Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Carnival Rides
Vietnam: WTO commitments prevent tax hikes to curb imports I_icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2024 5:03 pm by kenlej

» Go Russia
Vietnam: WTO commitments prevent tax hikes to curb imports I_icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2024 11:37 am by kenlej

» Go Russia
Vietnam: WTO commitments prevent tax hikes to curb imports I_icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2024 10:51 am by kenlej

» Textbook Tony
Vietnam: WTO commitments prevent tax hikes to curb imports I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2024 4:13 pm by Mission1st

» The Rockefellers and the controllers are freaking out right about now
Vietnam: WTO commitments prevent tax hikes to curb imports I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2024 11:16 am by kenlej

» Phony Tony sez: Full Steam Ahead!
Vietnam: WTO commitments prevent tax hikes to curb imports I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:51 am by Mission1st

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
Vietnam: WTO commitments prevent tax hikes to curb imports I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:45 am by Mission1st

» Russia aren't taking any prisoners
Vietnam: WTO commitments prevent tax hikes to curb imports I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2024 6:48 pm by kenlej

» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
Vietnam: WTO commitments prevent tax hikes to curb imports I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» ZIGPLACE
Vietnam: WTO commitments prevent tax hikes to curb imports I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
Vietnam: WTO commitments prevent tax hikes to curb imports I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
Vietnam: WTO commitments prevent tax hikes to curb imports I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
Vietnam: WTO commitments prevent tax hikes to curb imports I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
Vietnam: WTO commitments prevent tax hikes to curb imports I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
Vietnam: WTO commitments prevent tax hikes to curb imports I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
Vietnam: WTO commitments prevent tax hikes to curb imports I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
Vietnam: WTO commitments prevent tax hikes to curb imports I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
Vietnam: WTO commitments prevent tax hikes to curb imports I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
Vietnam: WTO commitments prevent tax hikes to curb imports I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
Vietnam: WTO commitments prevent tax hikes to curb imports I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

Vietnam: WTO commitments prevent tax hikes to curb imports

Go down

Vietnam: WTO commitments prevent tax hikes to curb imports Empty Vietnam: WTO commitments prevent tax hikes to curb imports

Post by ADMIN Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:32 am

Two key economic indicators, inflation and trade deficit, have plagued Viet Nam’s economic recovery for the last two years, and caused the Government to walk a policy tightrope.

In February, the Government proposed a five-prong approach to address the dual problems of inflation and trade deficit. The approach sought to foster domestic production, encourage exports, and limit imports.

The most worrisome strategy, however, is related to efforts by the Ministry of Industry and Trade (MoIT) to limit imports – worrisome because the nation’s WTO commitments require the removal of obstacles to cross-border trade. Nevertheless, MoIT issued Decision No 1380/2011/QD-BCT on March 25, listing goods it deems at risk of over-importation (the “Discouraged List”).

Goods on the list are grouped into 297 categories and include 3,724 separate taxable items. The list is dominated by consumer and household goods and automobiles.

The Discouraged List is just that, a list. There is no guidance to tell what is to be done with items on the list. And that has been the concern. Will there be administrative measures applied arbitrarily that act effectively as tariffs? Will the existence of such a list interfere with foreign-invested businesses that rely on the listed items for their operations? Will there be any restriction on the trading rights of foreign-invested companies?

The answer came from the Ministry of Finance (MoF) with its Official Letter No 4388/BTC-CST, issued on April 5. The letter took into account international treaties and commitments in determining the policy direction.

Under WTO commitments, specific import goods are given a maximum rate for import taxes, a ceiling or cap. This cap varies by classification of goods. After reviewing the Discouraged List, MoF found that 3,406 items on the List were already being taxed at their ceiling rate. Nothing could be done to further discourage their import, at least not by the use of taxes. MoF found that taxes on 149 items were set at 1-3 per cent below the ceiling and 169 items at 4 per cent below.

MOF stated that it would take no action on those items already taxed at the ceiling rate, nor on the 149 items taxed at 1-3 per cent less than the cap. Of the remaining 169 items, the MoF found only eleven that it intended to tax further.

This has been the extent of action so far to the proposal to limit over-importation. No administrative measures, such as prohibition or suspension of certain imports, has been or seems likely to be introduced.

Absent straight-up tax increases, the battle to reduce trade deficit will have to look to other measures, especially sound management of banking and monetary policy and improved domestic production. It’s good news to see that the Government is actually playing by the international rules. Compliance with international agreements demonstrates a commitment to sustainable trade policy, something necessary for Viet Nam to balance the trade deficit and stabilise the value of its currency.

http://vietnambusiness.asia/wto-commitments-prevent-tax-hikes-to-curb-imports/

ADMIN
Admin
Admin

http://dinardaily@gmail.com

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum