Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Go Russia
Zimbabwe’s Hyperinflation: The Correct Number Is 89 Sextillion Percent I_icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:37 am by kenlej

» Go Russia
Zimbabwe’s Hyperinflation: The Correct Number Is 89 Sextillion Percent I_icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:51 am by kenlej

» Textbook Tony
Zimbabwe’s Hyperinflation: The Correct Number Is 89 Sextillion Percent I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2024 4:13 pm by Mission1st

» The Rockefellers and the controllers are freaking out right about now
Zimbabwe’s Hyperinflation: The Correct Number Is 89 Sextillion Percent I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2024 11:16 am by kenlej

» Phony Tony sez: Full Steam Ahead!
Zimbabwe’s Hyperinflation: The Correct Number Is 89 Sextillion Percent I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:51 am by Mission1st

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
Zimbabwe’s Hyperinflation: The Correct Number Is 89 Sextillion Percent I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:45 am by Mission1st

» Russia aren't taking any prisoners
Zimbabwe’s Hyperinflation: The Correct Number Is 89 Sextillion Percent I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2024 6:48 pm by kenlej

» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
Zimbabwe’s Hyperinflation: The Correct Number Is 89 Sextillion Percent I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» ZIGPLACE
Zimbabwe’s Hyperinflation: The Correct Number Is 89 Sextillion Percent I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
Zimbabwe’s Hyperinflation: The Correct Number Is 89 Sextillion Percent I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
Zimbabwe’s Hyperinflation: The Correct Number Is 89 Sextillion Percent I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
Zimbabwe’s Hyperinflation: The Correct Number Is 89 Sextillion Percent I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
Zimbabwe’s Hyperinflation: The Correct Number Is 89 Sextillion Percent I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
Zimbabwe’s Hyperinflation: The Correct Number Is 89 Sextillion Percent I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
Zimbabwe’s Hyperinflation: The Correct Number Is 89 Sextillion Percent I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
Zimbabwe’s Hyperinflation: The Correct Number Is 89 Sextillion Percent I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
Zimbabwe’s Hyperinflation: The Correct Number Is 89 Sextillion Percent I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
Zimbabwe’s Hyperinflation: The Correct Number Is 89 Sextillion Percent I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
Zimbabwe’s Hyperinflation: The Correct Number Is 89 Sextillion Percent I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

» The second American Revolution has begun, God Bless Texas
Zimbabwe’s Hyperinflation: The Correct Number Is 89 Sextillion Percent I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 6:13 pm by kenlej

Zimbabwe’s Hyperinflation: The Correct Number Is 89 Sextillion Percent

2 posters

Go down

Zimbabwe’s Hyperinflation: The Correct Number Is 89 Sextillion Percent Empty Zimbabwe’s Hyperinflation: The Correct Number Is 89 Sextillion Percent

Post by Kevind53 Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:28 pm

June 3, 2016 3:33PM
By Steve H. Hanke

Most press reports about Zimbabwe’s fantastic hyperinflation are off the mark – way off the mark. Even our most trusted news sources fail to get the facts right. This confirms the “95 Percent Rule”: 95 percent of what you read in the financial press is either wrong or irrelevant.

When it comes to the reportage about hyperinflation, there are no excuses. All 56 of the world’s hyperinflations have been carefully documented in “World Hyperinflations”. This record is available in the Routledge Handbook of Major Economic Events in Economic History (2013) and has been available online since 2012 at the Cato Institute.

The International Monetary Fund (IMF) is the main culprit, a prominent source of the faulty data. EvenThe Economist magazine has fallen into the trap of uncritically accepting figures pumped out by the IMF and further propagating them. It’s no wonder that there is a massive gap between the public’s perception and economic reality. A gap that, ironically, The Economist reports on this week.

The Economist’s most recent infraction on Zimbabwe’s hyperinflation appeared in the May 2016 issue. The magazine claimed that the hyperinflation peaked at an annual rate of 500 billion percent. Where did this figure originate? You guessed it. That figure is buried in the IMF’s 2009 Article IV Consultation Staff Report on Zimbabwe.

In reality, Zimbabwe’s annual inflation rate in September 2008 was 471 billion percent, not 500 billion percent. More importantly, Zimbabwe’s hyperinflation peaked in November, not September. It was then that Zimbabwe recorded the second-highest hyperinflation in history: a whopping 89.7 sextillion percent. This is 179 billion times greater than the IMF’s figure.

That said, the IMF did attempt to cover its backside from questions about its hyperinflation guestimate. 2009 Article IV Staff Report on Zimbabwe states clearly that “data have serious shortcomings that significantly hamper surveillance due to capacity constraints.” Despite the red flag, The Economist continues to blindly propagate a figure that is neither reliable nor replicable. I stress the word “continues”.

It turns out that The Economist is a serial propagator of inaccurate IMF figures. The magazine has cited IMF’s incorrect figure of 500 billion percent before, in June 2009 and October 2015.

For accurate estimates of Zimbabwe’s fantastic hyperinflation that are used in the professional literature – estimates that are reliable and replicable – the IMF and the financial press corps should take a look at the following table from “On the Measurement of Zimbabwe’s Hyperinflation”, which was published in The Cato Journal, (2009):

Zimbabwe’s Hyperinflation: The Correct Number Is 89 Sextillion Percent Table_10

Creative Commons License
This work by Cato Institute is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

Trust but Verify --- R Reagan Suspect

"Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you."1 Thessalonians 5:14–18

Zimbabwe’s Hyperinflation: The Correct Number Is 89 Sextillion Percent 2805820865  Zimbabwe’s Hyperinflation: The Correct Number Is 89 Sextillion Percent 2805820865  Zimbabwe’s Hyperinflation: The Correct Number Is 89 Sextillion Percent 2805820865  Zimbabwe’s Hyperinflation: The Correct Number Is 89 Sextillion Percent 2805820865
Kevind53
Kevind53
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Zimbabwe’s Hyperinflation: The Correct Number Is 89 Sextillion Percent Empty Re: Zimbabwe’s Hyperinflation: The Correct Number Is 89 Sextillion Percent

Post by Kevind53 Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:30 pm

So gurus, tell me again how Zimbabwe's currency is about to pay huge returns?

Trust but Verify --- R Reagan Suspect

"Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you."1 Thessalonians 5:14–18

Zimbabwe’s Hyperinflation: The Correct Number Is 89 Sextillion Percent 2805820865  Zimbabwe’s Hyperinflation: The Correct Number Is 89 Sextillion Percent 2805820865  Zimbabwe’s Hyperinflation: The Correct Number Is 89 Sextillion Percent 2805820865  Zimbabwe’s Hyperinflation: The Correct Number Is 89 Sextillion Percent 2805820865
Kevind53
Kevind53
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Zimbabwe’s Hyperinflation: The Correct Number Is 89 Sextillion Percent Empty Re: Zimbabwe’s Hyperinflation: The Correct Number Is 89 Sextillion Percent

Post by RamblerNash Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:18 am

:tup:

Zimbabwe’s Hyperinflation: The Correct Number Is 89 Sextillion Percent 258310255 
>>>TNTBS's YouTube Channel<<<
RamblerNash
RamblerNash
GURU HUNTER
GURU HUNTER

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum