Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Carnival Rides
Fed's Dudley: Europe among economy's big headwinds I_icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2024 5:03 pm by kenlej

» Go Russia
Fed's Dudley: Europe among economy's big headwinds I_icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2024 11:37 am by kenlej

» Go Russia
Fed's Dudley: Europe among economy's big headwinds I_icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2024 10:51 am by kenlej

» Textbook Tony
Fed's Dudley: Europe among economy's big headwinds I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2024 4:13 pm by Mission1st

» The Rockefellers and the controllers are freaking out right about now
Fed's Dudley: Europe among economy's big headwinds I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2024 11:16 am by kenlej

» Phony Tony sez: Full Steam Ahead!
Fed's Dudley: Europe among economy's big headwinds I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:51 am by Mission1st

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
Fed's Dudley: Europe among economy's big headwinds I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:45 am by Mission1st

» Russia aren't taking any prisoners
Fed's Dudley: Europe among economy's big headwinds I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2024 6:48 pm by kenlej

» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
Fed's Dudley: Europe among economy's big headwinds I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» ZIGPLACE
Fed's Dudley: Europe among economy's big headwinds I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
Fed's Dudley: Europe among economy's big headwinds I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
Fed's Dudley: Europe among economy's big headwinds I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
Fed's Dudley: Europe among economy's big headwinds I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
Fed's Dudley: Europe among economy's big headwinds I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
Fed's Dudley: Europe among economy's big headwinds I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
Fed's Dudley: Europe among economy's big headwinds I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
Fed's Dudley: Europe among economy's big headwinds I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
Fed's Dudley: Europe among economy's big headwinds I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
Fed's Dudley: Europe among economy's big headwinds I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
Fed's Dudley: Europe among economy's big headwinds I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

Fed's Dudley: Europe among economy's big headwinds

Go down

Fed's Dudley: Europe among economy's big headwinds Empty Fed's Dudley: Europe among economy's big headwinds

Post by lexie Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:53 am

Oct 24, 2011 09:10 EDT

Fed's Dudley: Europe among economy's big headwinds

NEW YORK (Reuters) - New York Federal Reserve President William Dudley said on Monday the U.S. economy still faces serious headwinds, including "spillover" effects from Europe, adding the central bank will continue to do everything within its power to help.

Europe's sovereign debt crisis has weakened the outlook for global growth and with it, U.S. exports, Dudley said in a speech to Fordham University's Gabelli School of Business.

He also listed problems in the housing market as a main stumbling block for the U.S. economy, calling it "a serious impediment" to a stronger recovery, which this year has been plagued by "quite disappointing" GDP growth.

"Without robust growth, the economy is more vulnerable to negative shocks, which unfortunately seem to keep coming," the influential U.S. central banker said in the Bronx. "It is like riding a bicycle -- at a slow speed, the bicycle wobbles and the risk of falling rises."

Faced with the worst recession in decades, the Fed in late 2008 cut rates to near zero and has since bought $2.3 trillion in bonds to spur a recovery. Yet the rebound has been weak and is now threatened by Europe's debt crisis, casting doubt on the central bank's strategy and effectiveness but also raising some expectations for more asset purchases.

"The Fed is doing -- and will continue to do -- everything within its power to promote jobs and price stability," Dudley said.

Slow U.S. economic growth has not been able to ease unemployment, which has been at 9 percent or higher the last six months. Inflation has also been higher than the Fed's preferred level of 2 percent after a period this year of lofty gas and commodities prices.

The inflation rate should fall late this year and next, barring more energy price jumps, Dudley said.

"I believe that underlying fundamentals will help to subdue inflation over the next few quarters," he said.

Last month, the Fed reached deep into its tool box and announced Operation Twist. The plan replaces $400 billion of short-term securities in its portfolio with longer-term ones to lower longer-term rates, and stimulate the economy.

Dudley said the move should provide some additional support for growth.

Europe's sovereign debt crisis, meanwhile, threatens to drag the world into another recession as policymakers there wrangled this past weekend over a possible Greek default and its impact on the European banking system.

]Source: Reuters US Online Report Top News

http://www.newsmeat.com/news/meat.php?articleId=121291597&channelId=2951&buyerId=newsmeatcom&buid=3281

"WHEN THE POWER OF LOVE OVERCOMES THE LOVE OF POWER, THE WORLD WILL KNOW PEACE"
lexie
lexie
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum