Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Phony Tony sez: Full Steam Ahead!
Iraqi Forces Tighten Noose 'Quickly' on ISIS' Last Stronghold I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:51 am by Mission1st

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
Iraqi Forces Tighten Noose 'Quickly' on ISIS' Last Stronghold I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:45 am by Mission1st

» Russia aren't taking any prisoners
Iraqi Forces Tighten Noose 'Quickly' on ISIS' Last Stronghold I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2024 6:48 pm by kenlej

» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
Iraqi Forces Tighten Noose 'Quickly' on ISIS' Last Stronghold I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» ZIGPLACE
Iraqi Forces Tighten Noose 'Quickly' on ISIS' Last Stronghold I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
Iraqi Forces Tighten Noose 'Quickly' on ISIS' Last Stronghold I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
Iraqi Forces Tighten Noose 'Quickly' on ISIS' Last Stronghold I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
Iraqi Forces Tighten Noose 'Quickly' on ISIS' Last Stronghold I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
Iraqi Forces Tighten Noose 'Quickly' on ISIS' Last Stronghold I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
Iraqi Forces Tighten Noose 'Quickly' on ISIS' Last Stronghold I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
Iraqi Forces Tighten Noose 'Quickly' on ISIS' Last Stronghold I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
Iraqi Forces Tighten Noose 'Quickly' on ISIS' Last Stronghold I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
Iraqi Forces Tighten Noose 'Quickly' on ISIS' Last Stronghold I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
Iraqi Forces Tighten Noose 'Quickly' on ISIS' Last Stronghold I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
Iraqi Forces Tighten Noose 'Quickly' on ISIS' Last Stronghold I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

» The second American Revolution has begun, God Bless Texas
Iraqi Forces Tighten Noose 'Quickly' on ISIS' Last Stronghold I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 6:13 pm by kenlej

» The Global Currency Reset Evolution Event Will Begin With Gold, Zimbabwe ZWR Old Bank Notes
Iraqi Forces Tighten Noose 'Quickly' on ISIS' Last Stronghold I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 28, 2024 3:28 pm by Mission1st

» Tucker talking Canada
Iraqi Forces Tighten Noose 'Quickly' on ISIS' Last Stronghold I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2024 6:50 pm by kenlej

» Almost to the end The goodguys are winning
Iraqi Forces Tighten Noose 'Quickly' on ISIS' Last Stronghold I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 9:03 pm by kenlej

» Dinar Daily Facebook Page
Iraqi Forces Tighten Noose 'Quickly' on ISIS' Last Stronghold I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 3:34 pm by Ponee

Iraqi Forces Tighten Noose 'Quickly' on ISIS' Last Stronghold

Go down

Iraqi Forces Tighten Noose 'Quickly' on ISIS' Last Stronghold Empty Iraqi Forces Tighten Noose 'Quickly' on ISIS' Last Stronghold

Post by Ponee Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:12 am

NEAR MOSUL, Iraq -- CBS News correspondent Holly Williams is with Kurdish forces Thursday morning about 12 miles north of Iraq's second largest city Mosul, where the Kurds have launched a new attack on the ISIS militants holding the vast city and many villages surrounding it.

The Kurdish forces are trying to recapture 27 villages north of Mosul, which would put them within five miles of the city itself.

Williams watched as the Kurds hammered two villages in ISIS territory, close to their defensive line, with artillery on Thursday.

She also watched as two ISIS drones approached in the air. They were small, and it's not clear whether they were armed, but the Kurdish troops shot them down quickly. Earlier this month, two Kurdish fighters were killed by an ISIS drone loaded with explosives.

Meanwhile, elite Iraqi special forces troops moved into position Thursday to the east of Mosul. They're fighting to recapture several Christian towns and villages along the main road into the city. The special forces managed to enter the ancient Christian enclave of Bartella after a clashes with militants and several suicide truck bombs.

On Wednesday, an Iraqi officer bragged to CBS News that they would be inside Mosul within a matter of hours -- a much faster approach to the city where there are thought to be less than 5,000 ISIS militants still holding out.

Even Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi was optimistic Thursday, telling a diplomats gathered in Paris to discuss his country's crisis that the offensive was going "more quickly than we thought."

"Our forces have started to move forward to free this city which was taken by IS over two years ago. The fighting forces are currently pushing forward toward the town more quickly than we thought, and more quickly certainly than we established in our plan of campaign," Al-Abadi told the attendees via video link.

Williams says the reality, however, is that it's very slow going as the Iraqi troops and Kurdish forces clear these towns and villages, even though most of their residents fled a long time ago.

Imagine then, notes Williams, how much more difficult it will be to be retake Mosul itself -- a densely packed city where about 1 million residents are still thought to be living, used by ISIS as human shields.

[size=18]http://www.aina.org/news/20161.....145519.htm[/size]

Ponee
Ponee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum