Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Carnival Rides
ADB warns Vietnam of ‘premature loosening policy’ I_icon_minitimeToday at 5:03 pm by kenlej

» Go Russia
ADB warns Vietnam of ‘premature loosening policy’ I_icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2024 11:37 am by kenlej

» Go Russia
ADB warns Vietnam of ‘premature loosening policy’ I_icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2024 10:51 am by kenlej

» Textbook Tony
ADB warns Vietnam of ‘premature loosening policy’ I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2024 4:13 pm by Mission1st

» The Rockefellers and the controllers are freaking out right about now
ADB warns Vietnam of ‘premature loosening policy’ I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2024 11:16 am by kenlej

» Phony Tony sez: Full Steam Ahead!
ADB warns Vietnam of ‘premature loosening policy’ I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:51 am by Mission1st

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
ADB warns Vietnam of ‘premature loosening policy’ I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:45 am by Mission1st

» Russia aren't taking any prisoners
ADB warns Vietnam of ‘premature loosening policy’ I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2024 6:48 pm by kenlej

» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
ADB warns Vietnam of ‘premature loosening policy’ I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» ZIGPLACE
ADB warns Vietnam of ‘premature loosening policy’ I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
ADB warns Vietnam of ‘premature loosening policy’ I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
ADB warns Vietnam of ‘premature loosening policy’ I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
ADB warns Vietnam of ‘premature loosening policy’ I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
ADB warns Vietnam of ‘premature loosening policy’ I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
ADB warns Vietnam of ‘premature loosening policy’ I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
ADB warns Vietnam of ‘premature loosening policy’ I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
ADB warns Vietnam of ‘premature loosening policy’ I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
ADB warns Vietnam of ‘premature loosening policy’ I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
ADB warns Vietnam of ‘premature loosening policy’ I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
ADB warns Vietnam of ‘premature loosening policy’ I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

ADB warns Vietnam of ‘premature loosening policy’

Go down

ADB warns Vietnam of ‘premature loosening policy’ Empty ADB warns Vietnam of ‘premature loosening policy’

Post by lexie Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:39 pm

September 15, 2011

ADB warns Vietnam of ‘premature loosening policy’

The Asian Development Bank on Wednesday warned the Government that premature easing could undermine macroeconomic stabilization efforts, erode business and consumer confidence in Vietnam dong, and renew downward pressure on foreign reserves.

ADB Country Director for Vietnam Tomoyuki Kimura said that it is still too early for Vietnam to ease macroeconomic policies as year-on-year headline inflation remains above 20%.

He added that Resolution 11– a comprehensive policy package built to enforce austerity measures to achieve macro stability – has made good initial progress by helping the exchange rate to stabilize, allowing foreign reserves to be replenished, and lowering the monthly inflation during June – August.

Investors and residents likely have more confidence in economic management if policies and policy making were given greater clarity, consistency, and transparency, Kimura said at a press conference in Hanoi on Wednesday to launch The Asian Development Outlook 2011 Update (ADO Update).

According to the report, inflation is projected to ease gradually to 18.7% by this year-end before moderating to 11.0% next year.

The report forecasted a slightly lower Vietnam growth outcome from 6.1% to 5.8% for 2011 to quicken to 6.5% in 2012.

ADO Update commended efforts taken by the Government but observed that the market was receiving mixed signals on both monetary and fiscal policies that was undermining the effectiveness of the macroeconomic stabilization package.

Although the Ministry of Finance cut public spending and its fiscal deficit target earlier in 2011 it simultaneously increased some social spending, and later proposed tax breaks for businesses.

Macroeconomic tightening, after a period of rapid credit growth, generally puts stresses on borrowers and banks.

A 23% increase in U.S. dollar borrowing in the first six months of this year heightened that risk. Vietnam dong could come under downward pressure as these mostly short-term loans mature.

Reflecting these concerns, sovereign spreads and credit default swaps drifted up to 400 basis points in August, the highest since May 2009. The central bank has raised the required reserve ratio for banks’ U.S. dollar deposits by 4 percentage points to 8% on deposits of less than 12 months (6% on longer-term deposits) between May and August in moves aimed at damping US dollar lending.

However, on August 30 it suspended limits on the loan-to-deposit ratio to reduce interest rates and support financial institutions struggling to meet credit targets.

The regional lender said the near-term outlook depends very much on the Government demonstrating a continued commitment towards restoring macroeconomic stability.

Sustained and consistent implementation of Resolution 11 will lower inflation and allow interest rates to come down, which would boost investor confidence and stimulate economic activities.

Kimura said that restoring macroeconomic stability was the immediate priority, but addressing root causes of high inflation required greater efforts on structural reforms. These reforms include reducing bottlenecks in production and transportation, safeguarding the finance sector, increasing the efficiency of public investment, and imposing market discipline on large state-owned enterprises.

http://www.vietfinancenews.com/2011/09/adb-warns-vietnam-of-premature.html#more

lexie
lexie
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum