Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Phony Tony sez: Full Steam Ahead!
Iraqi Shia protesters storm Baghdad parliament I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:51 am by Mission1st

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
Iraqi Shia protesters storm Baghdad parliament I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:45 am by Mission1st

» Russia aren't taking any prisoners
Iraqi Shia protesters storm Baghdad parliament I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2024 6:48 pm by kenlej

» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
Iraqi Shia protesters storm Baghdad parliament I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» ZIGPLACE
Iraqi Shia protesters storm Baghdad parliament I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
Iraqi Shia protesters storm Baghdad parliament I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
Iraqi Shia protesters storm Baghdad parliament I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
Iraqi Shia protesters storm Baghdad parliament I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
Iraqi Shia protesters storm Baghdad parliament I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
Iraqi Shia protesters storm Baghdad parliament I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
Iraqi Shia protesters storm Baghdad parliament I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
Iraqi Shia protesters storm Baghdad parliament I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
Iraqi Shia protesters storm Baghdad parliament I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
Iraqi Shia protesters storm Baghdad parliament I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
Iraqi Shia protesters storm Baghdad parliament I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

» The second American Revolution has begun, God Bless Texas
Iraqi Shia protesters storm Baghdad parliament I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 6:13 pm by kenlej

» The Global Currency Reset Evolution Event Will Begin With Gold, Zimbabwe ZWR Old Bank Notes
Iraqi Shia protesters storm Baghdad parliament I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 28, 2024 3:28 pm by Mission1st

» Tucker talking Canada
Iraqi Shia protesters storm Baghdad parliament I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2024 6:50 pm by kenlej

» Almost to the end The goodguys are winning
Iraqi Shia protesters storm Baghdad parliament I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 9:03 pm by kenlej

» Dinar Daily Facebook Page
Iraqi Shia protesters storm Baghdad parliament I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 3:34 pm by Ponee

Iraqi Shia protesters storm Baghdad parliament

Go down

Iraqi Shia protesters storm Baghdad parliament Empty Iraqi Shia protesters storm Baghdad parliament

Post by Ponee Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:25 pm

Hundreds of Shia Muslim activists have stormed Iraq's parliament in Baghdad, in protest against continuing deadlock in approving a new cabinet.

Iraqi Shia protesters storm Baghdad parliament _89527126_032710494-1
As dusk fell protesters were settling in outside parliament

Supporters of cleric Moqtada Sadr broke through barricades of the fortified Green Zone for the first time, after MPs failed to convene for a vote.

A state of emergency was declared in the city, though not a curfew.

Iraqi Shia protesters storm Baghdad parliament _89523841_032705770-1
Delighted protesters cheered and posed for photos

Security forces near the US embassy fired tear gas to stop more protesters entering the Green Zone.

Mr Sadr wants PM Haider al-Abadi to commit to a plan to replace ministers with non-partisan technocrats.

Powerful parties in parliament have refused to approve the change for several weeks.
Iraqi Shia protesters storm Baghdad parliament _89523839_032706323-1
Stones were thrown at cars thought to be carrying MPs away

Earlier this week, hundreds of thousands of people marched towards the Green Zone, the most secure part of Baghdad that houses embassies and government buildings, to protest against the political deadlock.

Iraqi President Fuad Masum has called on the protesters to vacate parliament and politicians to enact the cabinet reshuffle.

Escalation

A new protest outside the zone escalated after parliament again failed to reach a quorum on Saturday.

Groups marched on the district soon after the end of a televised appearance by Mr Sadr, although he did not call for the storming of parliament.

The protesters tried to stop lawmakers attempting to flee the building.
Inside the chamber, jubilant demonstrators took up the seats of the deputies and posed for photos.

One protester, Ali Mohammed, said they were angry at the politicians' failure to act.

Iraqi Shia protesters storm Baghdad parliament _89523837_032706878-1

The demonstrators streamed through the Green Zone's defences
"The people have come to the right place, to rule themselves," he told Reuters news agency.

"The people are now staging a sit-in inside parliament. Our legitimate and only demand is to dismiss the government and replace it with an independent cabinet of technocrats."

The state of emergency declared does not feature a curfew.

Crisis escalates - BBC Middle East analyst Sebastian Usher

This is a major escalation of a political crisis that's been brewing for months. The Iraqi prime minister set out an ambitious programme for reform last year - intended to foster a sense of political unity and accountability to help Iraq tackle the challenge of a failing economy and even more urgently, the battle against IS.

But he's met fierce opposition at every turn in his attempt to cut off the political and financial corruption that's enriched and empowered the elite for so long.

Moqtada Sadr has ostensibly supported him in this aim - having reinvented himself as the voice of the angry Iraqi people, fed up with the status quo.
But with the storming of parliament by his followers, there must now be a big question over whether he offers support to the beleaguered prime minister, or a challenge.

EU foreign affairs chief Federica Mogherini criticised the protesters' actions, saying it was in the interests of the Iraqi people to restore order rapidly.

"It appears a deliberate disruption of the democratic process," she said in a statement.

'Lockdown'

The protesters are reported to have begun ransacking parliament buildings. United Nations and embassy staff were on lockdown inside their compounds, Reuters reports.

Iraq's system of sharing government jobs has long been criticised for promoting unqualified candidates and encouraging corruption.

Mr Abadi, who came to power in 2014, has promised to stamp out corruption and ease sectarian tensions, but he has failed to far to introduce a new technocratic cabinet.
A survey by the Pew Research Centre in 2011 suggested that 51% of Iraqi Muslims identified themselves as Shia, compared with 42% Sunni.

Elsewhere in Baghdad, a car bomb targeted a group of Shia Muslim pilgrims on Saturday, killing at least 21 people.

Iraqi Shia protesters storm Baghdad parliament _89523698_032706312-1

The Shia protesters unfurled banners after storming parliament

Who is Moqtada Sadr?

The Shia cleric and his militia group, the Mehdi Army, gained prominence after the US-led invasion of Iraq in 2003. galvanising anti-US sentiment.

Iraqi Shia protesters storm Baghdad parliament _89521967_075b9c2c-b1d0-49c6-b697-945159e4d6e5

Mr Sadr's followers clashed repeatedly with US forces, whose withdrawal the cleric consistently demanded.

An arrest warrant was issued for Mr Sadr in 2004 in connection with the murder of a rival cleric.

Iraqi Shia protesters storm Baghdad parliament _89525511_032707333-1

Protesters toppled blast walls to reach the building

His militia was also blamed for the torture and killing of thousands of Sunnis in the sectarian carnage of 2006 and 2007. Mr Sadr fled to Iran during that period.

In 2011, Mr Sadr returned from his self-imposed exile to Iraq, taking a more conciliatory tone and calling for Iraqi unity and peace.

Who is Moqtada Sadr?

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-36176910

Ponee
Ponee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Iraqi Shia protesters storm Baghdad parliament Empty Re: Iraqi Shia protesters storm Baghdad parliament

Post by Ponee Mon May 02, 2016 6:41 am

Ponee
Ponee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum