Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Carnival Rides
Iraqi commission names corrupt ex-ministers; $330 billion missing I_icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2024 5:03 pm by kenlej

» Go Russia
Iraqi commission names corrupt ex-ministers; $330 billion missing I_icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2024 11:37 am by kenlej

» Go Russia
Iraqi commission names corrupt ex-ministers; $330 billion missing I_icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2024 10:51 am by kenlej

» Textbook Tony
Iraqi commission names corrupt ex-ministers; $330 billion missing I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2024 4:13 pm by Mission1st

» The Rockefellers and the controllers are freaking out right about now
Iraqi commission names corrupt ex-ministers; $330 billion missing I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2024 11:16 am by kenlej

» Phony Tony sez: Full Steam Ahead!
Iraqi commission names corrupt ex-ministers; $330 billion missing I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:51 am by Mission1st

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
Iraqi commission names corrupt ex-ministers; $330 billion missing I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:45 am by Mission1st

» Russia aren't taking any prisoners
Iraqi commission names corrupt ex-ministers; $330 billion missing I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2024 6:48 pm by kenlej

» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
Iraqi commission names corrupt ex-ministers; $330 billion missing I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» ZIGPLACE
Iraqi commission names corrupt ex-ministers; $330 billion missing I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
Iraqi commission names corrupt ex-ministers; $330 billion missing I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
Iraqi commission names corrupt ex-ministers; $330 billion missing I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
Iraqi commission names corrupt ex-ministers; $330 billion missing I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
Iraqi commission names corrupt ex-ministers; $330 billion missing I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
Iraqi commission names corrupt ex-ministers; $330 billion missing I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
Iraqi commission names corrupt ex-ministers; $330 billion missing I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
Iraqi commission names corrupt ex-ministers; $330 billion missing I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
Iraqi commission names corrupt ex-ministers; $330 billion missing I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
Iraqi commission names corrupt ex-ministers; $330 billion missing I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
Iraqi commission names corrupt ex-ministers; $330 billion missing I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

Iraqi commission names corrupt ex-ministers; $330 billion missing

Go down

Iraqi commission names corrupt ex-ministers; $330 billion missing Empty Iraqi commission names corrupt ex-ministers; $330 billion missing

Post by Cascadian Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:31 pm

BAGHDAD, Iraq – An Iraqi commission investigating huge corruption in the war-torn country named three former ministers and 53 senior officials in its findings, saying that a whopping $330 billion of public money remains unaccounted for.

The Iraqi Commission of Integrity (CoI) charged that former defense minister Hazm Shalan, ex-electricity minister Aiham al-Sammarae and former trade minister Abdul-Fatah Sudani were involved in graft during their tenures. It named 53 other officials involved in corruption.

At an annual press conference in Baghdad where the CoI reported on its work for 2014, the commission said it had investigated 17,616 cases of official corruption since its inception in 2004, and that 9,147 cases were probed last year alone.

It added that 4,129 corruption cases had been submitted for legal action, and that total funds missing from government coffers amounted to $330 billion.

Some of that money has been transferred outside Iraq, the commission said, vowing that all of the missing funds would be recovered.

The CoI did not investigate cases in the northern Kurdistan Region, which has its own autonomous government, or in Mosul and Tikrit, which have been under Islamic State (ISIS) control since the cities were captured by the insurgents in June.

The commission said that only 53 of 328 Iraqi lawmakers had returned forms declaring their assets, and that other high ranking officials who had failed to make the same declarations included the Iraqi vice president, the prime minister and eight ministers.

Corruption and nepotism remain huge problems in Iraq. 

Iraqi Prime Minister Haidar al-Abadi has said that $45 billion are missing from last year’s national spending. 

The impact of nationwide graft became apparent when the Iraqi army, which was built at a cost of billions after Saddam Hussein was ousted by US-led forces, collapsed in June before an onslaught by insurgents fighting under the ISIS banner.

The humiliating defeat revealed the existence of huge corruption within the military, where salaries were being paid to fictitious employees.

In an interview published by Rudaw early this month, Iraqi Finance Minister Hoshyar Zebari said the military was not the only place where corruption existed.

“There are a great number of them (ghost employees) in the Iraqi army and the ministry of interior. They also exist in the ministry of Peshmerga,” he said. “The ministry of defense has started carrying out some procedures to eliminate this kind of corruption. It has been decided to make everyone receive his own salary in person instead of lists,” he added.

Abadi fired 26 senior officers last month in a major shakeup of the military intended to restore public trust in the army.

A statement posted on the prime minister’s website said the shakeup was part of efforts to reinforce the work of the military on the basis of professionalism and fighting graft in all its forms.

The Associated Press quoted a government official as saying the sackings followed the findings of a probe carried out by an investigator appointed by Abadi to probe corruption in the military.

Iraq ranks globally among the world’s most corrupt countries.

Cascadian
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Iraqi commission names corrupt ex-ministers; $330 billion missing Empty Re: Iraqi commission names corrupt ex-ministers; $330 billion missing

Post by Cascadian Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:35 pm

I have no reason to doubt either the $45 billion missing from last year or the total of $330 Billion.

I hope they can recover at least some of it.  I would like them to plug this year's budget deficit and perhaps build that stabilization fund to help cover things in the next couple of years.  

I cannot but wonder how successful they will be in reclaiming the missing funds.  Most of the funds were shipped out of the country I am sure.  And then there's always the concern about how the investigators/recovery agents will withstand corruption as well.  Would be very tempting to 'recover' the funds from the crooks and keep it for themselves.  I wouldn't put it past people there.

Cascadian
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum