Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Textbook Tony
More Bad guys caught. This applies to us I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2024 4:13 pm by Mission1st

» The Rockefellers and the controllers are freaking out right about now
More Bad guys caught. This applies to us I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2024 11:16 am by kenlej

» Phony Tony sez: Full Steam Ahead!
More Bad guys caught. This applies to us I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:51 am by Mission1st

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
More Bad guys caught. This applies to us I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:45 am by Mission1st

» Russia aren't taking any prisoners
More Bad guys caught. This applies to us I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2024 6:48 pm by kenlej

» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
More Bad guys caught. This applies to us I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» ZIGPLACE
More Bad guys caught. This applies to us I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
More Bad guys caught. This applies to us I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
More Bad guys caught. This applies to us I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
More Bad guys caught. This applies to us I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
More Bad guys caught. This applies to us I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
More Bad guys caught. This applies to us I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
More Bad guys caught. This applies to us I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
More Bad guys caught. This applies to us I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
More Bad guys caught. This applies to us I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
More Bad guys caught. This applies to us I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
More Bad guys caught. This applies to us I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

» The second American Revolution has begun, God Bless Texas
More Bad guys caught. This applies to us I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 6:13 pm by kenlej

» The Global Currency Reset Evolution Event Will Begin With Gold, Zimbabwe ZWR Old Bank Notes
More Bad guys caught. This applies to us I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 28, 2024 3:28 pm by Mission1st

» Tucker talking Canada
More Bad guys caught. This applies to us I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2024 6:50 pm by kenlej

More Bad guys caught. This applies to us

+7
Catherine
Terbo56
Peppermint Patti
jabberwockey
SEBtopdog
Cabo
11 posters

Go down

More Bad guys caught. This applies to us Empty More Bad guys caught. This applies to us

Post by Cabo Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:12 pm

Guy,

I know this is a long artical but a good read. This will apply to you. This is one reason why I and others have stated to use two computers once this blessing hits..

This also ties into "Big Conference Call" too

Enjoy and beware...

http://rockcenter.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/03/21/10792287-college-students-crack-70-million-cybercrime-ring

Rock Center

It was a crime of staggering sophistication by computer hackers who figured out a new way to get rich.

In a case that became known as Trident Breach, the hackers stole $70 million from the payroll accounts of some 400 American companies and organizations – all from the safety of their homes in Eastern Europe.

“I think it’s the perfect definition of organized crime,” said FBI Executive Assistant Director Shawn Henry. “It’s very well organized. It’s very well-structured. It requires many people operating in unison, in a collaborative way.”

At the beginning of 2008, the group of hackers compromised hundreds of thousands of Americans computers using a malicious computer “Trojan” bug called ZeuS. When computer users clicked on certain attachments and e-mail links, ZeuS infected their computers.

ZeuS is designed to zero in on users’ bank information. For example, when a user visits a bank website, ZeuS knows; and since it is a key logger program, it records the user's keystrokes as he or she enters usernames and passwords. It then sends that information by instant text message to waiting hackers, who then have access to the compromised accounts.

Henry is one of the country’s top cybercrime fighters. He says Americans are increasingly prone to “virtual gangs” prying on people’s personal data stored on their computers.

“We have organized groups that have developed internationally where groups of people have come together, each with a very specific capability and skill, who have never met each other in the physical world, but they meet online in a collaborative way,” he said.

Henry says that the security breaches have the potential to be more than just criminal acts. They could pose a national security risk.

“There are foreign intelligence services that are aggressively pursuing American technology. They’re aggressively pursuing American strategy. They’re looking at the American military, the American consumer, the American corporations, research and development organizations, laboratories, educational facilities,” Henry said. “The amount and value of data that is on the network is at an unprecedented level. Our adversaries know that that data is there. It’s information and information is valuable."

Money Mules Help Hackers Get $70 Million

In the Trident Breach case, the hackers were able to get their hands on the cash by turning people into money mules.

Beginning in late 2008, they created some 3000 money mules, many of them unwitting Americans, by luring them into work-at-home jobs requiring "employees" to open bank accounts.

“The first money mule activity we started seeing was people who would receive an email saying, ‘You can get a work-at-home job’ and the work-at-home job would be something like transaction manager for an international company,” said Prof. Gary Warner of the University of Alabama at Birmingham, who teaches a program that combines computer forensics and justice studies.

Warner is also a member of the little-known FBI-affiliated group called InfraGard, comprising some 50,000 members across the United States who keep an eagle eye on U.S . critical infrastructure: power plants, water supply, security and financial services…and the internet. Warner said the hackers transferred cash from business payroll-type "ACH" (Automated Clearing House) accounts to the mule accounts and the mules sent the cash by Western Union or MoneyGram to Eastern Europe, taking eight or 10 percent commission.

Warner said that when the banks started to get wise to the hackers’ work-at-home schemes, and set up roadblocks, the hackers then recruited dozens of students, mainly from southern Russia, to be a new breed of money mule.

“It’s still a little gray whether the students who were recruited knew that they were being recruited for crime,” Warner said.

The hackers obtained fake passports for the students, U.S. J1 work/study visas, and packed their new mules off to the United States. The students opened multiple bank accounts, mainly in the New York area, where they received stolen cash. Then, just as the mules before them had, they wired the cash back to their bosses.

Professor and Students Crack Cybercrime Case

So stealthy was their ZeuS operation, neither the hackers nor the mules had counted on getting caught. But, using complex data mining techniques, Prof. Warner established links between ZeuS-infected computers and traced the origins of the mass infection to Ukraine; and many of the hackers and their mules were caught.

But 18 mules remained at large in the United States. And after the FBI published a wanted poster of the students, Warner’s students began using what they’d learned in class to track the criminals.

“So the students used the techniques we had taught them during investigating online crime [class] and began crawling Facebook pages and VKontakte, which is a Russian version similar to Facebook and were able to quickly identify profile pages of almost all of them, at-large mules,” Warner said.

Warner’s students discovered one of the students-turned-mules had brazenly posted pictures of herself with a wad of hundred-dollar bills. Another had posted a picture of himself dressed in an “I ❤ New York” top, arms aloft, celebrating in a bar with his friends – some of whom turned out to be other money mules. And another was pictured standing next to the new car he has presumably just bought.

Though all the mules – except one – were arrested, that does not necessarily mean the end of the money mules, says Gary Warner.

“ZeuS infections are rampant still today. There are probably millions of computers in the United States that have active Zeus on their machines right now,” Warner said.

Cabo
Cabo
Cabo

Back to top Go down

More Bad guys caught. This applies to us Empty Re: More Bad guys caught. This applies to us

Post by SEBtopdog Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:26 pm

Holey moley, Cabo!!!!!!!!!! affraid So what Okie and the folks were saying on the call last night about hackers planning to empty out bank accounts post-RV was not far-fetched at all. These bad guys don't need masks, guns, explosives, get-away cars or any of that stuff we naive peeps think of when we're imagining somebody trying to steal our $$$$$$$$$$. Suspect Suspect Suspect It is a new and dangerous world out there, especially for people who just want to put their money in the bank and use it for good. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

You're an More Bad guys caught. This applies to us 3151798102

More Bad guys caught. This applies to us Emoticon-animal-028

Keep smiling ... It'll make 'em wonder what you're up to!

More Bad guys caught. This applies to us Bump~0 Will someone please let the RV Widget out of the jar?
SEBtopdog
SEBtopdog
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

More Bad guys caught. This applies to us Empty Re: More Bad guys caught. This applies to us

Post by jabberwockey Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:34 pm

SEBtopdog wrote:So what Okie and the folks were saying on the call last night about hackers planning to empty out bank accounts post-RV was not far-fetched at all. These bad guys don't need masks, guns, explosives, get-away cars or any of that stuff we naive peeps think of when we're imagining somebody trying to steal our $$$$$$$$$$. Suspect Suspect Suspect It is a new and dangerous world out there, especially for people who just want to put their money in the bank and use it for good. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Uhmmm ... I don't think it took a rocket scientist, nor a "guru", to figure out that hackers plan to empty out bank accounts. They don't care if it's post- or pre- anything. All they care about is that there is money in the bank and the victims are a bit trustworthy of their shady practices.

jabberwockey
jabberwockey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:34 pm

WOW :shock: :shock: :shock: WOW!

It seems Okie was right. This kind of stuff is scary...

Back to top Go down

Post by Peppermint Patti Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:36 pm

Great article but it would have been really nice if Warner would have told us how to look for Zeus and if found how to take it off our computer. Especially now that so many people Bank on line, etc...

I think Dinarians really do need two computers - one just for the after life and one that we have been using with our old life.

We are getting ready to put another one in service for me.

Also, having a roving IP address (a new IP everytime you go from one site to another is in order. We are really going to have to be on top of things. One "little" problem can become a real big one if you have a lot of money at stake.

We all need one of those Life Lock type companies is also how I see it. It's so much easier to cut them off at the pass than to have to deal with these types of issues after the fact... Pay Life Lock to do the work and spare ourselves the aggitation...

Peppermint Patti, awaiting the situation where she needs to protect "it" !

"Only one life will soon be passed, only what's done for Christ will last..."
Peppermint Patti
Peppermint Patti
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by jabberwockey Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:37 pm

punisher wrote:WOW :shock: :shock: :shock: WOW!

Seriously ... if Okie said the sky was blue, would you credit that knowledge to him as well?
Hackers emptying out bank accounts are nothing new. I help fight cybercrime. I can assure you there are no revelations in making such a statement. It's been ongoing for some 20+ years.

jabberwockey
jabberwockey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:40 pm

jabberwockey wrote:

Seriously ... if Okie said the sky was blue, would you credit that knowledge to him as well?
Hackers emptying out bank accounts are nothing new. I help fight cybercrime. I can assure you there are no revelations in making such a statement. It's been ongoing for some 20+ years.

Yes, if Okie told me the sky was blue I WOULD CERTAINLY believe him because it is lmao

Back to top Go down

Post by SEBtopdog Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:41 pm

jabberwockey wrote:
SEBtopdog wrote:So what Okie and the folks were saying on the call last night about hackers planning to empty out bank accounts post-RV was not far-fetched at all. These bad guys don't need masks, guns, explosives, get-away cars or any of that stuff we naive peeps think of when we're imagining somebody trying to steal our $$$$$$$$$$. Suspect Suspect Suspect It is a new and dangerous world out there, especially for people who just want to put their money in the bank and use it for good. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Uhmmm ... I don't think it took a rocket scientist, nor a "guru", to figure out that hackers plan to empty out bank accounts. They don't care if it's post- or pre- anything. All they care about is that there is money in the bank and the victims are a bit trustworthy of their shady practices.

You're right, of course, jabberwocky. But for those of us who've never been "bad guys" or wealthy, we have to be taught to think how to outsmart evildoers. We'd do well to consult with reputable security advisors. I suppose the newly rich will have to suspect everyone. Suspect Suspect Suspect It's difficult to change a trusting nature to a suspicious one. :shock: ...unless one gets burned big time!

More Bad guys caught. This applies to us Bump~0 Will someone please let the RV Widget out of the jar?
SEBtopdog
SEBtopdog
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Terbo56 Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:41 pm

Well, then, maybe you should check YOUR bank accounts, just to make sure-Smile
Terbo56
Terbo56
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Catherine Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:41 pm

:shock: :cyclops: :shock: :cyclops: :shock:

COME ON...
RV ALREADY!

More Bad guys caught. This applies to us Smiley-happy093More Bad guys caught. This applies to us 7_11_117More Bad guys caught. This applies to us Smiley-happy093
Catherine
Catherine
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post by jabberwockey Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:42 pm

punisher wrote:
jabberwockey wrote:

Yes, if Okie told me the sky was blue I WOULD CERTAINLY believe him because it is lmao

Your changed the question.
I didn't ask if you'd believe him ... just if you'd credit that revelation to him.

jabberwockey
jabberwockey

Back to top Go down

Post by SEBtopdog Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:43 pm

terbo56 wrote:Well, then, maybe you should check YOUR bank accounts, just to make sure-Smile

More Bad guys caught. This applies to us 3973136183 lol! More Bad guys caught. This applies to us 3973136183

SEBtopdog
SEBtopdog
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:47 pm

jabberwockey wrote:
punisher wrote:
jabberwockey wrote:

Your changed the question.
I didn't ask if you'd believe him ... just if you'd credit that revelation to him.

I give credit where credit is due...TOM CRUISE is the one who deserves credit for that revelation lmao

Back to top Go down

Post by jabberwockey Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:47 pm

SEBtopdog wrote:
jabberwockey wrote:

You're right, of course, jabberwocky. But for those of us who've never been "bad guys" or wealthy, we have to be taught to think how to outsmart evildoers. We'd do well to consult with reputable security advisors. I suppose the newly rich will have to suspect everyone. Suspect Suspect Suspect It's difficult to change a trusting nature to a suspicious one. :shock: ...unless one gets burned big time!

I fully agree with you. The internet is just another world full of bad guys just like the real world is. NEVER EVER EVER click on anything you are unsure of. Be certain you have up to date and GOOD Antivirus, Antimalware, Antiphishing software on your computer. Do NOT run more than 2 antivirus programs or they can interfere with each other (I recommend that people run AVAST ... FREE version is good ... and turn OFF Microsoft's Defender program). I also advocate downloading and running Malwarebytes AntiMalware software. I am NOT affilitated with either of them in any way, but I've been running them for years on all my personal machines and they do a great job.

Lastly, and most important, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. If someone offers you an online job with 10 hours a week of work for $40K or more per year ... do you really think someone is going to offer such a thing? Think before you click. If unsure, ask someone. Better safe than sorry. Any ANY good deal never needs to be decided at the spur of a moment. If it cannot wait a day while you are researching it, it's probably a scam.

FWIW
jabberwockey
jabberwockey

Back to top Go down

Post by SEBtopdog Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:51 pm

Thanks, jabberwocky!

SEBtopdog
SEBtopdog
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Cabo Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:51 pm

You know the thing I was thinking of when I posted was, just think how much more money these crooks could have gotten once we got our blessing. WOW..

Cabo
Cabo
Cabo

Back to top Go down

Post by SEBtopdog Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:53 pm

Cabo wrote:You know the thing I was thinking of when I posted was, just think how much more money these crooks could have gotten once we got our blessing. WOW..

:shock: affraid :shock: affraid :shock: Kind of takes your breath away. What a heist that would be! :shock: affraid :shock: affraid :shock:

SEBtopdog
SEBtopdog
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by jabberwockey Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:53 pm

Cabo wrote:You know the thing I was thinking of when I posted was, just think how much more money these crooks could have gotten once we got our blessing. WOW..

And if it works out that just one person does not get preyed upon after the RV because they read this, then it's well worth the discussion :-)

God works in mysterious ways.

jabberwockey
jabberwockey

Back to top Go down

Post by 8887 Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:54 pm

Great thread...Very helpful information....Many of us will have to start thinking differently about our new found wealth...

Thanks for the heads up
Blessings, 8887[b]

Back to top Go down

Post by SEBtopdog Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:00 pm

8887 wrote:Great thread...Very helpful information....Many of us will have to start thinking differently about our new found wealth...

Thanks for the heads up
Blessings, 8887

[b]Glad you joined in the conversation, 8887. Welcome! I hope we'll be hearing from you as often as you'd like!

SEBtopdog
SEBtopdog
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by az-tex Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:39 pm

Another alternative...

Use Linux as your OS... For most folks, they can do 99% of all the things they have done using Windows, and it is a FREE operating system that is secure, and depending on which one, updates regularly...

From www.distrowatch.com :

Rank Distribution H.P.D* 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Mint 4012More Bad guys caught. This applies to us Aup
Ubuntu 2148More Bad guys caught. This applies to us Aup
Fedora 1774More Bad guys caught. This applies to us Aup
openSUSE 1573More Bad guys caught. This applies to us Aup
Debian 1426More Bad guys caught. This applies to us Aup
Arch 1220More Bad guys caught. This applies to us Alevel
CentOS 1055More Bad guys caught. This applies to us Alevel
Mageia 1017More Bad guys caught. This applies to us Aup
Puppy 932More Bad guys caught. This applies to us Aup
PCLinuxOS 826More Bad guys caught. This applies to us Alevel

I highly recommend Linux Mint for folks that want something easy to install and use. The beauty of Linux is that there are no virus's or any of that crap to worry about and there are literally 1,000's of software programs (open source) that are absolutely free... You can even set up a dual boot if you want or need to keep Windows.

try it... you'll like it Wink 8) :cheers:

http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=mint

In God's timing, not a second sooner...
az-tex
az-tex
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by jabberwockey Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:47 pm

az-tex wrote:

I highly recommend Linux Mint for folks that want something easy to install and use. The beauty of Linux is that there are no virus's or any of that crap to worry about and there are literally 1,000's of software programs (open source) that are absolutely free... You can even set up a dual boot if you want or need to keep Windows.

I'm not familar with Linux Mint yet, but you're claiming no viruses? If that's the case, why is there anti-virus software for it?
jabberwockey
jabberwockey

Back to top Go down

Post by jabberwockey Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:54 pm

jabberwockey wrote:
az-tex wrote:

I'm not familar with Linux Mint yet, but you're claiming no viruses? If that's the case, why is there anti-virus software for it?

I just did some quick research on Linux Mint. Mint is the 'flavor', but it's still Linux. I will agree with you that there are far fewer viruses written for Linux, but they are out there and I'd hate to be the one with that "Rare" occurance when it means potentially a lot of money. What is scarier about linux is that it's the OS of choice for most hackers and we see people hacking into other people's linux boxes all the time. Once in, you can install anything you want if you know what you're doing and be pretty much undetected. Yes, that can also happen in Windows, but it's much more prevalent in Linux.

I'm not trying to start an OS war ... Linux is a great OS but has its place and I honestly don't feel it's for non-techie people to use. Windows is NOT my first love, but it's an OK system for people to use who are not computer "nerds". Mac OS is the easiest and arguably operates the finest (Windows is a knock-off of MacOS anyways), but it's a bit pricey for many people.

jabberwockey
jabberwockey

Back to top Go down

Post by az-tex Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:57 pm

jabberwockey wrote:
az-tex wrote:

Because Windows folks expect anti virus software... plus it eradicates virus's that come via email, even though the virus won't harm Linux, if passed on via email to a Windows user, the Windows user could become infected.

I have used Linux (various versions) since 1991 or so, and have NEVER had a virus, malware, spyware, or any other such nonsense...

Like I said... try it, you'll like it... 8) :cheers:

az-tex
az-tex
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by az-tex Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:00 pm

Me thinks your facts are wrong...

It is EXTREMELY difficult to hack into a properly configured Linux box. Mint has all the "bells and whistles" that Windows users want from the get go... I use a couple of different versions... Fedora, Debian and Ubuntu...

Your mileage may vary...

az-tex
az-tex
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by rick152 Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:01 pm

Peppermint Patti wrote:Great article but it would have been really nice if Warner would have told us how to look for Zeus and if found how to take it off our computer. Especially now that so many people Bank on line, etc...

I think Dinarians really do need two computers - one just for the after life and one that we have been using with our old life.

We are getting ready to put another one in service for me.

Also, having a roving IP address (a new IP everytime you go from one site to another is in order. We are really going to have to be on top of things. One "little" problem can become a real big one if you have a lot of money at stake.

We all need one of those Life Lock type companies is also how I see it. It's so much easier to cut them off at the pass than to have to deal with these types of issues after the fact... Pay Life Lock to do the work and spare ourselves the aggitation...

Peppermint Patti, awaiting the situation where she needs to protect "it" !

"Only one life will soon be passed, only what's done for Christ will last..."

Peppermint Patti I can tell you how to get Zeus off your computer...Post RV Take the hard drive out and do not throw it away Then replace harddrive and start over. Download (to disks) what you want from the old first. ...rick152

Maybe a computer expert can say if this is enough or not??!!
rick152
rick152
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by az-tex Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:07 pm

Some info on Zeus_ :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeus_%28Trojan_horse%29

Proliferation

The Zeus Trojan-controlled machines are in 196 countries. The five
countries with the most significant instances of infected machines are Egypt, the United States, Mexico, Saudi Arabia, and Turkey. Altogether, 2,411 companies and organizations are said to have been affected by the criminal operations running the botnet.[14]

[edit] Targeted OS

The Zeus botnet targets only Microsoft Windows machines. The botnet does not work on Mac OS X, Linux, or any other operating system.

[edit] Targeted information

Every criminal can control which information he's interested in and
fine tune his copy of Zeus to only steal those. Examples include login
credentials for online social networks, e-mail accounts, online banking or other online financial services. The top sites with stolen login credentials, according to Netwitness' report are Facebook, Yahoo, Hi5, Metroflog, Sonico and Netlog.

[edit] Availability

Zeus is readily available to buy in underground forums for as little as 700 USD (if sold from a reseller) and up to 15,000 USD for the newest version with all available features.[15]
The package contains a builder that can generate a bot executable, web
server files (PHP, images, SQL templates) for use as the command and
control server. While Zbot is a generic back door that allows full
control by an unauthorized remote user, the primary function of Zbot is
financial gain - stealing online credentials such as FTP, email, online
banking, and other online passwords. The latest public version that is
available is 2.0.8.9.[15][16]

Since May 2011 the source code of Zeus has been leaked.[17]

Also the current version of the Zeus botnet uses classical copy
protection mechanisms to prevent the use of unlicensed pirate copies.
Security firm SecureWorks has discovered that the Zeus server only works
with a system specific key. Similar to the Windows OS, the malware
creates a kind of fingerprint of the respective hardware configuration
when first started. The vendor then provides the user with a
personalised licence key for this configuration.[18]

[edit] Removal and detection

Zeus is very difficult to detect even with up-to-date antivirus software due to being Stealthy. This is the primary reason why its malware family is considered the largest botnet on the internet: Some 3.6 million PCs
are said to be infected in the U.S. alone. Security experts are
advising that businesses continue to offer training to users to prevent
them from clicking hostile or suspicious links in emails or on the web
while also keeping up with antivirus updates. Symantec claims its Symantec Browser Protection can prevent "some infection attempts"[9] but it remains unclear if modern antivirus software is effective at preventing all of its variants from taking root.

az-tex
az-tex
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Cabo Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:57 pm

jabberwockey
You are correct if this can save help at least one, although I am trying to help the many...

I know many things we have all discussed over the past few months may seem a little over board, but there are reasons...

Just think of this one...Most savings / checkings accounts are guaranteed to 250k, just think if you had a million in them....Yes eventually you will get your 250k back..after much paperwork and many weeks..but the rest if poof...gone..

Hopefully this will draw some attention and many will understand we are getting ready to step into a "new realm"...Take it seriously...be a good steward..There is a lot if info put out on these sites..We just have to take the time and do our due dilligence. Ask questions, and verify..

Cabo
Cabo
Cabo

Back to top Go down

Post by Cabo Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:08 pm

az-tex

Great information...I just got back on and was going to due a similar post...

I am really glad we have many people here sharing info to educate and teach each other..

As another member here stated, very well I might add.. Because, the hard cold truth is that 75% of all multi-million dollar lottery winners are broke within 5 years....
If you fail to plan....you plan to fail....please my friends....start planning to succeed today...

Cabo
Cabo
Cabo

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevind53 Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:18 pm

jabberwockey wrote:
-snip-

I'm not trying to start an OS war ... Linux is a great OS but has its place and I honestly don't feel it's for non-techie people to use. Windows is NOT my first love, but it's an OK system for people to use who are not computer "nerds". Mac OS is the easiest and arguably operates the finest (Windows is a knock-off of MacOS anyways), but it's a bit pricey for many people.

A couple of years ago, they had a OS shoot out at a security conference. They took Mac, Windows, and Linux systems and set them up, out of the box state with default security recommendations properly set up. They then invited experts to try and hack into them offering cash prizes. The results were a little surprising, the Mac fell first in a matter of hours. Windows lasted a couple of days before succumbing, the Linux outlasted the other two by several days, but it did finally fall.

The reality is that ANY system can be compromised with enough time and expertise. Zeus is tailored for Windows machines, But could just as easily be adapted to attack any other OS. There have even been viruses that have attacked various machine control systems, typically embedded customized Operating Systems. When I was in the business we had to replace a couple in our energy management system because of a possible security compromise.

If you are using a computer for financial management, etc, you are going to have to go on line, and if you go on line you are vulnerable, period. The only answer is up to date and properly set up internet security systems, solid firmware and software firewalls, good, secure passwords, do not write them down, changed at least every 3 months. Use encryption software when possible, never click on a link from an e-mail, better yet, never open an e-mail from someone you do not know. A service that provides anonymous internet connections would be a good investment as well, and something like Safeguard would not be a bad idea either. In the end though, it comes down to good old common sense, follow proper security measures, never go to high risk sites, such as gambling, porn, file sharing, hacker/keygen sites, etc. In my years as a tech, almost every computer that crossed my bench with a virus had been to one of those general categories of sites. In every case, the infestation was preventable if good practices and simple common sense had been applied.

Trust but Verify --- R Reagan Suspect

"Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you."1 Thessalonians 5:14–18

More Bad guys caught. This applies to us 2805820865  More Bad guys caught. This applies to us 2805820865  More Bad guys caught. This applies to us 2805820865  More Bad guys caught. This applies to us 2805820865
Kevind53
Kevind53
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevind53 Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:27 pm

Great info all around ... I only hope people take it all to heart. In the end internet security depends on one person ... The best security in the world is useless if you insist on doing stupid stuff.

Trust but Verify --- R Reagan Suspect

"Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you."1 Thessalonians 5:14–18

More Bad guys caught. This applies to us 2805820865  More Bad guys caught. This applies to us 2805820865  More Bad guys caught. This applies to us 2805820865  More Bad guys caught. This applies to us 2805820865
Kevind53
Kevind53
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by KC1 Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:03 pm

WELL..... How is this going to be stopped? shame [b]

KC1

Back to top Go down

Post by Terbo56 Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:10 pm

Use your phone instead of your p/c- What did we all do before we all had computers?Laughing affraid
Terbo56
Terbo56
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum