Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Go Russia
Vietnam - Higher deposit rates offered on liquidity fears I_icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2024 11:37 am by kenlej

» Go Russia
Vietnam - Higher deposit rates offered on liquidity fears I_icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2024 10:51 am by kenlej

» Textbook Tony
Vietnam - Higher deposit rates offered on liquidity fears I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2024 4:13 pm by Mission1st

» The Rockefellers and the controllers are freaking out right about now
Vietnam - Higher deposit rates offered on liquidity fears I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2024 11:16 am by kenlej

» Phony Tony sez: Full Steam Ahead!
Vietnam - Higher deposit rates offered on liquidity fears I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:51 am by Mission1st

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
Vietnam - Higher deposit rates offered on liquidity fears I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:45 am by Mission1st

» Russia aren't taking any prisoners
Vietnam - Higher deposit rates offered on liquidity fears I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2024 6:48 pm by kenlej

» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
Vietnam - Higher deposit rates offered on liquidity fears I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» ZIGPLACE
Vietnam - Higher deposit rates offered on liquidity fears I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
Vietnam - Higher deposit rates offered on liquidity fears I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
Vietnam - Higher deposit rates offered on liquidity fears I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
Vietnam - Higher deposit rates offered on liquidity fears I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
Vietnam - Higher deposit rates offered on liquidity fears I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
Vietnam - Higher deposit rates offered on liquidity fears I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
Vietnam - Higher deposit rates offered on liquidity fears I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
Vietnam - Higher deposit rates offered on liquidity fears I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
Vietnam - Higher deposit rates offered on liquidity fears I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
Vietnam - Higher deposit rates offered on liquidity fears I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
Vietnam - Higher deposit rates offered on liquidity fears I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

» The second American Revolution has begun, God Bless Texas
Vietnam - Higher deposit rates offered on liquidity fears I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 6:13 pm by kenlej

Vietnam - Higher deposit rates offered on liquidity fears

Go down

Vietnam - Higher deposit rates offered on liquidity fears Empty Vietnam - Higher deposit rates offered on liquidity fears

Post by lexie Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:35 pm

October 4, 2011

Higher deposit rates offered on liquidity fears

Some local commercial banks, especially small ones, are continuing to offer customers deposit interest rates higher than the cap of 14% per annum over liquidity concerns.

A customer a few days ago informed a small bank in HCMC that he wanted to withdraw VND1 billion and was questioned by staff about the decision.

When he arrived at the bank’s branch the following day to withdraw the money, an accountant approached him with a 16% rate offer for his one-month deposit.

The customer agreed not to withdraw the money from the bank after signing several papers and receiving upfront cash equivalent to two percentage points. The accountant just put the 14% rate on his certificate of deposit.

According to a high-ranking officer of the bank, small lenders are facing huge pressure from falling liquidity as money is flowing out quickly on lower deposit rates. They have to choose either punishment from the central bank against illegal deposit rate hikes or poor liquidity if customers keep taking back money.

The central bank has in recent days pumped small funds through the open market and each lender has received just a modest amount of it. However, not all banks have been able to access the capital as they have no government bonds that can be used to mortgage loans, the bank officer said.

Besides, the loans have short terms at one month maximum while mobilization rates on the inter-bank market stay at 14.5% to 16%. Small banks may find it hard to get good interest rates, he said.

Most local banks have yet to find solutions for capital mobilization after the central bank issued Circular 30 to cap interest rates on dong deposits that are non-term and those less than a month at 6% last week.

The head of a bank’s individual customer department has since last week come to the transaction counter to monitor cash withdrawals by customers and even reach depositors who intended to take away their cash.

“This has never happened before and staff at all the bank’s branches are assigned to seek new customers whilst keeping current ones,” a staff member of the bank said.

Other lenders like Orient and Viet A have also launched promotion programs to give lucky draws or valuable gifts to lure new customers.

Dam The Thai, deputy director of HCMC Development Bank (HDBank), said low deposit rates have made customers shift to more attractive channels like gold and the stock market. The bank is trying to improve customer services like quick and convenient transactions via telephone, the Internet or at customers’ homes.

To help improve liquidity in small banks, a financial expert said the central bank should raise compulsory reserve ratios and pay the interest for the money kept at the central bank.

The central bank then will use the money to increase loans via the open market and recapitalize small lenders.

http://www.vietfinancenews.com/2011/10/higher-deposit-rates-offered-on.html

"WHEN THE POWER OF LOVE OVERCOMES THE LOVE OF POWER, THE WORLD WILL KNOW PEACE"
lexie
lexie
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum