Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Phony Tony sez: Full Steam Ahead!
Euro Takes a Hit as Reserve Currency I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:51 am by Mission1st

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
Euro Takes a Hit as Reserve Currency I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:45 am by Mission1st

» Russia aren't taking any prisoners
Euro Takes a Hit as Reserve Currency I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2024 6:48 pm by kenlej

» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
Euro Takes a Hit as Reserve Currency I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» ZIGPLACE
Euro Takes a Hit as Reserve Currency I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
Euro Takes a Hit as Reserve Currency I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
Euro Takes a Hit as Reserve Currency I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
Euro Takes a Hit as Reserve Currency I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
Euro Takes a Hit as Reserve Currency I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
Euro Takes a Hit as Reserve Currency I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
Euro Takes a Hit as Reserve Currency I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
Euro Takes a Hit as Reserve Currency I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
Euro Takes a Hit as Reserve Currency I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
Euro Takes a Hit as Reserve Currency I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
Euro Takes a Hit as Reserve Currency I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

» The second American Revolution has begun, God Bless Texas
Euro Takes a Hit as Reserve Currency I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 6:13 pm by kenlej

» The Global Currency Reset Evolution Event Will Begin With Gold, Zimbabwe ZWR Old Bank Notes
Euro Takes a Hit as Reserve Currency I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 28, 2024 3:28 pm by Mission1st

» Tucker talking Canada
Euro Takes a Hit as Reserve Currency I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2024 6:50 pm by kenlej

» Almost to the end The goodguys are winning
Euro Takes a Hit as Reserve Currency I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 9:03 pm by kenlej

» Dinar Daily Facebook Page
Euro Takes a Hit as Reserve Currency I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 3:34 pm by Ponee

Euro Takes a Hit as Reserve Currency

Go down

Euro Takes a Hit as Reserve Currency Empty Euro Takes a Hit as Reserve Currency

Post by Kevind53 Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:39 pm

Published July 02, 2013

| Reuters

Countries around the world cut back on their holdings of euros as a percentage of foreign exchange reserves last year as the sovereign debt crisis kept investors wary, the European Central Bank said on Tuesday.

International Monetary Fund data shows the decrease continued in the first quarter of this year, although the euro remains the world's second-most important reserve currency after the dollar.

In its annual review on the international role of the euro, the ECB, the 17-country bloc's central bank, said the currency's share of global central bank foreign exchange reserves declined by 1.2 percentage points, to 23.9 percent.

This made 2012 the third year in a row the euro has declined in popularity as a reserve currency, putting its share at the lowest level since 2000.

The share of the euro fell also in international debt markets, to 25.5 percent in 2012 from 26.2 percent a year earlier, again due to tensions about the stability of euro zone sovereign debt.

"In 2012, the euro area sovereign debt crisis continued to weigh on the international use of the euro," ECB President Mario Draghi said in the foreword of the report.

"The persistent fragmentation of the euro area financial system is one of the main underlying causes of these developments, as it affects the depth and liquidity of euro area capital markets."

The report added, however, that some indicators pointed to improvement in the second half of last year after the ECB announced its yet-to-be-activated bond-buying programme, known as Outright Monetary Transactions (OMT).

It cited a survey of 60 central banks conducted early this year, in which 89 percent of respondents indicated that this announcement had alleviated their concerns about the euro.

The ECB was not worried about the drop, saying "the euro continued in 2012 to perform its function as the second-most important reserve currency in the world."

There was also not much change in the popularity of the euro on foreign exchange trading.

"The use of the euro as a vehicle currency in global foreign exchange markets remained by and large the same as last year," ECB Executive Board member Joerg Asmussen told reporters.

OTHERS SQUEEZE IN

Turning to such non-traditional reserve currencies as the Australian and Canadian dollars, the ECB said their use is on the rise due to less willingness to take risk, but added that this might reverse.

"A lack of large, deep and liquid financial markets limits the potential of non-traditional currencies to become truly major reserve units, however," the report said. "In addition, their growing use might be dampened if market conditions normalise."

Chinese renminbi also lacks in domestic capital market depth, and combined with financial restrictions, capital controls and limited exchange rate flexibility hamper its use as an international currency, in particular a reserve currency.

However, the Chinese currency could gain in importance, if reforms continue, the euro zone's monetary guardian said.

"There is potential for the renminbi to play a still more prominent international role in the medium term, provided that the Chinese authorities continue to gradually introduce financial sector reforms, liberalise China's capital account and strengthen exchange rate flexibility," the ECB said.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/2013/07/02/euro-takes-hit-as-reserve-currency/

Trust but Verify --- R Reagan Suspect

"Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you."1 Thessalonians 5:14–18

Euro Takes a Hit as Reserve Currency 2805820865  Euro Takes a Hit as Reserve Currency 2805820865  Euro Takes a Hit as Reserve Currency 2805820865  Euro Takes a Hit as Reserve Currency 2805820865
Kevind53
Kevind53
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum