Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» The Rockefellers and the controllers are freaking out right about now
Opinion Piece - Pulling the Curtain Back on Syria - New York Times I_icon_minitimeToday at 11:16 am by kenlej

» Phony Tony sez: Full Steam Ahead!
Opinion Piece - Pulling the Curtain Back on Syria - New York Times I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:51 am by Mission1st

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
Opinion Piece - Pulling the Curtain Back on Syria - New York Times I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:45 am by Mission1st

» Russia aren't taking any prisoners
Opinion Piece - Pulling the Curtain Back on Syria - New York Times I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2024 6:48 pm by kenlej

» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
Opinion Piece - Pulling the Curtain Back on Syria - New York Times I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» ZIGPLACE
Opinion Piece - Pulling the Curtain Back on Syria - New York Times I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
Opinion Piece - Pulling the Curtain Back on Syria - New York Times I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
Opinion Piece - Pulling the Curtain Back on Syria - New York Times I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
Opinion Piece - Pulling the Curtain Back on Syria - New York Times I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
Opinion Piece - Pulling the Curtain Back on Syria - New York Times I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
Opinion Piece - Pulling the Curtain Back on Syria - New York Times I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
Opinion Piece - Pulling the Curtain Back on Syria - New York Times I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
Opinion Piece - Pulling the Curtain Back on Syria - New York Times I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
Opinion Piece - Pulling the Curtain Back on Syria - New York Times I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
Opinion Piece - Pulling the Curtain Back on Syria - New York Times I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
Opinion Piece - Pulling the Curtain Back on Syria - New York Times I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

» The second American Revolution has begun, God Bless Texas
Opinion Piece - Pulling the Curtain Back on Syria - New York Times I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 6:13 pm by kenlej

» The Global Currency Reset Evolution Event Will Begin With Gold, Zimbabwe ZWR Old Bank Notes
Opinion Piece - Pulling the Curtain Back on Syria - New York Times I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 28, 2024 3:28 pm by Mission1st

» Tucker talking Canada
Opinion Piece - Pulling the Curtain Back on Syria - New York Times I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2024 6:50 pm by kenlej

» Almost to the end The goodguys are winning
Opinion Piece - Pulling the Curtain Back on Syria - New York Times I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 9:03 pm by kenlej

Opinion Piece - Pulling the Curtain Back on Syria - New York Times

2 posters

Go down

Opinion Piece - Pulling the Curtain Back on Syria - New York Times Empty Opinion Piece - Pulling the Curtain Back on Syria - New York Times

Post by Ponee Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:17 am

Op-Ed Columnist
Pulling the Curtain Back on Syria

Opinion Piece - Pulling the Curtain Back on Syria - New York Times 08KRISTOF-articleLarge

By NICHOLAS D. KRISTOF

Published: September 7, 2013

WHEN I was a law student in 1982, I escaped torts by backpacking through Syria and taking a public bus to Hama, where the government had suppressed a rebellion by massacring some 20,000 people

The center of Hama was pulverized into a vast field of rubble interspersed with bits of clothing, yet on the fringe of it stood, astonishingly, a tourism office. The two Syrian officials inside, thrilled to see an apparent tourist, weighed me down with leaflets about sightseeing in Hama and its ancient water wheels. After a bit of small talk, I pointed out the window at the moonscape and asked what had happened.

They peered out at the endless gravel pit.

“Huh?” one said nervously. “I don’t see anything.”

It feels to me a bit as if much of the world is reacting the same way today. The scale of the slaughter may be five times that of 1982, but few are interested in facing up to what is unfolding today out our window in Hama, Homs, Damascus and Aleppo.

As one woman tweeted to me: “We simply cannot stop every injustice in the world by using military weapons.”

Fair enough. But let’s be clear that this is not “every injustice”: On top of the 100,000-plus already killed in Syria, another 5,000 are being slaughtered monthly, according to the United Nations. Remember the Boston Massacre of 1770 from our history books, in which five people were killed? Syria loses that many people every 45 minutes on average, around the clock.

The rate of killing is accelerating. In the first year, 2011, there were fewer than 5,000 deaths. As of July 2012, there were still “only” 10,000, and the number has since soared tenfold.

A year ago, by United Nations calculations, there were 230,000 Syrian refugees. Now there are two million.

In other words, while there are many injustices around the world, from Darfur to eastern Congo, take it from one who has covered most of them: Syria is today the world capital of human suffering.

Skeptics are right about the drawbacks of getting involved, including the risk of retaliation. Yet let’s acknowledge that the alternative is, in effect, to acquiesce as the slaughter in Syria reaches perhaps the hundreds of thousands or more.

But what about the United Nations? How about a multilateral solution involving the Arab League? How about peace talks? What about an International Criminal Court prosecution?

All this sounds fine in theory, but Russia blocks progress in the United Nations. We’ve tried multilateral approaches, and Syrian leaders won’t negotiate a peace deal as long as they feel they’re winning on the ground. One risk of bringing in the International Criminal Court is that President Bashar al-Assad would be more wary of stepping down. The United Nations can’t stop the killing in Syria any more than in Darfur or Kosovo. As President Assad himself noted in 2009, “There is no substitute for the United States.”

So while neither intervention nor paralysis is appealing, that’s pretty much the menu. That’s why I favor a limited cruise missile strike against Syrian military targets (as well as the arming of moderate rebels). As I see it, there are several benefits: Such a strike may well deter Syria’s army from using chemical weapons again, probably can degrade the ability of the army to use chemical munitions and bomb civilian areas, can reinforce the global norm against chemical weapons, and — a more remote prospect — may slightly increase the pressure on the Assad regime to work out a peace deal.

If you’re thinking, “Those are incremental, speculative and highly uncertain gains,” well, you’re right. Syria will be bloody whatever we do.

Mine is a minority view. After the Afghanistan and Iraq wars, the West is bone weary and has little interest in atrocities unfolding in Syria or anywhere else. Opposition to missile strikes is one of the few issues that ordinary Democrats and Republicans agree on.

“So we’re bombing Syria because Syria is bombing Syria?” Sarah Palin wrote, in a rare comment that liberals might endorse. Her suggestion: “Let Allah sort it out.”

More broadly, pollsters are detecting a rise in isolationism. The proportion of Americans who say that “the U.S. should mind its own business internationally” has been at a historic high in recent years.

A Pew survey this year asked voters to rate 19 government expenses, and the top two choices for budget cuts were “aid to the world’s needy” and the State Department. (In fact, 0.5 percent of the budget goes to the world’s needy, and, until recently, the military had more musicians in its bands than the State Department had diplomats.)

When history looks back on this moment, will it view those who opposed intervening as champions of peace? Or, when the textbooks count the dead children, and the international norms broken with impunity, will our descendants puzzle that we took pride in retreating into passivity during this slaughter?

Isn’t this a bit like the idealists who embraced the Kellogg-Briand Pact that banned war 85 years ago? Sure, that made people feel good. But it may also have encouraged the appeasement that ultimately cost lives in World War II.

O.K., so I’ve just added fuel to the battle for analogies. For now, the one that has caught on is Iraq in 2003. But considering that no one is contemplating boots on the ground, a more relevant analogy in Iraq may be the 1998 Operation Desert Fox bombing of Iraqi military sites by President Bill Clinton. It lasted a few days, and some say it was a factor in leading Iraq to give up W.M.D. programs; others disagree.

THAT murkiness is not surprising. To me, the lessons of history in this area are complex and conflicting, offering no neat formula to reach peace or alleviate war. In most cases, diplomacy works best. But not always. When Yugoslavia was collapsing into civil war in the early 1990s, early efforts at multilateral diplomacy delayed firm action and led to a higher body count.

Some military interventions, as in Sierra Leone, Bosnia and Kosovo, have worked well. Others, such as Iraq in 2003, worked very badly. Still others, such as Libya, had mixed results. Afghanistan and Somalia were promising at first but then evolved badly.

So, having said that analogies aren’t necessarily helpful, let me leave you with a final provocation.

If we were fighting against an incomparably harsher dictator using chemical weapons on our own neighborhoods, and dropping napalm-like substances on our children’s schools, would we regard other countries as “pro-peace” if they sat on the fence as our dead piled up?

I invite you to comment on this column on my blog, On the Ground. Please also join me on Facebook and Google+, watch my YouTube videos and follow me on Twitter.

Reproduction Joseph Eid/Agence France-Presse — Getty Images
A Facebook page entitled “Hama” shows portraits of people allegedly killed during the 1982 massacre in Hama, Syria.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/08/opinion/sunday/kristof-pulling-the-curtain-back-on-syria.html?ref=iraq

Ponee
Ponee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Opinion Piece - Pulling the Curtain Back on Syria - New York Times Empty Re: Opinion Piece - Pulling the Curtain Back on Syria - New York Times

Post by DinarPhoenix Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:46 am

Overall I found this to be an extemely well written article that appealed to my sense of logic and fairness. However, one of the core beliefs is that Assad used chemical weapons on his own people. Some would say that the untrained rebels gassed themselves out of ignorance of how the chemical weapons work. If this contrarian view is deemed true then an attack against Assad is not warranted. The US goverment says it has proof that the attack was launched by Syria / Assad, but since no actual proof is forthcomming I guess we will just have to take their word for it. Trust Me they say.

However, I do know this. If I was trying to win a war I would target rebles, and not children incpable of fighting. I would utilize guns, tanks and artilary, not chemical weapons that would cause the UN and others to take sides with my oponent . It seems very implausable that Assad would use chemical weapons to kill just 250 civillians who were mostly children. He may be brutal but he is no idiot.

In the words of Sarah Palin “Let Allah sort it out.”
DinarPhoenix
DinarPhoenix
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum