Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» The Rockefellers and the controllers are freaking out right about now
Iraqi banks rely on government support to recover from Daesh devastation I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2024 11:16 am by kenlej

» Phony Tony sez: Full Steam Ahead!
Iraqi banks rely on government support to recover from Daesh devastation I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:51 am by Mission1st

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
Iraqi banks rely on government support to recover from Daesh devastation I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:45 am by Mission1st

» Russia aren't taking any prisoners
Iraqi banks rely on government support to recover from Daesh devastation I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2024 6:48 pm by kenlej

» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
Iraqi banks rely on government support to recover from Daesh devastation I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» ZIGPLACE
Iraqi banks rely on government support to recover from Daesh devastation I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
Iraqi banks rely on government support to recover from Daesh devastation I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
Iraqi banks rely on government support to recover from Daesh devastation I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
Iraqi banks rely on government support to recover from Daesh devastation I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
Iraqi banks rely on government support to recover from Daesh devastation I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
Iraqi banks rely on government support to recover from Daesh devastation I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
Iraqi banks rely on government support to recover from Daesh devastation I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
Iraqi banks rely on government support to recover from Daesh devastation I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
Iraqi banks rely on government support to recover from Daesh devastation I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
Iraqi banks rely on government support to recover from Daesh devastation I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
Iraqi banks rely on government support to recover from Daesh devastation I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

» The second American Revolution has begun, God Bless Texas
Iraqi banks rely on government support to recover from Daesh devastation I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 6:13 pm by kenlej

» The Global Currency Reset Evolution Event Will Begin With Gold, Zimbabwe ZWR Old Bank Notes
Iraqi banks rely on government support to recover from Daesh devastation I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 28, 2024 3:28 pm by Mission1st

» Tucker talking Canada
Iraqi banks rely on government support to recover from Daesh devastation I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2024 6:50 pm by kenlej

» Almost to the end The goodguys are winning
Iraqi banks rely on government support to recover from Daesh devastation I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 9:03 pm by kenlej

Iraqi banks rely on government support to recover from Daesh devastation

Go down

Iraqi banks rely on government support to recover from Daesh devastation Empty Iraqi banks rely on government support to recover from Daesh devastation

Post by RamblerNash Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:30 pm

Iraqi banks rely on government support to recover from Daesh devastation

Banks said to have collectively ‘lost nearly 100 branches in hot areas with all their assets, funds, buildings, everything without any compensation’

Iraqi banks rely on government support to recover from Daesh devastation 4171932244

Image Credit: Reuters

An employee counts bills at Ashur International Bank in Baghdad, Iraq. Iraq’s private banks have been severely affected by Daesh’s takeover of parts of the country.

Published: 17:44 December 5, 2016 Iraqi banks rely on government support to recover from Daesh devastation 1784965892

Reuters

BAGHDAD:Iraq’s private banks are pinning hope on the oil-rich government to bring back into the black their balance sheets severely affected by Daesh’s takeover of parts of the country.

In an interview with Reuters on Monday, Iraqi Private Banks’ Association President Ali Tarek said that several lenders would not be able to pass a stress test of international standards at their current level of capitalisation.

“Collectively, banks have lost nearly 100 branches in hot areas with all their assets, funds, buildings, everything without any compensation,” he said. “If a stress test is held currently, it should take into consideration the current situation of the country and the Iraqi banking sector.” The weakness of the private banks does not affect the banking sector as a whole, dominated by state-owned banks feeding on business from the oil-rich country’s government.

But it is a setback for government efforts to develop the private sector and reduce the Opec nation’s reliance on oil.

As a way to reinvigorate private lenders, the central bank may offer them the possibility of setting up a 500 billion Iraqi-dinar fund that will invest in the government’s “strategic infrastructure projects” like housing, transport and sewage projects, Tarek said.

The government would thus provide the banks with a steady stream of business that will help restore their balance sheets.

“The central bank is in the final steps, it has sent a letter to the participant banks to determine their shares, all banks are allowed to participate,” Tarek said. “Other than levying interest, the banks will be engaged in long-term, guaranteed projects.” Other than damage to the assets of the banks and the banks clients, the militants’ sweeping advance across northern and western Iraq also caused a rush on liquidity that weakened the leaders. People got worried that they would no longer be able to access their money deposited in banks. Iraq relies almost entirely on cash for day-to-day transactions.

Iraq has been prey to war and insurgency since the overthrow of Saddam Hussain in 2003. As a result, Iraqis are reluctant to use banks in case violence prevents them accessing their cash or restrictions are placed on withdrawals.

Private banks suffered a lot more than the state owned banks that relied on government liquidity and transactions to stay afloat throughout the 36 years of wars and sanctions that the country went through.

Iraq’s state-owned banks — Rafidain, Rasheed, Agriculture, Industrial, Real Estate and the Housing Fund — control together 86 per cent of total deposits or $48 billion (Dh176.2 billion), while the 45 private banks share the remaining 14 percent, or $7 billion, said Tarek.

“There were many withdrawals of deposits by citizens because the circumstances at the time required that they have liquidity,” said Tarek. “Bank transactions were dealt a heavy blow at the same time, as lending and letters of credit” to the private sector “decreased as the government executed fewer projects,” he added.

http://gulfnews.com/business/sectors/banking/iraqi-banks-rely-on-government-support-to-recover-from-daesh-devastation-1.1940449

Iraqi banks rely on government support to recover from Daesh devastation 258310255 
>>>TNTBS's YouTube Channel<<<
RamblerNash
RamblerNash
GURU HUNTER
GURU HUNTER

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum