Some Dong Deposit Rates at 6% I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:51 am by Mission1st

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
Central Bank Caps Some Dong Deposit Rates at 6% I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:45 am by Mission1st

» Russia aren't taking any prisoners
Central Bank Caps Some Dong Deposit Rates at 6% I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2024 6:48 pm by kenlej

» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
Central Bank Caps Some Dong Deposit Rates at 6% I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» ZIGPLACE
Central Bank Caps Some Dong Deposit Rates at 6% I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
Central Bank Caps Some Dong Deposit Rates at 6% I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
Central Bank Caps Some Dong Deposit Rates at 6% I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
Central Bank Caps Some Dong Deposit Rates at 6% I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
Central Bank Caps Some Dong Deposit Rates at 6% I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
Central Bank Caps Some Dong Deposit Rates at 6% I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
Central Bank Caps Some Dong Deposit Rates at 6% I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
Central Bank Caps Some Dong Deposit Rates at 6% I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
Central Bank Caps Some Dong Deposit Rates at 6% I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
Central Bank Caps Some Dong Deposit Rates at 6% I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
Central Bank Caps Some Dong Deposit Rates at 6% I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

» The second American Revolution has begun, God Bless Texas
Central Bank Caps Some Dong Deposit Rates at 6% I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 6:13 pm by kenlej

» The Global Currency Reset Evolution Event Will Begin With Gold, Zimbabwe ZWR Old Bank Notes
Central Bank Caps Some Dong Deposit Rates at 6% I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 28, 2024 3:28 pm by Mission1st

» Tucker talking Canada
Central Bank Caps Some Dong Deposit Rates at 6% I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2024 6:50 pm by kenlej

» Almost to the end The goodguys are winning
Central Bank Caps Some Dong Deposit Rates at 6% I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 9:03 pm by kenlej

Central Bank Caps Some Dong Deposit Rates at 6%

Go down

Central Bank Caps Some Dong Deposit Rates at 6% Empty Central Bank Caps Some Dong Deposit Rates at 6%

Post by lexie Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:16 pm

September 29, 2011

Central Bank Caps Some Dong Deposit Rates at 6%

Vietnam’s central bank said it will cap interest rates on dong deposits that are non-term and those less than a month at 6 percent to address “liquidity risks,” amid concerns about the health of the nation’s banking system.

The State Bank of Vietnam will maintain the existing 14 percent rate cap on deposits of one month or longer, according to a statement on its website. The regulations will take effect from Oct. 1, it said.

Some banks have been offering interest rates as high as 14 percent for deposits as short as 24 hours, which creates “liquidity risks,” the central bank said in the statement. The central bank this month ordered lenders to comply with the 14 percent cap for deposits of one month or more.

“They’re closing a loophole that small banks were using to try to get around the cap on term deposits,” said Fiachra MacCana, managing director of Ho Chi Minh City Securities Corp. “The practical impact of this may be that more money will go out of the banking system into assets like gold, which could put a bit more pressure on the currency.”

Some banks previously offered clients incentives to entice deposit growth, taking the effective rate higher than 14 percent, Credit Suisse Group AG (CSGN) said last month. Vietnamese banks’ ability to mobilize deposits has been “disappointing” this year, limiting the lending capacity of the banking system, it said in a report.
Bank Quality

“Depositors today don’t care about the quality of the bank, they just care about the interest rate,” Ly Xuan Hai, chief executive of Asia Commercial Bank, Vietnam’s biggest non-state- owned bank, said in an interview this month. “Because of that, very small, very badly managed banks, when they increase the interest rate for depositors, depositors will come to them.”

Vietnam’s banking system is facing a slowdown in credit growth, a deterioration in asset quality, and funding pressures after some companies reduced deposits as earnings weakened, Moody’s Investors Service said this month.

The deposit cap of 14 percent creates negative real interest rates, Moody’s said, making it harder for banks to attract funds to support its lending growth. Vietnam’s inflation rate in September was 22.42 percent.

Some of Vietnam’s small banks are under-capitalized and undisciplined, and the central bank should let “attrition or consolidation take its course” with these lenders, Credit Suisse said last month. (Bloomberg)

http://www.vietfinancenews.com/2011/09/central-bank-caps-some-dong-deposit.html#more

"WHEN THE POWER OF LOVE OVERCOMES THE LOVE OF POWER, THE WORLD WILL KNOW PEACE"
lexie
lexie
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum