Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Carnival Rides
Addressing corruption just one part of Iraqi security I_icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2024 5:03 pm by kenlej

» Go Russia
Addressing corruption just one part of Iraqi security I_icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2024 11:37 am by kenlej

» Go Russia
Addressing corruption just one part of Iraqi security I_icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2024 10:51 am by kenlej

» Textbook Tony
Addressing corruption just one part of Iraqi security I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2024 4:13 pm by Mission1st

» The Rockefellers and the controllers are freaking out right about now
Addressing corruption just one part of Iraqi security I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2024 11:16 am by kenlej

» Phony Tony sez: Full Steam Ahead!
Addressing corruption just one part of Iraqi security I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:51 am by Mission1st

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
Addressing corruption just one part of Iraqi security I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:45 am by Mission1st

» Russia aren't taking any prisoners
Addressing corruption just one part of Iraqi security I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2024 6:48 pm by kenlej

» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
Addressing corruption just one part of Iraqi security I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» ZIGPLACE
Addressing corruption just one part of Iraqi security I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
Addressing corruption just one part of Iraqi security I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
Addressing corruption just one part of Iraqi security I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
Addressing corruption just one part of Iraqi security I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
Addressing corruption just one part of Iraqi security I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
Addressing corruption just one part of Iraqi security I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
Addressing corruption just one part of Iraqi security I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
Addressing corruption just one part of Iraqi security I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
Addressing corruption just one part of Iraqi security I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
Addressing corruption just one part of Iraqi security I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
Addressing corruption just one part of Iraqi security I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

Addressing corruption just one part of Iraqi security

Go down

Addressing corruption just one part of Iraqi security Empty Addressing corruption just one part of Iraqi security

Post by Kevind53 Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:22 pm

Author Mustafa al-Kadhimi Posted December 2, 2014
Translator(s)Joelle El-Khoury

Talk of reforming the military and security institutions is no longer internal to Iraq, but is now an international demand that has attracted the attention of US Secretary of State John Kerry and French President Francois Hollande. It has also been mentioned by retired Gen. John Allen, the coordinator of the international coalition against the Islamic State (IS).

The demand for military and security reform is not only an Iraqi interest. It is also a Kurdish one, as Iraqi Kurdistan President Massoud Barzani has stated to Al-Monitor the need to reform both the military and security institutions.

This need is championed by Sunni political figures, particularly parliament Speaker Salim al-Jabouri. Security and military reforms also figure prominently in the demands of Shiite politicians such as Ammar al-Hakim and Muqtada al-Sadr. The supreme religious authority, Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani, has also called for reform and considers the move a necessary step.

All of these examples suggest that the Iraqi military and security institutions need genuine, well-examined and systematic reform that is agreed upon by Iraqis, despite the differences over the possible methods.

Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi has already begun making a series of changes in the two institutions, by removing and excluding a number of commanders and appointing others. This move has received unprecedented local and international support.

According to some security experts, it seems logical to begin the reform process by replacing security and military commanders, but it should also include the institutions’ bases. The crisis in Iraq's military and security institutions is not attributable only to the leadership, but also to the structure of the two institutions. These structures — in which corruption, decline and poor planning and implementation prevail — is linked to the poor performance of these institutions after 2003, and to the defects in the standards prior to this date.

It is worth mentioning that there was also talk about corruption in these two institutions under Saddam Hussein's regime, which was complicit in the corruption, especially in the 1990s.

Retired Gen. Hazem al-Douri admitted as much to Al-Monitor. He recognized that the phenomenon of “ghost soldiers” (those who bribe officers to avoid showing up at their units) is widespread after Saddam’s regime turned a blind eye to bribery and blackmail in security institutions.

Douri said, “As professional officers, we were not happy. … That was a severe blow, the results of which were seen in 2003; the Iraqi army’s collapse and the fall of Saddam’s regime following the liberation of Kuwait and the economic siege, the army’s morale weakened and corruption spread within this institution. Yet, the army had enjoyed some degree of control over itself before 2003, based on a long tradition, and this is what the [current] army — which was established after 2003 — lacks. I am afraid that the armies that will be established in Iraq after 2014 will suffer from a lack of control as well.”

Douri was referring to the formation of the National Guard, the “popular mobilization” and the “Sahwa forces,” under official auspices. These formations were the product of the weak Iraqi army and security forces.

Iraqi Police Lt. Col. Hussein al-Kaabi told Al-Monitor, “The current Iraqi police force is an extension of the former regime’s police, with different commanders and officers. The philosophy, laws, mechanisms and use of torture as the easiest way to extract confessions are inherited practices that prevail within the institution.”

Kaabi’s statement points to a crucial issue: The replacement of former army and police commanders and officers did not lead to the reform of the military and security institutions, which have maintained their work methods — although their re-establishment after 2003 was under the control, supervision and training of US forces and security advisers.

In fact, the replacement of commanders is important but not imperative to achieve reform, which may be brought about through addressing the structural defects of the security and military institutions and by identifying the essence of the crisis and preparing short, medium and long-term plans that include reforms. These reforms should take on the laws under which security institutions operate and the rules by which the members and officers are selected and trained, including rehabilitation and development standards.

Drafting a clear road map that would eliminate corruption is possible today, as the Iraqi government headed by Abadi becomes serious in moving forward. The road to reform may start with the replacement of some of the security commanders, but it will not certainly end there. Iraq needs its own road map to restore its security and the strength of its military and security forces.

http://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/originals/2014/12/iraq-abadi-reforms-security-military-institution.html#ixzz3Kx0HGTQP

Trust but Verify --- R Reagan Suspect

"Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you."1 Thessalonians 5:14–18

Addressing corruption just one part of Iraqi security 2805820865  Addressing corruption just one part of Iraqi security 2805820865  Addressing corruption just one part of Iraqi security 2805820865  Addressing corruption just one part of Iraqi security 2805820865
Kevind53
Kevind53
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum