Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» The Rockefellers and the controllers are freaking out right about now
Obama: U.S. helps recapture Iraqi dam I_icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:16 am by kenlej

» Phony Tony sez: Full Steam Ahead!
Obama: U.S. helps recapture Iraqi dam I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:51 am by Mission1st

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
Obama: U.S. helps recapture Iraqi dam I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:45 am by Mission1st

» Russia aren't taking any prisoners
Obama: U.S. helps recapture Iraqi dam I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2024 6:48 pm by kenlej

» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
Obama: U.S. helps recapture Iraqi dam I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» ZIGPLACE
Obama: U.S. helps recapture Iraqi dam I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
Obama: U.S. helps recapture Iraqi dam I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
Obama: U.S. helps recapture Iraqi dam I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
Obama: U.S. helps recapture Iraqi dam I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
Obama: U.S. helps recapture Iraqi dam I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
Obama: U.S. helps recapture Iraqi dam I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
Obama: U.S. helps recapture Iraqi dam I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
Obama: U.S. helps recapture Iraqi dam I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
Obama: U.S. helps recapture Iraqi dam I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
Obama: U.S. helps recapture Iraqi dam I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
Obama: U.S. helps recapture Iraqi dam I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

» The second American Revolution has begun, God Bless Texas
Obama: U.S. helps recapture Iraqi dam I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 6:13 pm by kenlej

» The Global Currency Reset Evolution Event Will Begin With Gold, Zimbabwe ZWR Old Bank Notes
Obama: U.S. helps recapture Iraqi dam I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 28, 2024 3:28 pm by Mission1st

» Tucker talking Canada
Obama: U.S. helps recapture Iraqi dam I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2024 6:50 pm by kenlej

» Almost to the end The goodguys are winning
Obama: U.S. helps recapture Iraqi dam I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 9:03 pm by kenlej

Obama: U.S. helps recapture Iraqi dam

Go down

Obama: U.S. helps recapture Iraqi dam Empty Obama: U.S. helps recapture Iraqi dam

Post by Ponee Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:40 pm

Obama: U.S. helps recapture Iraqi dam 140818_iraq_gty_605

Iraqi and Kurdish forces recaptured Mosul Dam in Iraq’s north with the help of increased American airstrikes, President Barack Obama said on Monday.
Obama told reporters at the White House that the prospect of a breach in the dam was potentially so “catastrophic” that the U.S. had no choice but to help get it back into Iraqi government hands. Now that it is, Obama warned Iraqi leaders that the use of American power in Iraq would remain limited and that they continue to bear responsibility for ultimately resolving the crisis there.

“I told my national security team today — and I will say publicly — that we want to communicate to politicians of all stripes in Iraq — don’t think because we have engaged in airstrikes to protect our people … that’s not the time the time to let the foot off the gas and return to the same kind of dysfunction that has so weakened the country generally,” Obama said. “The wolf’s at the door.”

The president restated his pledge not to return large numbers of combat troops to Iraq and said he would remain on guard against so-called mission creep, which he defined as the U.S. “thinking we’ve got to do everything ourselves.”

Having “effective partners on the ground” in the Iraqi and Kurdish forces that succeeded in Mosul, Obama said, makes “mission creep” less likely. And that’s why it remains so important for Baghdad to form an inclusive new government.

U.S. fighter aircraft, drones and bombers increased their operational tempo over the weekend in order to clear the way for Iraqi and Kurdish troops. American warplanes have now conducted about 68 airstrikes across Iraq since Obama’s authorization, about 38 of which have concentrated in the Mosul area, the U.S. Central Command reported Monday.
The strikes destroyed several American-made Humvees that had been captured by ISIL, “armed” vehicles, artillery and other targets, according to the Central Command. There was no information about the numbers of ISIL fighters or other people who might have been killed.

One new detail was Central Command’s report that “bombers” are now involved. Air Force B-1B Lancer bombers based in Qatar can carry more ordnance than smaller Air Force and Navy fighters or drones. But neither Central Command nor Defense Department spokesman Col. Steve Warren would identify the “bombers” or their places of origin in the Middle East. Defense officials cited host nation sensibilities.

The U.S. also has air bases in Turkey, Kuwait and the United Arab Emirates, plus Navy fighters have been operating from the aircraft carrier USS George H.W. Bush in the Persian Gulf.

Warren said earlier Monday that Central Command is “developing” an estimate for the costs of the air operations in Iraq so far, which have ranged from 60 to 100 sorties a day. Remotely and human-piloted surveillance aircraft blanketed Iraq for weeks before the president authorized the use of force there. The money to underwrite the increased operational tempo is coming out Central Command’s operational fund, Warren said.

He declined to give operational details about the air campaign focused on the Mosul Dam. Warren did say American warplanes destroyed “pre-planned targets” before the start of the ground push to recapture the dam, but he would not describe how the air and ground forces are cooperating.
The president has said no American ground troops will take on a combat role, but it isn’t clear whether U.S. aircraft are acting independently and the Iraqis are following up as best they can or if the two sides are coordinating closely in terms of targets or objectives.
The prospect of the failure of the Mosul Dam, whether by deliberate sabotage or any other action, prompted American commanders to dedicate resources toward helping the Iraqis retake it, Warren said, but that does not mean the Pentagon believed it was under an immediate threat.
“We had no indication the dam was about to fail,” Warren said. “But what we felt was, were the dam to fail, the results would be catastrophic enough we felt we needed to have to take action.”

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2014/08/barack-obama-iraqi-dam-isil-110123.html#ixzz3An2sHfXx

Ponee
Ponee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum