Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Carnival Rides
Maliki and the Militants I_icon_minitimeYesterday at 5:03 pm by kenlej

» Go Russia
Maliki and the Militants I_icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2024 11:37 am by kenlej

» Go Russia
Maliki and the Militants I_icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2024 10:51 am by kenlej

» Textbook Tony
Maliki and the Militants I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2024 4:13 pm by Mission1st

» The Rockefellers and the controllers are freaking out right about now
Maliki and the Militants I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2024 11:16 am by kenlej

» Phony Tony sez: Full Steam Ahead!
Maliki and the Militants I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:51 am by Mission1st

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
Maliki and the Militants I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:45 am by Mission1st

» Russia aren't taking any prisoners
Maliki and the Militants I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2024 6:48 pm by kenlej

» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
Maliki and the Militants I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» ZIGPLACE
Maliki and the Militants I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
Maliki and the Militants I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
Maliki and the Militants I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
Maliki and the Militants I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
Maliki and the Militants I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
Maliki and the Militants I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
Maliki and the Militants I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
Maliki and the Militants I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
Maliki and the Militants I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
Maliki and the Militants I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
Maliki and the Militants I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

Maliki and the Militants

2 posters

Go down

Maliki and the Militants Empty Maliki and the Militants

Post by TLF Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:32 am

Iraq's Fallujah falls to 'Qaeda-linked' militants

Maliki and the Militants 4057a103bd48c4a8e7e547fb72be685c290270f0

Fallujah (Iraq) (AFP) - Iraq has lost Fallujah to Al-Qaeda-linked fighters, a senior security official said Saturday, putting militants back in control of a city where American forces repeatedly battled insurgents.

Parts of Fallujah and Ramadi, west of Baghdad, have been held by militants for days, harkening back to the years after the 2003 US-led invasion when both cities were insurgent strongholds.
Fighting erupted in the Ramadi area Monday, when security forces broke up an anti-government protest camp set up after demonstrations broke out in late 2012 against what Sunni Arabs say is the marginalisation and targeting of their community.

The violence then spread to Fallujah, and a subsequent withdrawal of security forces from areas of both cities cleared the way for ISIL to move in.

"Fallujah is under the control of ISIL," a senior security official in Anbar province told AFP, referring to the Al-Qaeda-linked Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant.

However, the city's outskirts were in the hands of local police, the official added.

View gallery
Maliki and the Militants 47438aa6385570af15381db1d287f3fe52116b0e

Smoke billows from a police car following clashes between Jihadists and Iraqi forces backed by tribe …

An AFP journalist inside Fallujah also said ISIL seemed to be in control, with no security forces or Sahwa anti-Al-Qaeda militiamen visible on the streets.

Meanwhile, Iraqi ground forces commander Staff General Ali Ghaidan Majeed told AFP that police and tribesmen were hunting for militants in Ramadi, with army support.

And he said authorities were working on "fixing the situation in Fallujah."

Majeed said there are three groups involved in the fighting: security forces and allied tribes, ISIL, and forces of the anti-government "Military Council of the Tribes."
On Friday alone, more than 100 people were killed in Ramadi and Fallujah, in the country's deadliest single day in years.

View gallery
Maliki and the Militants 4057a103bd48c4a8e7e547fb72be685c290270f0

Smoke billows from a police car following clashes between Jihadists and Iraqi forces in Fallujah on …

Hundreds of gunmen, some bearing the black flags often flown by jihadists, gathered at outdoor weekly Muslim prayers in central Fallujah on Friday, where one militant announced that "Fallujah is an Islamic state," a witness said.

The city was the target of two major assaults after the 2003 invasion, in which American forces saw some of their heaviest fighting since the Vietnam War.

American troops fought for years, aided by Sunni tribesmen in the Sahwa militia forces from late 2006, to wrest control of Anbar from militants.

Militant power rising
US forces suffered almost one-third of their total Iraq fatalities in Anbar, according to independent website icasualties.org.

View gallery
Maliki and the Militants 703119654890ddb2b62846046e8fe248d5fe6597

An Iraqi soldier inspects the destroyed building housing the electricity department headquarters fol …

But two years after US forces withdrew from the country, the power of militants in the province is again rising.

ISIL is the latest incarnation of an Al-Qaeda affiliate that lost ground from 2006, as Sunni tribesmen and former insurgents allied with US troops against jihadists in a process that began in Anbar and came to be known as the "Awakening."

But the extremist group has made a striking comeback following the US withdrawal and the outbreak of Syria's civil war in 2011.

Charles Lister, a visiting fellow at the Brookings Doha Center, said its "strength and territorial control and influence has been expanding in Anbar for some time", although mainly in rural desert areas.
The Ramadi protest camp operation pushed Sunni tribes into conflict with the government, and ISIL "has ridden this wave of popular Sunni anger", Lister said.

View gallery
Maliki and the Militants 2b7f01d3675d963ac052a84194a3564893311ade

Iraqi medics attend to a wounded man at a hospital in Fallujah, west of Baghdad, on May 17, 2013 fol …

Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki had long sought the closure of the protest camp, dubbing it a "headquarters for the leadership of Al-Qaeda".

But its removal has caused a sharp decline in the security situation.
And while the closure has removed a physical sign of Sunni Arab grievances, the perceived injustices that underpinned the protest have not been addressed.

Violence in Iraq last year reached a level not seen since 2008, when it was just emerging from a brutal period of sectarian killings.

Sunni anger helped fuel the surge in unrest, boosting recruitment for militant groups and decreasing cooperation with security forces, while the civil war in Syria also played a role, experts say.

http://news.yahoo.com/fallujah-outside-iraq-govt-control-085331742.html?soc_src=copy
TLF
TLF
VIP NewsHound
VIP NewsHound

Back to top Go down

Maliki and the Militants Empty Re: Maliki and the Militants

Post by pama Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:49 am

I do not see Iraq making any economic progress until they stop this violence. How can a country move forward when they have all this fighting with themselves. They should have gotten ride of Maliki a long time ago and never allowed that war monger dictator to be leader of Iraq or any other country. They might have well left Sudan back in charge before they killed him. What a mess.

Pama's Friendly Tips
http://pamastalkshow.com
pama
pama
Forum Friend
Forum Friend

http://www.pamastalkshow.com

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum