Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Carnival Rides
Vietnam Says Inflation May Surge; Officials Weaken Exchange Rate I_icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2024 5:03 pm by kenlej

» Go Russia
Vietnam Says Inflation May Surge; Officials Weaken Exchange Rate I_icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2024 11:37 am by kenlej

» Go Russia
Vietnam Says Inflation May Surge; Officials Weaken Exchange Rate I_icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2024 10:51 am by kenlej

» Textbook Tony
Vietnam Says Inflation May Surge; Officials Weaken Exchange Rate I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2024 4:13 pm by Mission1st

» The Rockefellers and the controllers are freaking out right about now
Vietnam Says Inflation May Surge; Officials Weaken Exchange Rate I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2024 11:16 am by kenlej

» Phony Tony sez: Full Steam Ahead!
Vietnam Says Inflation May Surge; Officials Weaken Exchange Rate I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:51 am by Mission1st

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
Vietnam Says Inflation May Surge; Officials Weaken Exchange Rate I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:45 am by Mission1st

» Russia aren't taking any prisoners
Vietnam Says Inflation May Surge; Officials Weaken Exchange Rate I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2024 6:48 pm by kenlej

» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
Vietnam Says Inflation May Surge; Officials Weaken Exchange Rate I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» ZIGPLACE
Vietnam Says Inflation May Surge; Officials Weaken Exchange Rate I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
Vietnam Says Inflation May Surge; Officials Weaken Exchange Rate I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
Vietnam Says Inflation May Surge; Officials Weaken Exchange Rate I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
Vietnam Says Inflation May Surge; Officials Weaken Exchange Rate I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
Vietnam Says Inflation May Surge; Officials Weaken Exchange Rate I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
Vietnam Says Inflation May Surge; Officials Weaken Exchange Rate I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
Vietnam Says Inflation May Surge; Officials Weaken Exchange Rate I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
Vietnam Says Inflation May Surge; Officials Weaken Exchange Rate I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
Vietnam Says Inflation May Surge; Officials Weaken Exchange Rate I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
Vietnam Says Inflation May Surge; Officials Weaken Exchange Rate I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
Vietnam Says Inflation May Surge; Officials Weaken Exchange Rate I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

Vietnam Says Inflation May Surge; Officials Weaken Exchange Rate

Go down

Vietnam Says Inflation May Surge; Officials Weaken Exchange Rate Empty Vietnam Says Inflation May Surge; Officials Weaken Exchange Rate

Post by lexie Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:05 am

October 11, 2011

Vietnam Says Inflation May Surge; Officials Weaken Exchange Rate

Vietnamese inflation may jump and the priority is to curb it, the Communist Party said as Asia’s fastest consumer-price growth adds pressure on the dong.

Inflation is “at risk of surging,” Communist Party General Secretary Nguyen Phu Trong said in the text of a speech posted on the government’s website yesterday. Vietnam will prioritize fighting price gains while targeting “suitable growth” in the first few years of the 2011-2015 period, the party’s Central Committee said separately yesterday.

Vietnam’s central bank raised a key interest rate last week for the first time since May as it struggles to quell inflation of more than 22 percent and steady the dong. The nation has found it difficult to follow through on commitments to tighten monetary policy and has historically prioritized economic growth over inflation, according to HSBC Holdings Plc.

“The rate hike last week was an attempt to try to contain pressure on the local currency more than a strong commitment to fight inflation,” said Santitarn Sathirathai, an economist at Credit Suisse AG in Singapore. “If the pressure on the currency eases, they may still reverse course.”

The State Bank of Vietnam weakened the dong’s reference exchange rate today for the fourth time this month, fixing it at 20,668 per dollar from 20,653 yesterday.

The currency weakened 0.1 percent to 20,870 per dollar as of 11:02 a.m. local time, according to data compiled by Bloomberg. It was devalued for the fourth time in 15 months on Feb. 11, by about 7 percent. The benchmark VN Index of stocks fell 0.5 percent.
Consumer Prices

Consumer prices climbed 22.42 percent in September from a year earlier, compared with 23.02 percent in August. That’s the fastest pace in a basket of 17 Asian economies tracked by Bloomberg. Elevated inflation has fanned demand for gold and dollars as a store of value.

The State Bank of Vietnam raised its refinancing rate to 15 percent from 14 percent last week. The move took effect yesterday.

Vietnam’s foreign-exchange reserves are still “thin” and there remains considerable pressure on the nation’s currency, Trong also said. The country is forecasting economic growth of 5.8 percent to 6 percent this year, he said.

The main tasks over the next five years are restructurings of public investments, the financial markets and state-owned enterprises, Trong said. Vietnam will merge or consolidate smaller commercial banks and financial institutions to ensure liquidity and strengthen the banking system, he said.

Vietnam will aim for faster economic growth in the final years of the 2011-2015 period if conditions are favorable, the Central Committee also said in its statement yesterday. (Bloomberg)

http://www.vietfinancenews.com/2011/10/vietnam-says-inflation-may-surge.html#more

"WHEN THE POWER OF LOVE OVERCOMES THE LOVE OF POWER, THE WORLD WILL KNOW PEACE"
lexie
lexie
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum