Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Carnival Rides
Germany and Sweden increasing aid to Kurds I_icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2024 5:03 pm by kenlej

» Go Russia
Germany and Sweden increasing aid to Kurds I_icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2024 11:37 am by kenlej

» Go Russia
Germany and Sweden increasing aid to Kurds I_icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2024 10:51 am by kenlej

» Textbook Tony
Germany and Sweden increasing aid to Kurds I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2024 4:13 pm by Mission1st

» The Rockefellers and the controllers are freaking out right about now
Germany and Sweden increasing aid to Kurds I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2024 11:16 am by kenlej

» Phony Tony sez: Full Steam Ahead!
Germany and Sweden increasing aid to Kurds I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:51 am by Mission1st

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
Germany and Sweden increasing aid to Kurds I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:45 am by Mission1st

» Russia aren't taking any prisoners
Germany and Sweden increasing aid to Kurds I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2024 6:48 pm by kenlej

» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
Germany and Sweden increasing aid to Kurds I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» ZIGPLACE
Germany and Sweden increasing aid to Kurds I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
Germany and Sweden increasing aid to Kurds I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
Germany and Sweden increasing aid to Kurds I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
Germany and Sweden increasing aid to Kurds I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
Germany and Sweden increasing aid to Kurds I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
Germany and Sweden increasing aid to Kurds I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
Germany and Sweden increasing aid to Kurds I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
Germany and Sweden increasing aid to Kurds I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
Germany and Sweden increasing aid to Kurds I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
Germany and Sweden increasing aid to Kurds I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
Germany and Sweden increasing aid to Kurds I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

Germany and Sweden increasing aid to Kurds

Go down

Germany and Sweden increasing aid to Kurds Empty Germany and Sweden increasing aid to Kurds

Post by Cascadian Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:15 pm

The German and Swedish governments have announced plans to increase military aid to Kurdish forces battling Islamic State in Iraq. During a press conference in Baghdad, German defence minister, Ursula Von Der Leyen said: “I believe it’s right to extend our support with great care,” adding, “we know that the Peshmerga [Kurdish fighters] aren’t just fighting for their own country but for all of us.” Germany is expected to send 100 military trainers to the Kurdistan region, after a vote in favour of the move last December.

According to the American institute for Contemporary German Studies¸ Germany has already equipped Kurdish troops in northern Iraq with over 8,000 pistols, 8,000 Assault  Rifles, 10,000 hand grenades and over 200 anti-tank weapons.

Over the weekend, Sweden’s Foreign Minister, Margot Wallström also announced she hoped her country would send military personnel to Iraq to help train soldiers. Wallström spoke to European news outlet the Local saying: “The government is now looking into the possibility of proposing to the Riksdag that Swedish military personnel be sent to Erbil, Iraq, to help train troops fighting [ISIS].” Although she added that “this isn’t about sending combat personnel”.

She later told Swedish media that Germany may lead the training mission, with contributions from Finland as well.

Meanwhile, British efforts to increase aid to the fight against ISIS have stalled. The defence secretary, Michael Fallon, announced in December last year that hundreds of British troops would be sent to Iraq in early 2015. Interviewed in the Telegraph, Fallon talked of the need for ground troops after the success of the campaign of coalition air strikes. “They [ISIS] are increasingly tucked away in towns and villages,” he said. “That means they have got to be rooted out by ground troops.” However a report by the Daily Mail earlier this year said that the MoD had admitted that it would not be ready to send ground troops within the timescale previously given, quoting sources inside Whitehall as saying that "Downing Street does not want any news of UK troops heading for Iraq overshadowing the election campaign”.

James Gray, the Conservative MP for North Wiltshire who sits on the Committee on Arms Export Controls, believes that the government should renew its efforts to support anti-ISIS forces. “I visited the Kurdish fighters in Northern Iraq just before Christmas and went to see the very good work that the British army is doing together with the Danes in Sulaymaniyah.” When Fallon announced the plan to introduce British ground troops in December, Gray remarks, “we all welcomed that very strongly”. Despite the stall in that plan, Gray remains trenchant in his position. “I think a number of us are going to bring pressure to be on the Ministry of Defence, to make sure they do what they said they were going to do.”

On the Peshmerga, Northern Iraq’s Kurdish Fighters, Gray said: “They’re very very brave, we must do all we can to give them support.

Cascadian
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum