Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Go Russia
I HAVE ALWAYS WONDERED HOW KUWAIT R.V.D, SO HERE IS A NEWS POST FROMMARCH 25,1991 ON HOW THEY DID IT !!!!(With no Electricity, No money transfer, and no phones !!!!) I_icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2024 11:37 am by kenlej

» Go Russia
I HAVE ALWAYS WONDERED HOW KUWAIT R.V.D, SO HERE IS A NEWS POST FROMMARCH 25,1991 ON HOW THEY DID IT !!!!(With no Electricity, No money transfer, and no phones !!!!) I_icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2024 10:51 am by kenlej

» Textbook Tony
I HAVE ALWAYS WONDERED HOW KUWAIT R.V.D, SO HERE IS A NEWS POST FROMMARCH 25,1991 ON HOW THEY DID IT !!!!(With no Electricity, No money transfer, and no phones !!!!) I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2024 4:13 pm by Mission1st

» The Rockefellers and the controllers are freaking out right about now
I HAVE ALWAYS WONDERED HOW KUWAIT R.V.D, SO HERE IS A NEWS POST FROMMARCH 25,1991 ON HOW THEY DID IT !!!!(With no Electricity, No money transfer, and no phones !!!!) I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2024 11:16 am by kenlej

» Phony Tony sez: Full Steam Ahead!
I HAVE ALWAYS WONDERED HOW KUWAIT R.V.D, SO HERE IS A NEWS POST FROMMARCH 25,1991 ON HOW THEY DID IT !!!!(With no Electricity, No money transfer, and no phones !!!!) I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:51 am by Mission1st

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
I HAVE ALWAYS WONDERED HOW KUWAIT R.V.D, SO HERE IS A NEWS POST FROMMARCH 25,1991 ON HOW THEY DID IT !!!!(With no Electricity, No money transfer, and no phones !!!!) I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:45 am by Mission1st

» Russia aren't taking any prisoners
I HAVE ALWAYS WONDERED HOW KUWAIT R.V.D, SO HERE IS A NEWS POST FROMMARCH 25,1991 ON HOW THEY DID IT !!!!(With no Electricity, No money transfer, and no phones !!!!) I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2024 6:48 pm by kenlej

» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
I HAVE ALWAYS WONDERED HOW KUWAIT R.V.D, SO HERE IS A NEWS POST FROMMARCH 25,1991 ON HOW THEY DID IT !!!!(With no Electricity, No money transfer, and no phones !!!!) I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» ZIGPLACE
I HAVE ALWAYS WONDERED HOW KUWAIT R.V.D, SO HERE IS A NEWS POST FROMMARCH 25,1991 ON HOW THEY DID IT !!!!(With no Electricity, No money transfer, and no phones !!!!) I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
I HAVE ALWAYS WONDERED HOW KUWAIT R.V.D, SO HERE IS A NEWS POST FROMMARCH 25,1991 ON HOW THEY DID IT !!!!(With no Electricity, No money transfer, and no phones !!!!) I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
I HAVE ALWAYS WONDERED HOW KUWAIT R.V.D, SO HERE IS A NEWS POST FROMMARCH 25,1991 ON HOW THEY DID IT !!!!(With no Electricity, No money transfer, and no phones !!!!) I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
I HAVE ALWAYS WONDERED HOW KUWAIT R.V.D, SO HERE IS A NEWS POST FROMMARCH 25,1991 ON HOW THEY DID IT !!!!(With no Electricity, No money transfer, and no phones !!!!) I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
I HAVE ALWAYS WONDERED HOW KUWAIT R.V.D, SO HERE IS A NEWS POST FROMMARCH 25,1991 ON HOW THEY DID IT !!!!(With no Electricity, No money transfer, and no phones !!!!) I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
I HAVE ALWAYS WONDERED HOW KUWAIT R.V.D, SO HERE IS A NEWS POST FROMMARCH 25,1991 ON HOW THEY DID IT !!!!(With no Electricity, No money transfer, and no phones !!!!) I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
I HAVE ALWAYS WONDERED HOW KUWAIT R.V.D, SO HERE IS A NEWS POST FROMMARCH 25,1991 ON HOW THEY DID IT !!!!(With no Electricity, No money transfer, and no phones !!!!) I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
I HAVE ALWAYS WONDERED HOW KUWAIT R.V.D, SO HERE IS A NEWS POST FROMMARCH 25,1991 ON HOW THEY DID IT !!!!(With no Electricity, No money transfer, and no phones !!!!) I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
I HAVE ALWAYS WONDERED HOW KUWAIT R.V.D, SO HERE IS A NEWS POST FROMMARCH 25,1991 ON HOW THEY DID IT !!!!(With no Electricity, No money transfer, and no phones !!!!) I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
I HAVE ALWAYS WONDERED HOW KUWAIT R.V.D, SO HERE IS A NEWS POST FROMMARCH 25,1991 ON HOW THEY DID IT !!!!(With no Electricity, No money transfer, and no phones !!!!) I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
I HAVE ALWAYS WONDERED HOW KUWAIT R.V.D, SO HERE IS A NEWS POST FROMMARCH 25,1991 ON HOW THEY DID IT !!!!(With no Electricity, No money transfer, and no phones !!!!) I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

» The second American Revolution has begun, God Bless Texas
I HAVE ALWAYS WONDERED HOW KUWAIT R.V.D, SO HERE IS A NEWS POST FROMMARCH 25,1991 ON HOW THEY DID IT !!!!(With no Electricity, No money transfer, and no phones !!!!) I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 6:13 pm by kenlej

I HAVE ALWAYS WONDERED HOW KUWAIT R.V.D, SO HERE IS A NEWS POST FROMMARCH 25,1991 ON HOW THEY DID IT !!!!(With no Electricity, No money transfer, and no phones !!!!)

+6
SEBtopdog
1alaskan
CaptnJerry
therealbutterfly
landcareunlimited
Just Da Truth
10 posters

Go down

I HAVE ALWAYS WONDERED HOW KUWAIT R.V.D, SO HERE IS A NEWS POST FROMMARCH 25,1991 ON HOW THEY DID IT !!!!(With no Electricity, No money transfer, and no phones !!!!) Empty I HAVE ALWAYS WONDERED HOW KUWAIT R.V.D, SO HERE IS A NEWS POST FROMMARCH 25,1991 ON HOW THEY DID IT !!!!(With no Electricity, No money transfer, and no phones !!!!)

Post by Just Da Truth Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:49 am

No Electricity but Kuwait Reopens Its Banks

By DONATELLA LORCH, Special to The New York Times
Published: March 25, 1991

It still has no water and little electricity or food, but Kuwait revived its banking system today, introducing a new currency.

Banks reopened for the first time since Iraqi occupation forces shut them down in December. Thousands of people lined up to exchange their old Kuwaiti dinars for crisp new ones and to withdraw a limited amount of money.

Without electricity, the banks services were slow, limited to money exchange and withdrawal. There was no telex, no electronic money transfer and no telephones. The computers were unusable, so all transactions had to be entered by hand.

"It's like going back 20 years," said Mohammed al-Yahya, the manager of the Commercial Bank of Kuwait, the nation's second-largest bank. Seized Dinars Canceled

The Central Bank is canceling the value of Kuwaiti dinars that were seized from the Central Bank and put into circulation by the Iraqis. The invalid serial numbers were posted today in front of all banks in the city.

All other old dinars can be exchanged for new ones on a one-to-one rate until May 7, when the old dinars become invalid. The new official exchange rate is 3.47 American dollars for one new Kuwaiti dinar.

Although it is severly handicapped without electricity, the Commercial Bank, like many other major banks, was able to open for business because its records had been saved from the Iraqis. Mr. Yahya hid the bank's balance sheets in his home and sent its computer records to London via Syria with an Indian employee, who packed the tapes into the back of a trailer.

The banks also face serious personnel shortages. Only 11 of the Commercial Bank's 35 branches opened today, with 137 out of 1,300 workers.

Before the Iraqi invasion, only 17 percent of the bank's staff was Kuwaiti. Many of the foreign workers -- Jordanians, Palestinians and Indians -- fled and now cannot re-enter the country.

For those exchanging money today, there was little they could buy in Kuwait. Many of those in line said they planned to use their money for vacations or for shopping trips to Saudi Arabia to buy generators and food.

"I need to get away from this pressure," said Abdul Mohammed Hussein, a computer engineer in his early 40's who said he was withdrawing 1,500 new dinars to take a vacation in the United Arab Emirates. "Everywhere you go you find lines. At the supermarket, you find lines. To get petrol for the car, you find lines."

Abdul Hamed al-Atar, a 50-year-old retired Interior Ministry official, said this was the first time he had set foot in a bank since September, and he seemed relieved. "Kuwaits always keep a lot of cash with them," he said as he was handed crisp new piles of money that he stuffed into a small bag. "It's a comfort to have money in my hands."

http://www.nytimes.c...-its-banks.html
Just Da Truth
Just Da Truth
VIP NewsHound
VIP NewsHound

Back to top Go down

I HAVE ALWAYS WONDERED HOW KUWAIT R.V.D, SO HERE IS A NEWS POST FROMMARCH 25,1991 ON HOW THEY DID IT !!!!(With no Electricity, No money transfer, and no phones !!!!) Empty Re: I HAVE ALWAYS WONDERED HOW KUWAIT R.V.D, SO HERE IS A NEWS POST FROMMARCH 25,1991 ON HOW THEY DID IT !!!!(With no Electricity, No money transfer, and no phones !!!!)

Post by landcareunlimited Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:11 am

I saw this article a few days ago and find it very interesting as well. It certainly shows an RV is possible without a lot of fanfare or even basic infrastructure. I will caution you that the primary difference is there was a disruption of banking and currency operations for just a few months until our brave coalition liberated Kuwait. I think the cultural aspects surrounding the Iraqi RV and the relative lack of sophistication amongst the citizenry add unique challenges.
landcareunlimited
landcareunlimited
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

I HAVE ALWAYS WONDERED HOW KUWAIT R.V.D, SO HERE IS A NEWS POST FROMMARCH 25,1991 ON HOW THEY DID IT !!!!(With no Electricity, No money transfer, and no phones !!!!) Empty Re: I HAVE ALWAYS WONDERED HOW KUWAIT R.V.D, SO HERE IS A NEWS POST FROMMARCH 25,1991 ON HOW THEY DID IT !!!!(With no Electricity, No money transfer, and no phones !!!!)

Post by therealbutterfly Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:51 am

This is the same process basically as what happened in 2003 when the New IQD was introduced. The global rate of the kwd didnt change back then, only the street value.... NOT an rv.... What we are dealing with regards to Iraq is completely different, its not a good idea to try and compare iraq to kuwait in ANY aspect.... JMHO
therealbutterfly
therealbutterfly
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post by CaptnJerry Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:07 am

Yes the Kuwaiti Dinar crashed as a result of the 1990 Iraqi invasion, but this ONLY applies to notes in circulation at that time. After the Kuwaiti Government was restored, they issued a new series of banknotes with the same US Dollar exchange rate that the Kuwaiti Dinar had been fixed at before the war. Kuwaitis with old notes had to hand them in to be swapped for the new money. When the notes were being handed in, they were checked against the known serial numbers of notes in stockpiles at the Central Bank of Kuwait which had been stolen during the Iraqi occupation.

Stolen notes would not be exchanged - point blank. Other notes could only be exchanged by Kuwaiti residents during a very short period of time, after which all previous banknote issues were declared worthless. And in this case worthless means WORTHLESS. Current 20 Kuwaiti Dinar notes have a face value of about 75.00USD at the exchange booth. Older ones sell on ebay for about 10.00USD to collectors - and that's for one without any folds.

The underlined explains it was just a RI (re-instatement of previous value)! So everyone please quite using the phrase "just like when Kuwait RV'd"

CJ

Last edited by CaptnJerry on Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:15 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added please)

Inspired by Splovengates "Be ready between sunday and monday night, or maybe tuesday or wednesday, could also be thursday but definitely by friday.... probably next week, monday or late tuesday night, wednesday morning to hear the rv and should be cashing in on the following tuesday the 1st part of january or february. Sooner more than later. But no later than the beginning of 2013. Certainly not before then. Until then, let's enjoy the ride!

I HAVE ALWAYS WONDERED HOW KUWAIT R.V.D, SO HERE IS A NEWS POST FROMMARCH 25,1991 ON HOW THEY DID IT !!!!(With no Electricity, No money transfer, and no phones !!!!) Animated-smileys-leisure-013 Come on RI/RV!
CaptnJerry
CaptnJerry
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post by therealbutterfly Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:21 am

Thank you CaptnJerry!!!! At least SOME people out there understand the difference. I HAVE ALWAYS WONDERED HOW KUWAIT R.V.D, SO HERE IS A NEWS POST FROMMARCH 25,1991 ON HOW THEY DID IT !!!!(With no Electricity, No money transfer, and no phones !!!!) 1261280965

I HAVE ALWAYS WONDERED HOW KUWAIT R.V.D, SO HERE IS A NEWS POST FROMMARCH 25,1991 ON HOW THEY DID IT !!!!(With no Electricity, No money transfer, and no phones !!!!) Opinio10
therealbutterfly
therealbutterfly
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 1alaskan Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:39 pm

Yes there is a difference,

But if the IQD is RV'd or RI's if you want to call it that, back to Pre US invasion rate of $3.22. I would not mind one bit. It works for me.

Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent.
Marilyn Vos Savant

Yesterday would have been better, but today is a good day

Remember as always, JMHO
Rantings from just north of sixty

1alaskan
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post by SEBtopdog Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:42 pm

1alaskan wrote:Yes there is a difference,

But if the IQD is RV'd or RI's if you want to call it that, back to Pre US invasion rate of $3.22. I would not mind one bit. It works for me.

Me, toooooooooooooo!!!! I HAVE ALWAYS WONDERED HOW KUWAIT R.V.D, SO HERE IS A NEWS POST FROMMARCH 25,1991 ON HOW THEY DID IT !!!!(With no Electricity, No money transfer, and no phones !!!!) 3079029344

I HAVE ALWAYS WONDERED HOW KUWAIT R.V.D, SO HERE IS A NEWS POST FROMMARCH 25,1991 ON HOW THEY DID IT !!!!(With no Electricity, No money transfer, and no phones !!!!) Emoticon-animal-028

Keep smiling ... It'll make 'em wonder what you're up to!

I HAVE ALWAYS WONDERED HOW KUWAIT R.V.D, SO HERE IS A NEWS POST FROMMARCH 25,1991 ON HOW THEY DID IT !!!!(With no Electricity, No money transfer, and no phones !!!!) Bump~0 Will someone please let the RV Widget out of the jar?
SEBtopdog
SEBtopdog
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dlusk1414 Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:45 pm

Meeeeee three.... (get it)...

Very Happy
dlusk1414
dlusk1414
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dlusk1414 Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:46 pm

Sorry, just needed a little humor here today!!
dlusk1414
dlusk1414
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ponee Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:26 pm

A blast from the past

Ponee
Ponee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam I Am Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:10 pm

Thanks for the bump, Ponee.  It just shows you how much confusion there was back then about revaluation and redenomination. And no, the dinar wasn't worth $3.22 prior to the invasion.  It was only given that valuation because of Saddam's decree.  The market rate was 3/100 of a penny back in 1995, which was eight years before the invasion.  That's because of Saddam's reckless management of the country, spending their reserves in the war with Iraq and printing the dinar into oblivion.  You can't RV that away.  All you can do is reprint or redenominate to a new exchange rate and start over.

Busting Gurus Since 2011

Sam I Am
Sam I Am
GURU HUNTER
GURU HUNTER

http://www.jewandgreek.com

Back to top Go down

Post by clayf Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:33 pm

Friday, November 16, 1990
1 US Dollar = 129.780 Iraqi Dinar
1 Iraqi Dinar (IQD) = 0.007705 US Dollar (USD)
Interbank rate +/- 0%
This means:
You buy 1 US Dollar :     129.780 Iraqi Dinar
You sell 1 US Dollar :     129.700 Iraqi Dinar

[size=undefined][size=undefined]You buy 1 Iraqi Dinar :     0.007710 US Dollar[/size][/size]
[size=undefined][size=undefined]You sell 1 Iraqi Dinar :     0.007705 US Dollar[/size][/size]
Learn about the new Iraqi Dinar
Median price = 129.700 / 129.780 (bid/ask)
Minimum price = 129.000 / 129.060
Maximum price = 130.000 / 130.100
75% of the prices were above 129.350 / 129.450 and below 129.850 / 129.920
clayf
clayf
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by clayf Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:41 pm

This is 1996, 1997 it went to 1200 per 1 usd .  
Saturday, November 16, 1996
1 US Dollar = 111.100 Iraqi Dinar
1 Iraqi Dinar (IQD) = 0.009001 US Dollar (USD)
Interbank rate +/- 0%
This means:
You buy 1 US Dollar :     111.100 Iraqi Dinar
You sell 1 US Dollar :     111.050 Iraqi Dinar

[size=undefined][size=undefined]You buy 1 Iraqi Dinar :     0.009005 US Dollar[/size][/size]
[size=undefined][size=undefined]You sell 1 Iraqi Dinar :     0.009001 US Dollar[/size][/size]
Learn about the new Iraqi Dinar
Median price = 111.050 / 111.100 (bid/ask)
Minimum price = 111.050 / 111.100
Maximum price = 111.050 / 111.100
I HAVE ALWAYS WONDERED HOW KUWAIT R.V.D, SO HERE IS A NEWS POST FROMMARCH 25,1991 ON HOW THEY DID IT !!!!(With no Electricity, No money transfer, and no phones !!!!) Icon_add_to_site_up
I HAVE ALWAYS WONDERED HOW KUWAIT R.V.D, SO HERE IS A NEWS POST FROMMARCH 25,1991 ON HOW THEY DID IT !!!!(With no Electricity, No money transfer, and no phones !!!!) Icon_print_up
I HAVE ALWAYS WONDERED HOW KUWAIT R.V.D, SO HERE IS A NEWS POST FROMMARCH 25,1991 ON HOW THEY DID IT !!!!(With no Electricity, No money transfer, and no phones !!!!) Icon_info_up
I HAVE ALWAYS WONDERED HOW KUWAIT R.V.D, SO HERE IS A NEWS POST FROMMARCH 25,1991 ON HOW THEY DID IT !!!!(With no Electricity, No money transfer, and no phones !!!!) Icon_blackberry_converter_up
I HAVE ALWAYS WONDERED HOW KUWAIT R.V.D, SO HERE IS A NEWS POST FROMMARCH 25,1991 ON HOW THEY DID IT !!!!(With no Electricity, No money transfer, and no phones !!!!) Icon_traavelers_cheatsheet_up
clayf
clayf
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum