Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Carnival Rides
Top Pentagon Intel Officer: Iraq ‘May Not Come Back as an Intact State’  I_icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2024 5:03 pm by kenlej

» Go Russia
Top Pentagon Intel Officer: Iraq ‘May Not Come Back as an Intact State’  I_icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2024 11:37 am by kenlej

» Go Russia
Top Pentagon Intel Officer: Iraq ‘May Not Come Back as an Intact State’  I_icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2024 10:51 am by kenlej

» Textbook Tony
Top Pentagon Intel Officer: Iraq ‘May Not Come Back as an Intact State’  I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2024 4:13 pm by Mission1st

» The Rockefellers and the controllers are freaking out right about now
Top Pentagon Intel Officer: Iraq ‘May Not Come Back as an Intact State’  I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2024 11:16 am by kenlej

» Phony Tony sez: Full Steam Ahead!
Top Pentagon Intel Officer: Iraq ‘May Not Come Back as an Intact State’  I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:51 am by Mission1st

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
Top Pentagon Intel Officer: Iraq ‘May Not Come Back as an Intact State’  I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:45 am by Mission1st

» Russia aren't taking any prisoners
Top Pentagon Intel Officer: Iraq ‘May Not Come Back as an Intact State’  I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2024 6:48 pm by kenlej

» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
Top Pentagon Intel Officer: Iraq ‘May Not Come Back as an Intact State’  I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» ZIGPLACE
Top Pentagon Intel Officer: Iraq ‘May Not Come Back as an Intact State’  I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
Top Pentagon Intel Officer: Iraq ‘May Not Come Back as an Intact State’  I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
Top Pentagon Intel Officer: Iraq ‘May Not Come Back as an Intact State’  I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
Top Pentagon Intel Officer: Iraq ‘May Not Come Back as an Intact State’  I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
Top Pentagon Intel Officer: Iraq ‘May Not Come Back as an Intact State’  I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
Top Pentagon Intel Officer: Iraq ‘May Not Come Back as an Intact State’  I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
Top Pentagon Intel Officer: Iraq ‘May Not Come Back as an Intact State’  I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
Top Pentagon Intel Officer: Iraq ‘May Not Come Back as an Intact State’  I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
Top Pentagon Intel Officer: Iraq ‘May Not Come Back as an Intact State’  I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
Top Pentagon Intel Officer: Iraq ‘May Not Come Back as an Intact State’  I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
Top Pentagon Intel Officer: Iraq ‘May Not Come Back as an Intact State’  I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

Top Pentagon Intel Officer: Iraq ‘May Not Come Back as an Intact State’

2 posters

Go down

Top Pentagon Intel Officer: Iraq ‘May Not Come Back as an Intact State’  Empty Top Pentagon Intel Officer: Iraq ‘May Not Come Back as an Intact State’

Post by RamblerNash Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:56 am

Top Pentagon Intel Officer: Iraq ‘May Not Come Back as an Intact State’

Seán D. Naylor,  Foreign Policy  
9 hours ago

Top Pentagon Intel Officer: Iraq ‘May Not Come Back as an Intact State’  0382714176_1_4500x3003_to

The U.S. intelligence community first learned that Yemen’s Houthi rebels had launched a Scud missile toward Saudi Arabia on June 30 not from spies on the ground or satellites in the skies, but instead from a more modern form of information gathering: Twitter.

“The first warning of that event: ‘hashtag scudlaunch,’” Marine Lt. Gen. Vincent Stewart, the head of the Pentagon’s Defense Intelligence Agency (DIA), said at a gathering of intelligence contractors just outside Washington on Thursday night. “Someone tweeted that a Scud had been launched, and that’s how we started to search for this activity.”

The increasing prevalence of smartphones and social media is reshaping the Middle East in ways that are impossible to anticipate, Stewart said.

“Ten years or so ago, if a Tunisian had set himself on fire in Tunisia, it would have been an interesting local story,” Stewart said in reference to Mohamed Bouazizi, whose act of self-immolation in December 2010 is widely credited with sparking the Arab Spring movement. “But the advent of smartphones and Facebook and social media [means] someone captures that image, in milliseconds it’s global, and kicks off a revolution.”

The ramifications of that revolution formed the basis of a brief rhetorical tour through the Middle East that Stewart gave his listeners. His was the voice neither of optimism nor of confidence that the future is in any way predictable. “You see nation-states collapsing in the region and maybe going to ethnic lines, and none of us understand where that will lead five minutes from now, five years from now,” he said.

Iraq “may indeed be irreparably fractured and may not come back as an intact state,” he said. Current U.S. policy, which is to treat Iraq as a unitary state and avoid formal diplomatic recognition of de facto separate entities such as the Kurdistan Regional Government in northern Iraq, would have to change if that occurred.

The United States already enjoys close military relations with Iraq’s Kurds in particular, but the division of Iraq into a Kurdish state, a Shiite state, and a Sunni state could force the United States to choose between its Kurdish allies and Turkey, a NATO partner that has long opposed Kurdish independence. Stewart noted that his remarks had been written “a couple of weeks ago” — in other words, before Turkey announced it was entering the war against the Islamic State, only to begin pummeling Kurdish separatists — but acknowledged that Washington could find itself in a tricky situation if Turkey were to invoke NATO’s collective-defense provisions after an attack from a Kurdish-held area.

Iraq is not the only country whose very existence is threatened by the forces roiling the Middle East, according to Stewart. “You see a lot of fracturing in Syria, where you could end up with an Alawite-stan in the middle and something to the north and something to the south,” Stewart said in reference to the Alawite religious minority to which Syrian President Bashar al-Assad belongs and which forms the core of his regime.

The DIA director also expressed concern about Jordan, a close ally of the United States that has absorbed more than 600,000 Syrian refugees. “Jordan has got more West Bankers and Syrians in Jordan than they actually have Jordanians,” he said, adding that he believes Amman is “closer in its thought process and closer in its relationship with Israel than it is with any of the Gulf states. I don’t know if we would have said that 15 or 20 years ago.”

He said he recently invited Egyptian and Jordanian representatives to his home. “Almost in unison they said, ‘Israel’s got to be there.’”

Of course, the challenges facing the intelligence community are not limited to those in the Middle East. “I haven’t talked about the crazy in North Korea,” Stewart said, in apparent reference to North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un, before moving on to Vladimir Putin’s increasingly aggressive Russia. “Remember when Russia was going to be our friend?” he asked rhetorically. “It seems like a long time ago.”

For the first time, the DIA director also specified the number of operatives in his agency’s Defense Clandestine Service, which ran into problems with Congress and other critics who thought it too closely resembled the CIA’s spy corps, which until recently was called the National Clandestine Service (NCS). While the initial goal for the program was 1,000 operatives, Congress asked hard questions about the initiative before scaling back that number to 500. Stewart said he is looking to “stabilize” the total at “probably something less than 500.”

“It got a lot of friction because folks believed it was duplicative to what NCS did, but the reality is I can’t get NCS to focus on things that are important to the defense intelligence community,” Stewart said. “I can’t get them to focus on weapons systems, weapons technology, military capability, which is the sweet spot of what I need to do to support our operational commanders, so we needed our own focused defense humint [capability] to go after those target sets.”

Photo credit: BRENDAN SMIALOWSKI/AFP/Getty Images

See original article on Foreign Policy

https://trove.com/a/Top-Pentagon-Intel-Officer-Iraq-%E2%80%98May-Not-Come-Back-as-an-Intact-State%E2%80%99.lRdVn?chid=201463&_p=full-search[1]

Top Pentagon Intel Officer: Iraq ‘May Not Come Back as an Intact State’  258310255 
>>>TNTBS's YouTube Channel<<<
RamblerNash
RamblerNash
GURU HUNTER
GURU HUNTER

Back to top Go down

Top Pentagon Intel Officer: Iraq ‘May Not Come Back as an Intact State’  Empty Re: Top Pentagon Intel Officer: Iraq ‘May Not Come Back as an Intact State’

Post by crazyjerry123 Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:33 am

The end of our human civilization will come about when the social networks take over the world by allowing every idiot, pissed off human, potential terrorist and crazy person to commit enough crimes, directly or indirectly by making every human hate every other human. We don't need God to drown the earth again, we'll do ourselves in, in a crazed state of hateful actions.

crazyjerry123

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum