Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Textbook Tony
Arizona’s First Bitcoin ATM Struck by Lightning I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2024 4:13 pm by Mission1st

» The Rockefellers and the controllers are freaking out right about now
Arizona’s First Bitcoin ATM Struck by Lightning I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2024 11:16 am by kenlej

» Phony Tony sez: Full Steam Ahead!
Arizona’s First Bitcoin ATM Struck by Lightning I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:51 am by Mission1st

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
Arizona’s First Bitcoin ATM Struck by Lightning I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:45 am by Mission1st

» Russia aren't taking any prisoners
Arizona’s First Bitcoin ATM Struck by Lightning I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2024 6:48 pm by kenlej

» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
Arizona’s First Bitcoin ATM Struck by Lightning I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» ZIGPLACE
Arizona’s First Bitcoin ATM Struck by Lightning I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
Arizona’s First Bitcoin ATM Struck by Lightning I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
Arizona’s First Bitcoin ATM Struck by Lightning I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
Arizona’s First Bitcoin ATM Struck by Lightning I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
Arizona’s First Bitcoin ATM Struck by Lightning I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
Arizona’s First Bitcoin ATM Struck by Lightning I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
Arizona’s First Bitcoin ATM Struck by Lightning I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
Arizona’s First Bitcoin ATM Struck by Lightning I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
Arizona’s First Bitcoin ATM Struck by Lightning I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
Arizona’s First Bitcoin ATM Struck by Lightning I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
Arizona’s First Bitcoin ATM Struck by Lightning I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

» The second American Revolution has begun, God Bless Texas
Arizona’s First Bitcoin ATM Struck by Lightning I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 6:13 pm by kenlej

» The Global Currency Reset Evolution Event Will Begin With Gold, Zimbabwe ZWR Old Bank Notes
Arizona’s First Bitcoin ATM Struck by Lightning I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 28, 2024 3:28 pm by Mission1st

» Tucker talking Canada
Arizona’s First Bitcoin ATM Struck by Lightning I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2024 6:50 pm by kenlej

Arizona’s First Bitcoin ATM Struck by Lightning

Go down

Arizona’s First Bitcoin ATM Struck by Lightning Empty Arizona’s First Bitcoin ATM Struck by Lightning

Post by Ponee Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:40 am

Arizona’s First Bitcoin ATM Struck by Lightning

Nermin Hajdarbegovic | Published on July 29, 2014 at 12:34 BST

Arizona’s First Bitcoin ATM Struck by Lightning Lightning-shutterstock-1250px-300x185

Arizona’s first and only bitcoin ATM, which was only installed last week, has been knocked out of action by a lighting strike.

The Skyhook machine, which was installed inside the Bookmans Entertainment Exchange, Tuscon, was operated by Javelin Investments LLC.

Brian Williams, founder of the company, told azcentral.com that the building was struck by lightning, which caused a power surge and knocked out some of the ATM’s components, adding:

“It’s kind of like getting punched in the face. I’m trying to pick up the pieces and trying to figure out where we are at.”

Williams told the website that about a dozen people had used the ATM in the few days it was operational. Most bought relatively small amounts of bitcoin, around $5-$10 per purchase, but one user bought 1 BTC (worth around $581 at press time). Williams said, because of its larger value, he did that transaction in person, using a laptop.

Arizona’s First Bitcoin ATM Struck by Lightning Bookmans-atm-comicbook-630x472The functioning Skyhook ATM situated in Bookmans Entertainment Exchange in Tuscon, Arizona.
Picking up the pieces

Williams says he is currently trying to determine the amount of damage to the ATM. The surge affected one of the machine’s core components, he said, but other components may have been damaged as well, such as the touchscreen and the ATM’s bill acceptor.

On the upside, the power surge did not affect any of the accounts linked to the machine and Williams was able to recover all of the hard currency stored inside.

Williams described the unfortunate event as a “totally avoidable thing” and apologised to users who were inconvenienced by it.

Currently there are about 25 bitcoin ATMs in the US. Following the strike, Arizona’s bitcoiners are out of luck, as the closest bitcoin ATMs are in installed in Las Vegas and San Diego.

The CoinDesk bitcoin ATM map lists upwards of 125 active bitcoin ATMs deployed across five continents. Most are located in Europe, North America and East Asia.
Image courtesy of Brian Williams.

Ponee
Ponee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum