Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Phony Tony sez: Full Steam Ahead!
Iraq eyes return to Opec quota system I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:51 am by Mission1st

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
Iraq eyes return to Opec quota system I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:45 am by Mission1st

» Russia aren't taking any prisoners
Iraq eyes return to Opec quota system I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2024 6:48 pm by kenlej

» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
Iraq eyes return to Opec quota system I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» ZIGPLACE
Iraq eyes return to Opec quota system I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
Iraq eyes return to Opec quota system I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
Iraq eyes return to Opec quota system I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
Iraq eyes return to Opec quota system I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
Iraq eyes return to Opec quota system I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
Iraq eyes return to Opec quota system I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
Iraq eyes return to Opec quota system I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
Iraq eyes return to Opec quota system I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
Iraq eyes return to Opec quota system I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
Iraq eyes return to Opec quota system I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
Iraq eyes return to Opec quota system I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

» The second American Revolution has begun, God Bless Texas
Iraq eyes return to Opec quota system I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 6:13 pm by kenlej

» The Global Currency Reset Evolution Event Will Begin With Gold, Zimbabwe ZWR Old Bank Notes
Iraq eyes return to Opec quota system I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 28, 2024 3:28 pm by Mission1st

» Tucker talking Canada
Iraq eyes return to Opec quota system I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2024 6:50 pm by kenlej

» Almost to the end The goodguys are winning
Iraq eyes return to Opec quota system I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 9:03 pm by kenlej

» Dinar Daily Facebook Page
Iraq eyes return to Opec quota system I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 3:34 pm by Ponee

Iraq eyes return to Opec quota system

Go down

Iraq eyes return to Opec quota system Empty Iraq eyes return to Opec quota system

Post by Ponee Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:51 am

January 28, 2014 8:40 pm
Iraq eyes return to Opec quota system
By Ajay Makan and Neil Hume in London
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/8967defa-884f-11e3-85a2-00144feab7de.html#ixzz2rtDPEUrl

Iraq eyes return to Opec quota system D5fc3c96-eacd-4f26-9b47-1fbaef562639
©Reuters

Iraq has for the first time begun preparing for a return to the Opec production quota system, in a shift of policy that reduces the prospect of oversupply and lower prices in global oil markets.

Iraq, whose oil industry has recovered rapidly since the US-led invasion a decade ago, is expected to be one of the largest sources of supply growth in the oil market over the next decade.

With North American output also rising rapidly due to the shale revolution, some analysts have raised the prospect of a supply glut unless Opec, the cartel of oil exporters, can control production.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/8967defa-884f-11e3-85a2-00144feab7de.html#ixzz2rtDPEUrl

Until now Iraq has insisted that other members of the producers’ group, which controls around a third of the world’s oil production, should accommodate its growth. But speaking to reporters on Tuesday, Dr Hussain al-Shahristani, Iraq’s deputy prime minister for energy, said the country had started preparing the ground for a return to the quota system.

“Discussions would have to be held at Opec when we reach four to 5m barrels of production capacity,” he said. “We are preparing a proposal for calculating quotas for Opec members and criteria to be used for that.”

Mr Shahristani said other Opec members were aware of Iraq’s work, and would have their own proposals.

Opec produces around 30m barrels a day of crude with each member assigned a target, although these are not disclosed to the public. Iraq has been excluded from these quotas for many years because of the impact of sanctions and war on its oil industry.

However, Iraqi production has recovered rapidly in recent years leading to pressure within the cartel for Baghdad to adopt production discipline as well. Iraq currently produces 3m barrels of crude oil a day, second only to Saudi Arabia within Opec.

The comments from Mr Shahristani mark a more conciliatory tone that sets the stage for tough negotiations within Opec, where Iraq has been competing with Saudi Arabia for market share in Asia and particularly China.

Iraq is aiming for just over 4m barrels a day of production by the end of this year, although analysts are sceptical. Mr Shahristani said this target did not mean that discussions would necessarily have to start this year. Recent weeks have seen leading forecasting bodies raise their estimates for global oil demand, due to strong consumption in the US.

Mr Shahristani said: “For the time being we are working on the assumption that there will be room for Iraqi crude without squeezing anyone seriously.”

But if Iranian production were to increase significantly this year as a result of discussions on its nuclear programme, Mr Shahristani said that would “obviously” expedite discussions within Opec.

Analysts reckon growth in Iraqi exports this year could be challenged by problems with storage facilities on the Faw peninsula in southern Iraq.

Bad weather has repeatedly forced BP to cut back production at its giant Rumaila oilfield.
Mr Shahristani acknowledged: “Curtailment due to bad weather could ... cause a production loss.”
Separately, Mr Shahristani said Iraq planned to start importing natural gas from neighbour Iran as soon as April despite continuing western sanctions against Tehran’s energy sector. Mr Shahristani said his government had explained to the US that Iraq had no other way of providing electricity for its population.

“We explained that getting gas for our power plants is not a luxury.”

Ponee
Ponee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum