Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» The Rockefellers and the controllers are freaking out right about now
THE BENEFITS OF GROWING PARSLEY IN YOUR KITCHEN GARDEN I_icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:16 am by kenlej

» Phony Tony sez: Full Steam Ahead!
THE BENEFITS OF GROWING PARSLEY IN YOUR KITCHEN GARDEN I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:51 am by Mission1st

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
THE BENEFITS OF GROWING PARSLEY IN YOUR KITCHEN GARDEN I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:45 am by Mission1st

» Russia aren't taking any prisoners
THE BENEFITS OF GROWING PARSLEY IN YOUR KITCHEN GARDEN I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2024 6:48 pm by kenlej

» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
THE BENEFITS OF GROWING PARSLEY IN YOUR KITCHEN GARDEN I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» ZIGPLACE
THE BENEFITS OF GROWING PARSLEY IN YOUR KITCHEN GARDEN I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
THE BENEFITS OF GROWING PARSLEY IN YOUR KITCHEN GARDEN I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
THE BENEFITS OF GROWING PARSLEY IN YOUR KITCHEN GARDEN I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
THE BENEFITS OF GROWING PARSLEY IN YOUR KITCHEN GARDEN I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
THE BENEFITS OF GROWING PARSLEY IN YOUR KITCHEN GARDEN I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
THE BENEFITS OF GROWING PARSLEY IN YOUR KITCHEN GARDEN I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
THE BENEFITS OF GROWING PARSLEY IN YOUR KITCHEN GARDEN I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
THE BENEFITS OF GROWING PARSLEY IN YOUR KITCHEN GARDEN I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
THE BENEFITS OF GROWING PARSLEY IN YOUR KITCHEN GARDEN I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
THE BENEFITS OF GROWING PARSLEY IN YOUR KITCHEN GARDEN I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
THE BENEFITS OF GROWING PARSLEY IN YOUR KITCHEN GARDEN I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

» The second American Revolution has begun, God Bless Texas
THE BENEFITS OF GROWING PARSLEY IN YOUR KITCHEN GARDEN I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 6:13 pm by kenlej

» The Global Currency Reset Evolution Event Will Begin With Gold, Zimbabwe ZWR Old Bank Notes
THE BENEFITS OF GROWING PARSLEY IN YOUR KITCHEN GARDEN I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 28, 2024 3:28 pm by Mission1st

» Tucker talking Canada
THE BENEFITS OF GROWING PARSLEY IN YOUR KITCHEN GARDEN I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2024 6:50 pm by kenlej

» Almost to the end The goodguys are winning
THE BENEFITS OF GROWING PARSLEY IN YOUR KITCHEN GARDEN I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 9:03 pm by kenlej

THE BENEFITS OF GROWING PARSLEY IN YOUR KITCHEN GARDEN

2 posters

Go down

THE BENEFITS OF GROWING PARSLEY IN YOUR KITCHEN GARDEN Empty THE BENEFITS OF GROWING PARSLEY IN YOUR KITCHEN GARDEN

Post by alleyrose Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:30 am

THE BENEFITS OF GROWING PARSLEY IN YOUR KITCHEN GARDEN UTH_parsley1

Parsley (Petroselinum crispum) basically falls into one of two categories; Italian (flat) or French (curly). While they’re both hardy biennials, meaning they flower and go to seed every other year, like many herbs and vegetables, they’re usually grown as annuals.
The general feeling among gardeners is that the French curly parsley is planted for decorating culinary dishes, while the strong-flavored, Italian flat parsley (P. crispum var. neapolitanum) is grown for flavor, although the curly parsley is useful for cooking, as well. Both types deserve a place in the kitchen garden as there aren’t many dishes that won’t be enhanced by this pungent herb. Parsley finds its way into sauces, rice, vegetable dishes, stews, eggs, cheese spreads, fish dishes, and more.

Hamburg parsley (var. tuberosum) is a third parsley variety that’s not nearly as popular as its cousins. While its greens are certainly used in cooking, it’s the Hamburg’s roots that take center stage. The root of Hamburg parsley is used as a winter vegetable much like parsnips – and it resembles them, too. Its flavor is described as a cross between celery and parsley. Which shouldn’t come as a surprise as all parsley and celery are family — along with carrots. The word “petroselinum” is Greek for “rock celery”.

THE BENEFITS OF GROWING PARSLEY IN YOUR KITCHEN GARDEN UTH_parsley3

Nutritional Benefits

Parsley may fancy-up dishes, but it isn’t just another pretty face; its benefits go way beyond the palate. Historically and today, parsley is heralded for its nutritional value:
• Flavinoids in which some are anti-oxidants that neutralize free-radicals. Some of these have been shown to prevent (or slow) development of certain cancers.
• Diuretic and stimulator of the kidneys which help clear toxic compounds from the body.
• Anti-inflammatory properties
• Histamine inhibitors
• Iron
• Great source of vitamin A
• Parsley contains three times the amount of vitamin C as oranges do (pound for pound). Although, the flat-leaved carries more than the curly-leafed variety.
• Properties that freshen breath

Parsley in the Garden

Parsley is at its best when grown fresh every year. But the stubborn seeds are notoriously slow to germinate. In fact, in 1883, it was said that parsley “has to go to the devil and back again before it will sprout” or “parsley has to go to the devil nine times and often forgets to come back.”
THE BENEFITS OF GROWING PARSLEY IN YOUR KITCHEN GARDEN UTH_parsley2

Photo by digipam
In any case, due to the long germination period, gardeners very often choose to start them indoors 4 – 6 weeks before the last frost. This way, by the time the soil has warmed up, they’re already little baby parsleys ready to transplant into their permanent bed. If you’re not into starting plants early indoors, no worries; they can be seeded directly in the garden in the early spring. Depending on the variety, parsley will grow anywhere from 6″ to 3′ tall.
To help things along, soak the seeds for 24 hours before they’re planted. Another tip for speeding up germination is to pour boiling water over the soil or soil-less medium. These tiny seeds can be sprinkled sparsely and covered by only 1/4 inch or soil. Ideally, the soil should be at about 70 degrees or higher and uniformly moist. While parsley is actively growing in your garden, it likes soil that falls a little on the acidic side. It prefers full sun where climates are cool, but tolerates light shade in hot areas.

Harvesting

Parsley leaves can be picked or cut from the plant whenever they’re needed in the kitchen. After harvesting, it can be kept placed into air-tight baggies and frozen, or be dried and stored. For gardeners with limited space, it takes well to life in pots on porches, as well as indoors in sunny windowsills.

THE BENEFITS OF GROWING PARSLEY IN YOUR KITCHEN GARDEN UTH_parsley4
http://untrainedhousewife.com/growing-parsley-in-your-kitchen-garden

All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us.........~Gandalf~

Come visit me: www.alleysplace.net
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alleysplace1/
alleyrose
alleyrose
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

THE BENEFITS OF GROWING PARSLEY IN YOUR KITCHEN GARDEN Empty Re: THE BENEFITS OF GROWING PARSLEY IN YOUR KITCHEN GARDEN

Post by Goldiegirl Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:24 am

Thanks Alleyrose. I grew parsley for the first time in my garden last summer.  I'm going to try both kinds. I grew the curly and it grew like crazy.
Goldiegirl
Goldiegirl
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

THE BENEFITS OF GROWING PARSLEY IN YOUR KITCHEN GARDEN Empty Re: THE BENEFITS OF GROWING PARSLEY IN YOUR KITCHEN GARDEN

Post by alleyrose Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:09 pm

I love parsley I have the curley and Italian parsley growing at the moment, it's an absolute must have!

All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us.........~Gandalf~

alleyrose
alleyrose
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Goldiegirl Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:56 pm

I think the Italian parsley has much more flavor and aroma than the curly parsley. I grew the curly because it keeps bugs away and helps the tomatoes have great taste.
Goldiegirl
Goldiegirl
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post by alleyrose Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:57 pm

Yes I definately agree with that!!

alleyrose
alleyrose
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Goldiegirl Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:59 pm

Did you know this is good for a dog's digestive system?  It helps balance their PH levels and helps their gut have healthy flora.  I am a raw and cooked feeder and parsley is a must for these dogs.  Dogs can get yeasty if they aren't fed a properly balanced diet and  kibble has a heavy carb content.

I grab a small pinch (he's only 11 lbs) and chop it up up (about a teaspoon) and add it to his meals. He loves it. I tried giving it to him alone and he ate it. My Golden didn't like leafy greens so I always had so make sure they were buried in his meals. LOL
Goldiegirl
Goldiegirl
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum