Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Phony Tony sez: Full Steam Ahead!
Peshmerga return to Kirkuk would be ‘unconstitutional’: Turkmen leader I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:51 am by Mission1st

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
Peshmerga return to Kirkuk would be ‘unconstitutional’: Turkmen leader I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:45 am by Mission1st

» Russia aren't taking any prisoners
Peshmerga return to Kirkuk would be ‘unconstitutional’: Turkmen leader I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2024 6:48 pm by kenlej

» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
Peshmerga return to Kirkuk would be ‘unconstitutional’: Turkmen leader I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» ZIGPLACE
Peshmerga return to Kirkuk would be ‘unconstitutional’: Turkmen leader I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
Peshmerga return to Kirkuk would be ‘unconstitutional’: Turkmen leader I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
Peshmerga return to Kirkuk would be ‘unconstitutional’: Turkmen leader I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
Peshmerga return to Kirkuk would be ‘unconstitutional’: Turkmen leader I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
Peshmerga return to Kirkuk would be ‘unconstitutional’: Turkmen leader I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
Peshmerga return to Kirkuk would be ‘unconstitutional’: Turkmen leader I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
Peshmerga return to Kirkuk would be ‘unconstitutional’: Turkmen leader I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
Peshmerga return to Kirkuk would be ‘unconstitutional’: Turkmen leader I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
Peshmerga return to Kirkuk would be ‘unconstitutional’: Turkmen leader I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
Peshmerga return to Kirkuk would be ‘unconstitutional’: Turkmen leader I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
Peshmerga return to Kirkuk would be ‘unconstitutional’: Turkmen leader I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

» The second American Revolution has begun, God Bless Texas
Peshmerga return to Kirkuk would be ‘unconstitutional’: Turkmen leader I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 6:13 pm by kenlej

» The Global Currency Reset Evolution Event Will Begin With Gold, Zimbabwe ZWR Old Bank Notes
Peshmerga return to Kirkuk would be ‘unconstitutional’: Turkmen leader I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 28, 2024 3:28 pm by Mission1st

» Tucker talking Canada
Peshmerga return to Kirkuk would be ‘unconstitutional’: Turkmen leader I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2024 6:50 pm by kenlej

» Almost to the end The goodguys are winning
Peshmerga return to Kirkuk would be ‘unconstitutional’: Turkmen leader I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 9:03 pm by kenlej

» Dinar Daily Facebook Page
Peshmerga return to Kirkuk would be ‘unconstitutional’: Turkmen leader I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 3:34 pm by Ponee

Peshmerga return to Kirkuk would be ‘unconstitutional’: Turkmen leader

Go down

Peshmerga return to Kirkuk would be ‘unconstitutional’: Turkmen leader Empty Peshmerga return to Kirkuk would be ‘unconstitutional’: Turkmen leader

Post by Ponee Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:13 pm

Peshmerga return to Kirkuk would be ‘unconstitutional’: Turkmen leader 397480Image1
Peshmerga defending Kirkuk from ISIS advance. File photo: Rudaw

ERBIL, Kurdistan Region – Peshmerga forces are only supposed to defend the Kurdistan Region and their return to Kirkuk would be “unconstitutional”, a Turkmen leader in the disputed province said Sunday. 

“The reason for our refusal to allow a Peshmerga return to the province of Kirkuk is because Article 121 stipulates that the Peshmerga are the guards of the Region,” Hassan Turan, deputy head of the Iraqi Turkmen Front in Kirkuk, told Rudaw.

Peshmerga “shouldn’t have a presence outside the borders of the Kurdistan Region,” he added.

The Turkmen leader proposed the formation of a local, multiethnic force made up of Kirkuk’s “sons”.

When ISIS forces swept across Iraq in 2014, threatening to swallow Kirkuk, Iraqi government forces withdrew. The city was successfully defended by the Peshmerga, which remained.

Kurdish forces defended the city until October 16, 2017, when the Iraqi army, backed by neighboring states and Shiite militias, took over the city and many other disputed areas claimed by both Baghdad and Erbil. The Peshmerga was forced to withdraw. 

Turan did however praise the Peshmerga’s role in defending Kirkuk and its residents without discrimination. 

The Turkmen leader called for dialogue between the major groups of the city to help normalize the security and political situation, which has deteriorated since October.

“We proposed dialogue multiple times, but unfortunately, the Kurdish leadership was the one rejecting dialogue prior to October 16,” Turan said.

Any agreement over the fate of Kirkuk without the involvement of Turkmen would be a “failure”, he said.

He called for “serious dialogue” between the components of Kirkuk for “sustainable solutions, joint administration, and consensus-based solutions” to guarantee everyone’s rights.

The Turkmen leader also criticized Article 140 of the Iraqi constitution, arguing it fails to offer a “peaceful sustainable resolution for the Kirkuk province,” he said.

Kirkuk is part of the disputed or Kurdistani areas claimed by both the Kurdistan Region and Iraq. Its fate is to be determined by Article 140 of the Iraqi constitution. It included a number of measures, including reversing the process of Arabization, to be followed by a referendum that will ask its population to choose between joining the Kurdistan Region or staying with Iraq.

The constitutional article was never implemented by the Iraqi government.

The Turkmen Front has consistently opposed a population census in Kirkuk, said Turan, alleging the Kurds had implemented a policy of “demographic change” since 2003.

Saddam Hussein evicted Kurds from Kirkuk and gave their lands to Arab settlers under the regime’s Arabization policy.

When the Baathist regime collapsed, the expelled Kurds began to return home and the imported Arabs were compensated to return to their original places in central and southern Iraq.

“We as the Turkmen see Kirkuk as a separate region as the solution and for it to be administered on the basis of 32 percent for all components in the Kirkuk province,” said Ali Mufti, another Turkmen leader.

The 32 percent formula was first introduced by the late Iraqi President Jalal Talabani, head of the province’s ruling Patriotic Union of Kurdistan (PUK). It did not call for an independent region, but rather a power sharing initiative to administer the local government.

Ponee
Ponee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum