Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Carnival Rides
Iraq's Power Struggle-Power failure in Iraq as militias outgun state I_icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2024 5:03 pm by kenlej

» Go Russia
Iraq's Power Struggle-Power failure in Iraq as militias outgun state I_icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2024 11:37 am by kenlej

» Go Russia
Iraq's Power Struggle-Power failure in Iraq as militias outgun state I_icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2024 10:51 am by kenlej

» Textbook Tony
Iraq's Power Struggle-Power failure in Iraq as militias outgun state I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2024 4:13 pm by Mission1st

» The Rockefellers and the controllers are freaking out right about now
Iraq's Power Struggle-Power failure in Iraq as militias outgun state I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2024 11:16 am by kenlej

» Phony Tony sez: Full Steam Ahead!
Iraq's Power Struggle-Power failure in Iraq as militias outgun state I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:51 am by Mission1st

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
Iraq's Power Struggle-Power failure in Iraq as militias outgun state I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:45 am by Mission1st

» Russia aren't taking any prisoners
Iraq's Power Struggle-Power failure in Iraq as militias outgun state I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2024 6:48 pm by kenlej

» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
Iraq's Power Struggle-Power failure in Iraq as militias outgun state I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» ZIGPLACE
Iraq's Power Struggle-Power failure in Iraq as militias outgun state I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
Iraq's Power Struggle-Power failure in Iraq as militias outgun state I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
Iraq's Power Struggle-Power failure in Iraq as militias outgun state I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
Iraq's Power Struggle-Power failure in Iraq as militias outgun state I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
Iraq's Power Struggle-Power failure in Iraq as militias outgun state I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
Iraq's Power Struggle-Power failure in Iraq as militias outgun state I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
Iraq's Power Struggle-Power failure in Iraq as militias outgun state I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
Iraq's Power Struggle-Power failure in Iraq as militias outgun state I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
Iraq's Power Struggle-Power failure in Iraq as militias outgun state I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
Iraq's Power Struggle-Power failure in Iraq as militias outgun state I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
Iraq's Power Struggle-Power failure in Iraq as militias outgun state I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

Iraq's Power Struggle-Power failure in Iraq as militias outgun state

2 posters

Go down

Iraq's Power Struggle-Power failure in Iraq as militias outgun state Empty Iraq's Power Struggle-Power failure in Iraq as militias outgun state

Post by Ponee Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:46 am

Iraq's Power Struggle
Oct. 21, 2015

Power failure in Iraq as militias outgun state

Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi came to office a year ago promising to rebuild his country. But the Iraqi state has grown weaker as power has leaked to Shi’ite militia leaders.

ERBIL, IRAQ –  In April, Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi sat at a conference table in his Baghdad office with almost two dozen men in combat fatigues. The men were not officers in the Iraqi Army, but representatives of the Shi’ite paramilitary groups that have led the fight against Islamic State.

Hadi al-Amiri, one of the most senior militia leaders, delivered a long and forceful monologue on his fighters’ recent victories. Abadi, in a blazer and tie, listened, occasionally jotting down notes, a video of the meeting shows. A few minutes later, Abadi himself praised the fighters.

The event was a sign of the delicate power balance in Iraq.

Abadi, a Shi’ite, came to office just over a year ago backed by both the United States and Iran. He promised to rebuild the fragmented country he inherited from his predecessor, Nuri al-Maliki, who was widely accused of fueling sectarian divisions. Since then, though, even more power has shifted from the government to the militia leaders.

Those leaders are friendly with Abadi. But the most influential describe themselves as loyal not only to Iraq but also to Iran’s supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei. Three big militias – Amiri’s Badr Organisation, Asaib Ahl al-Haq and Kataib Hezbollah – use the Iranian Shi’ite cleric’s image on either their posters or websites. Badr officials describe their relationship with Iran as good for Iraq’s national interests.

Initially, Abadi had little choice but to lean on the Shi’ite paramilitary forces. They grew in power after Sunni extremist group Islamic State captured large parts of northern Iraq in June last year and Iraq’s top Shi’ite cleric, Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani, called for volunteers to fight Islamic State, which soon declared a caliphate straddling the border with neighbouring Syria.

As the Shi’ite militias’ popularity surged, Abadi publicly lamented the lack of Western support. He made plain his desperate desire for help earlier this month after Iran and Russia opened offensives against the group in Syria. The prime minister said he would welcome Russian air strikes in Iraq as well. Abadi is looking not just to hurt Islamic State but to bolster his own position in Iraq.

Over the past few months he has attempted to impose his authority on the militia commanders and their political allies, and remind Iraqis he is the country’s legitimate leader. That is stoking tensions around who controls Iraq.

Abadi’s resources remain limited. Iraq’s regular military has not recovered from last year’s defeat by Islamic State. Most young Shi’ite Iraqi men now prefer to join the paramilitary groups, which are seen as braver and less corrupt.

http://www.reuters.com/investigates/special-report/iraq-abadi/

Ponee
Ponee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Iraq's Power Struggle-Power failure in Iraq as militias outgun state Empty Re: Iraq's Power Struggle-Power failure in Iraq as militias outgun state

Post by Terbo56 Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:33 am

The Iraqis need to put the firing pins back in the weapons that Obama took out of them to begin with, THEN, they might get somewhere-
Terbo56
Terbo56
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum