Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» The Rockefellers and the controllers are freaking out right about now
LESSONS FROM A MULTI-MILLIONAIRE I_icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:16 am by kenlej

» Phony Tony sez: Full Steam Ahead!
LESSONS FROM A MULTI-MILLIONAIRE I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:51 am by Mission1st

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
LESSONS FROM A MULTI-MILLIONAIRE I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:45 am by Mission1st

» Russia aren't taking any prisoners
LESSONS FROM A MULTI-MILLIONAIRE I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2024 6:48 pm by kenlej

» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
LESSONS FROM A MULTI-MILLIONAIRE I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» ZIGPLACE
LESSONS FROM A MULTI-MILLIONAIRE I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
LESSONS FROM A MULTI-MILLIONAIRE I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
LESSONS FROM A MULTI-MILLIONAIRE I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
LESSONS FROM A MULTI-MILLIONAIRE I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
LESSONS FROM A MULTI-MILLIONAIRE I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
LESSONS FROM A MULTI-MILLIONAIRE I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
LESSONS FROM A MULTI-MILLIONAIRE I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
LESSONS FROM A MULTI-MILLIONAIRE I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
LESSONS FROM A MULTI-MILLIONAIRE I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
LESSONS FROM A MULTI-MILLIONAIRE I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
LESSONS FROM A MULTI-MILLIONAIRE I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

» The second American Revolution has begun, God Bless Texas
LESSONS FROM A MULTI-MILLIONAIRE I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 6:13 pm by kenlej

» The Global Currency Reset Evolution Event Will Begin With Gold, Zimbabwe ZWR Old Bank Notes
LESSONS FROM A MULTI-MILLIONAIRE I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 28, 2024 3:28 pm by Mission1st

» Tucker talking Canada
LESSONS FROM A MULTI-MILLIONAIRE I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2024 6:50 pm by kenlej

» Almost to the end The goodguys are winning
LESSONS FROM A MULTI-MILLIONAIRE I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 9:03 pm by kenlej

LESSONS FROM A MULTI-MILLIONAIRE

4 posters

Go down

LESSONS FROM A MULTI-MILLIONAIRE Empty LESSONS FROM A MULTI-MILLIONAIRE

Post by UNEEK Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:59 pm

LESSONS FROM A MULTI-MILLIONAIRE Avatar_20839LESSONS FROM A MULTI-MILLIONAIRE Avatar_20839 LESSONS FROM A MULTI-MILLIONAIRE Avatar_20839 LESSONS FROM A MULTI-MILLIONAIRE Avatar_20839 LESSONS FROM A MULTI-MILLIONAIRE Avatar_20839

Lessons From A Multi-Millionaire!!!

If there's one thing Bill Marvel knows after 40 years of flying light aircraft, it is this: Never leave the controls of your plane to someone else.

"You don't start fiddling with radios or fuel systems and forget to fly the airplane," he said. "You might crash while you are trying to solve some other problem."

Mr. Marvel, 66 years old, is a careful and methodical man who has flown single-engine aircraft across the Pacific and Atlantic oceans. Yet in 2004, he handed over control of his real estate investments to DBSI Inc., a Meridian, Idaho, company that went down with the market in 2008.

"DBSI essentially operated like a Ponzi scheme...almost entirely dependent on funds from new investors to pay old investors," according to an indictment from a federal grand jury in Boise, Idaho, last week.

Eighty-three counts allege everything from bank fraud, securities fraud, wire fraud and mail fraud to the transportation of stolen property across state lines. Prosecutors say DBSI executives touted a profitable enterprise worth $105 million, while they lost $3 million a month.

Money DBSI collected from real estate investors such as Mr. Marvel often was siphoned off to fund risky technology startups, prosecutors allege.

Former Chief Operating Officer Gary Bringhurst has agreed to plead guilty to one count of conspiracy to commit securities fraud.

Lawyers for co-founder and President Douglas L. Swenson, 64, and co-founder and general counsel Mark Ellison, 64, have said their clients are not guilty, that everything their clients did was disclosed to investors, and that DBSI's spiral into bankruptcy was due to market conditions.

Mr. Swenson's sons Jeremy S. Swenson, 40, and David D. Swenson, 35, also were named in the indictment.

The indictment seeks to recover $169 million in assets that would be returned to thousands of investors like Mr. Marvel--a thin hope after DBSI's 2008 bankruptcy filing.

You know how some people say it doesn't take a rocket scientist to invest in real estate? Well, Mr. Marvel actually is a rocket scientist. He studied astronautics at the U.S. Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs, Colo.

He then went on to Purdue University for a master's degree. Then he became a spacecraft systems engineer, working on spy satellites in the Air Force.

After Mr. Marvel left the military, he moved to Southern California and started buying up apartment buildings, an entrepreneurial career he enjoyed for 30 years while he pursued his hobbies of building and flying small planes.

As long as he kept his hands on the stick, his real estate investments went fine. He took his hands off the stick in 2004 when he learned about an amazing opportunity offered by DBSI.

DBSI bought commercial buildings and sold them to groups of investors it organized. An attractive part of the pitch was that DBSI offered tax-free exchanges, what are known as 1031 Exchanges under the tax code.

Mr. Marvel learned he could sell all of his California apartment buildings and then reinvest the proceeds in DBSI deals without paying taxes on his gains.

The deal allowed Mr. Marvel to quickly diversify his portfolio from a few apartment buildings in one state to 15 office and retail properties in nine states. This alleviated his worries about a softening real estate market in California. Plus, he was no longer a hands-on manager as he approached retirement years.

DBSI would operate the properties. All he had to do was sit back and collect monthly checks.

Mr. Marvel said he did exhaustive research on DBSI before taking this leap. He was comforted to learn the company was founded in 1979 and that its executives didn't have rap sheets.

He said he received $3.5 million from the sale of his California apartment buildings and then used the money to purchase fractional interests in shopping centers and office buildings from Georgia to New Mexico through DBSI.

For about three years, DBSI delivered the monthly payments as promised.

Nevertheless, Mr. Marvel said he became suspicious in 2005 when he discovered all of the buildings in which he had invested were badly managed and losing money.

He organized an online discussion group with more than 400 other DBSI investors who were having similar experiences. Then he confronted some of the DBSI executives who are now criminal defendants.

He said the DBSI guys warned him he shouldn't be organizing investors and sharing private information. They also told him that while his buildings were indeed losing money, other DBSI properties were doing well, which was why he was still getting paid. So what was the problem?

He was making a reasonable return on his money. And he continued getting paid...up until the day DBSI went bellyup.

Mr. Marvel now lives in Grand Junction, Colo. He takes 4-wheeler tours of the nearby mountains instead of fancier trips to Europe and Australia. He says he'll be lucky to recoup $500,000 of his $3.5 million investment.

Letting someone else take the stick is his biggest regret. He would never do that in a plane.

"There's no way any third party is going to take care of your money like you're going to take care of it," he said. "As obvious as that is, thousands of us made this mistake."

(Al's Emporium, written by Dow Jones Newswires columnist Al Lewis, offers commentary and analysis on a wide range of business subjects through an unconventional perspective. )

The column is published each Tuesday and Thursday at 9 a.m. ET.

Contact Al at al.lewis@dowjones.com or tellittoal.com

Greatness lies, not in being strong, but in the right using of strength; and strength is not used rightly when it serves only to carry a man above his fellows for his own solitary glory. He is the greatest whose strength carries up the most hearts by the attraction of his own -- Bryant

“When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself.” ― Wayne W. Dyer

To be persuasive, one must be believable;
To be believable, one must be credible;
To be credible, one must be truthful.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
UNEEK
UNEEK
VIP FEATURED MEMBER
VIP FEATURED MEMBER

http://souljourney.lefora.com/

Back to top Go down

LESSONS FROM A MULTI-MILLIONAIRE Empty Re: LESSONS FROM A MULTI-MILLIONAIRE

Post by Horizon Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:10 pm

Thanks Uneek! So many we think we can trust, but really can't!
I will stay involved with whatever I do with my investments!
LESSONS FROM A MULTI-MILLIONAIRE 2805820865

LESSONS FROM A MULTI-MILLIONAIRE Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQbUTUwRpDbhT-xIofJl3G31OXoGzOAJS3qKlCApR1lrvZghQYKngbnt9AnaQMakin' Plans...LESSONS FROM A MULTI-MILLIONAIRE 7_6_8

Praise God for all things, and he will give us the desires of our hearts!
Horizon
Horizon
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by petra161 Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:52 pm

A Good lesson for all of us. Thanks for the post.

petra161

Back to top Go down

Post by UNEEK Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:11 pm

Glad the post was helpful -- I personally think gentle reminders are warranted with such a risk involved -- honestly --- we really want to be as knowledgeable as the financial advisers just so we will know if they are looking out for our best interest or their own -

Greatness lies, not in being strong, but in the right using of strength; and strength is not used rightly when it serves only to carry a man above his fellows for his own solitary glory. He is the greatest whose strength carries up the most hearts by the attraction of his own -- Bryant

“When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself.” ― Wayne W. Dyer

To be persuasive, one must be believable;
To be believable, one must be credible;
To be credible, one must be truthful.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
UNEEK
UNEEK
VIP FEATURED MEMBER
VIP FEATURED MEMBER

http://souljourney.lefora.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by RELIX Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:42 pm

The lesson here is a very good one. There are some very simple and easy to understand ways to protect yourself from the tax man when it comes time to cash in.

The attorneys hate the ONE TRUST that is most versatile, easy to set up, easy to understand, easy to operate and very inexpensive. The attorneys hate this Trust because it cuts them out of the loop. Understandably, they want to keep you attached at the hip and in the dark so you will have to pay them to handle your Trust. With a little due diligence, a little study, and someone who is willing to teach you the benefits of this unique Trust, you can handle the initial thrust of the RV with confidence and know it is totally legal and IRS approved though the atorneys will try to scare you away from it. BTW...there are 3 million of these trusts in force right now in the USA.

Know it, do it...by YOURSELF!

A man who wants revolution without blood wants crops without plowing
RELIX
RELIX
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post by RELIX Sun May 05, 2013 8:11 pm

http://vz.iminent.com/vz/be229ab4-a175-4302-a523-b8e04eef5cd9/1/lets-have-a-beer.gif

A man who wants revolution without blood wants crops without plowing
RELIX
RELIX
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum