Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Phony Tony sez: Full Steam Ahead!
Zimbabwe - Seen Introducing Dual Currency To Tackle Liquidity Crunch I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:51 am by Mission1st

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
Zimbabwe - Seen Introducing Dual Currency To Tackle Liquidity Crunch I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:45 am by Mission1st

» Russia aren't taking any prisoners
Zimbabwe - Seen Introducing Dual Currency To Tackle Liquidity Crunch I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2024 6:48 pm by kenlej

» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
Zimbabwe - Seen Introducing Dual Currency To Tackle Liquidity Crunch I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» ZIGPLACE
Zimbabwe - Seen Introducing Dual Currency To Tackle Liquidity Crunch I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
Zimbabwe - Seen Introducing Dual Currency To Tackle Liquidity Crunch I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
Zimbabwe - Seen Introducing Dual Currency To Tackle Liquidity Crunch I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
Zimbabwe - Seen Introducing Dual Currency To Tackle Liquidity Crunch I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
Zimbabwe - Seen Introducing Dual Currency To Tackle Liquidity Crunch I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
Zimbabwe - Seen Introducing Dual Currency To Tackle Liquidity Crunch I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
Zimbabwe - Seen Introducing Dual Currency To Tackle Liquidity Crunch I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
Zimbabwe - Seen Introducing Dual Currency To Tackle Liquidity Crunch I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
Zimbabwe - Seen Introducing Dual Currency To Tackle Liquidity Crunch I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
Zimbabwe - Seen Introducing Dual Currency To Tackle Liquidity Crunch I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
Zimbabwe - Seen Introducing Dual Currency To Tackle Liquidity Crunch I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

» The second American Revolution has begun, God Bless Texas
Zimbabwe - Seen Introducing Dual Currency To Tackle Liquidity Crunch I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 6:13 pm by kenlej

» The Global Currency Reset Evolution Event Will Begin With Gold, Zimbabwe ZWR Old Bank Notes
Zimbabwe - Seen Introducing Dual Currency To Tackle Liquidity Crunch I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 28, 2024 3:28 pm by Mission1st

» Tucker talking Canada
Zimbabwe - Seen Introducing Dual Currency To Tackle Liquidity Crunch I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2024 6:50 pm by kenlej

» Almost to the end The goodguys are winning
Zimbabwe - Seen Introducing Dual Currency To Tackle Liquidity Crunch I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 9:03 pm by kenlej

» Dinar Daily Facebook Page
Zimbabwe - Seen Introducing Dual Currency To Tackle Liquidity Crunch I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 3:34 pm by Ponee

Zimbabwe - Seen Introducing Dual Currency To Tackle Liquidity Crunch

Go down

Zimbabwe - Seen Introducing Dual Currency To Tackle Liquidity Crunch Empty Zimbabwe - Seen Introducing Dual Currency To Tackle Liquidity Crunch

Post by Ponee Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:38 pm

Zimbabwe - Seen Introducing Dual Currency To Tackle Liquidity Crunch

November 9, 2013

Zimbabwe - Seen Introducing Dual Currency To Tackle Liquidity Crunch Chinamasa-presser-02

By Chipo Musoko, HARARE, November 9 (The Source) – Zimbabwe is likely to adopt a dual currency system that could bring back the Zimbabwe dollar alongside the United States currency if the government fails to resolve the liquidity crisis and to convince multilateral institutions to lend money, an analyst has said.

Zimbabwe ditched its local currency after being rendered worthless by hyper-inflation which topped 500 billion percent and adopted the multi-currency system dominated by the US dollar in February 2009.

It has enjoyed an economic growth rate averaging seven percent since then and inflation fell to 0.86 percent in September but GDP growth is seen slowing to three percent this year after President Robert Mugabe’s ZANU-PF party claimed a decisive victory in the July 31 elections disputed by the opposition.

Finance minister Patrick Chinamasa has said the regime will continue indefinitely but Tony Hawkins, the head of the University of Zimbabwe’s Graduate School of Management said the tightening liquidity in the economy could force a rethink and that there was always the risk that politicians would seek a “superficially attractive” way out to finance campaign promises.

“I suspect – perhaps fear – that the government will opt for some dual currency option,” said Hawkins in a presentation of the 2014 economic outlook on Wednesday.

An International Monetary Fund (IMF) delegation is in the country to assess progress made in implementing the Staff Monitored Programme (SMP), which if successful, could help it clear $10 billion in external debts and give it access to new credit from international lenders although that is unlikely to happen soon.

“Given the IMF forecast of a sluggish global economy and the third successive year (in 2014) of decline in non-fuel commodity prices, Zimbabwe can expect little in terms of an external stimulus to growth. This means growth must be domestically-driven in an economy where the government budget is under enormous pressure and there is no scope for a fiscal stimulus,” said Hawkins.

Information minister Jonathan Moyo recently said the ZANU-PF party election manifesto left the door open for the return of the local currency to circulate along with the multiple-currency, although not in the foreseeable future.

The government has adopted a new economic blue print, Zimbabwe Agenda for Sustainable Socio-Economic Transformation (ZimAsset) which projects a GDP growth of 6.1 percent in 2014 and 9.9 percent by 2018 but Hawkins said the plan failed to explain where the investment would come from.

President Mugabe told a party meeting on Friday that government expects more money from diamond sales after the European Union removed sanctions on the state-owned Zimbabwe Mining Development Corporation.

http://source.co.zw/2013/11/zimbabwe-seen-introducing-dual-currency-to-tackle-liquidity-crunch-hawkins/#sthash.AV3SGwow.PPgUiURX.dpuf

Ponee
Ponee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum