Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» The Rockefellers and the controllers are freaking out right about now
Deconstructed Stuffed Cabbage Casserole  I_icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:16 am by kenlej

» Phony Tony sez: Full Steam Ahead!
Deconstructed Stuffed Cabbage Casserole  I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:51 am by Mission1st

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
Deconstructed Stuffed Cabbage Casserole  I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:45 am by Mission1st

» Russia aren't taking any prisoners
Deconstructed Stuffed Cabbage Casserole  I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2024 6:48 pm by kenlej

» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
Deconstructed Stuffed Cabbage Casserole  I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» ZIGPLACE
Deconstructed Stuffed Cabbage Casserole  I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
Deconstructed Stuffed Cabbage Casserole  I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
Deconstructed Stuffed Cabbage Casserole  I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
Deconstructed Stuffed Cabbage Casserole  I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
Deconstructed Stuffed Cabbage Casserole  I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
Deconstructed Stuffed Cabbage Casserole  I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
Deconstructed Stuffed Cabbage Casserole  I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
Deconstructed Stuffed Cabbage Casserole  I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
Deconstructed Stuffed Cabbage Casserole  I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
Deconstructed Stuffed Cabbage Casserole  I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
Deconstructed Stuffed Cabbage Casserole  I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

» The second American Revolution has begun, God Bless Texas
Deconstructed Stuffed Cabbage Casserole  I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 6:13 pm by kenlej

» The Global Currency Reset Evolution Event Will Begin With Gold, Zimbabwe ZWR Old Bank Notes
Deconstructed Stuffed Cabbage Casserole  I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 28, 2024 3:28 pm by Mission1st

» Tucker talking Canada
Deconstructed Stuffed Cabbage Casserole  I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2024 6:50 pm by kenlej

» Almost to the end The goodguys are winning
Deconstructed Stuffed Cabbage Casserole  I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 9:03 pm by kenlej

Deconstructed Stuffed Cabbage Casserole

Go down

Deconstructed Stuffed Cabbage Casserole  Empty Deconstructed Stuffed Cabbage Casserole

Post by Ponee Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:53 am

Deconstructed Stuffed Cabbage Casserole Recipe

Deconstructed Stuffed Cabbage Casserole  1-Deconstructed-Cabbage-Roll-Casserole-500x500-kalynskitchen

(Makes 8-10 servings, depending on what else you're serving it with; recipe adapted from a layered cabbage casserole recipe sent to me by my good friend Dolores.)
Deconstructed Stuffed Cabbage Casserole  2-Deconstructed-Cabbage-Roll-Casserole-500x500-kalynskitchen
Ingredients:

1 1/2 T olive oil, divided (more or less, depending on your pan)
1 lb. lean ground beef
1 large onion, chopped small
1 T finely minced garlic
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1 tsp. sweet Hungarian Paprika (good quality paprika makes a big difference in flavor in a dish like this)
1/2 tsp. sharp Hungarian Paprika (optional; if making for kids I might leave this out)
salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste (for seasoning meat mixture and cooked cabbage)
1 1/2 heads green cabbage, coarsely chopped
1 can (14.5 oz.) petite dice tomatoes with juice
1 can (15 oz.) tomato sauce
1/4 cup water (just enough to rinse out each of the cans)
2 cups cooked rice (I used brown rice)
2 cups low-fat cheese (optional; I used a blend of 80% low-fat mozzarella, 10% low-fat cheddar, and 10% Provolone.)

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 350F/180C. Spray a large glass or crockery casserole dish with non-stick spray. (I used a dish that was 12" x 10".)

Heat 1-2 tsp. olive oil in a large frying pan; add ground beef and cook until it's done and nicely browned, breaking apart as it cooks. (I like to use a potato masher to break the meat apart once it's partly done.) Remove ground beef to a bowl.

In the same pan, add a little more olive oil if needed, then add chopped onion and cook over medium heat until the onion is translucent and starting to brown, about 5 minutes. Add the minced garlic, dried thyme, and paprika and cook about 2 minutes more. Then add the diced tomatoes with juice, tomato sauce, and ground beef. Rinse each of the cans out with a little water (about 1/4 cup total) and add to the pan. Let mixture simmer until it's hot and slightly thickened, about 15-20 minutes.

While the meat mixture simmers, cut cabbage in half, cut out the core, and remove any wilted outer leaves, and then chop the cabbage coarsely into pieces. (They don't have to be all the same size. I chopped it into pieces that varied from 1/2 inch to 1 1/2 inches.) Heat about 2 tsp. olive oil in a large frying pan or dutch oven with high sides, add the cabbage and cook over medium-high heat until the cabbage is wilted and about half cooked, turning it over several times so it all wilts and cooks. Season cabbage with salt and fresh-ground black pepper.

When the meat and tomato sauce mixture has cooked 15-20 minutes and thickened a bit, stir in the 2 cups of cooked rice and gently combine.

Spray a large glass or crockery casserole dish with non-stick spray and the layer half the cabbage, half the meat mixture, other half of cabbage, and other half of meat mixture. Cover tightly with foil and bake 40 minutes, or until the mixture is just starting to bubble on the edges.

Remove foil and sprinkle on cheese (if using.) Bake uncovered an additional 20 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and starting to slightly brown. Serve hot.

This freezes well, and I'm looking forward to enjoying it several more times when I eat the portions I have in the freezer. To reheat, I would recommend thawing overnight in the refrigerator and then either microwaving it until hot or heating in the oven in a glass dish covered with foil.

This printable recipe from KalynsKitchen.com.
Posted by Kalyn Denny at 2:07 PM

Ponee
Ponee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum