Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Carnival Rides
Rebuilding the Iraqi Army just starting I_icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2024 5:03 pm by kenlej

» Go Russia
Rebuilding the Iraqi Army just starting I_icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2024 11:37 am by kenlej

» Go Russia
Rebuilding the Iraqi Army just starting I_icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2024 10:51 am by kenlej

» Textbook Tony
Rebuilding the Iraqi Army just starting I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2024 4:13 pm by Mission1st

» The Rockefellers and the controllers are freaking out right about now
Rebuilding the Iraqi Army just starting I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2024 11:16 am by kenlej

» Phony Tony sez: Full Steam Ahead!
Rebuilding the Iraqi Army just starting I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:51 am by Mission1st

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
Rebuilding the Iraqi Army just starting I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:45 am by Mission1st

» Russia aren't taking any prisoners
Rebuilding the Iraqi Army just starting I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2024 6:48 pm by kenlej

» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
Rebuilding the Iraqi Army just starting I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» ZIGPLACE
Rebuilding the Iraqi Army just starting I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
Rebuilding the Iraqi Army just starting I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
Rebuilding the Iraqi Army just starting I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
Rebuilding the Iraqi Army just starting I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
Rebuilding the Iraqi Army just starting I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
Rebuilding the Iraqi Army just starting I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
Rebuilding the Iraqi Army just starting I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
Rebuilding the Iraqi Army just starting I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
Rebuilding the Iraqi Army just starting I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
Rebuilding the Iraqi Army just starting I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
Rebuilding the Iraqi Army just starting I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

Rebuilding the Iraqi Army just starting

Go down

Rebuilding the Iraqi Army just starting Empty Rebuilding the Iraqi Army just starting

Post by Cascadian Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:43 pm

(Reuters) - Iraqi Defence Minister Khaled al-Obeidi said on Tuesday that the Iraqi military has started rebuilding after its near total collapse last summer but that the effort is still in its initial phase.

"We are still in the early stages; some of them are known to you, and some remain a secret," Obeidi said in a televised address on the national holiday Armed Forces Day.

Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi has sacked several dozen commanders and told Obeidi to lead a probe into corruption within the Iraqi military after Islamic State seized vast swathes of territory from Iraqi security forces last summer.

Since then the hardline militants have been pushed out of several districts around Baghdad and near the Iranian border.

Shi'ite militias, Kurdish peshmerga forces and U.S.-led air strikes have played a leading role in Islamic State's military reverses, but the Iraqi army will be needed in the campaign to recapture and hold the remaining territory under its control.

"Changing some military leaders will be the first step towards building a strong army and we will make changes in the entire military pyramid down to the last soldier," Obeidi said on the national holiday commemorating the 94th anniversary of modern Iraqi military's founding.

Rampant corruption was seen as one of the main reasons why the Iraqi army failed to stop Islamic State in battle. Many units were short of weapons or had soldiers listed on paper who were not actually present in the field.

Currently, several Iraqi security officials estimate the number of functioning military forces at between seven and nine divisions. They caution even those divisions are not all operating at full strength.

The Iraqi army had at least 14 divisions on paper before Islamic State toppled the north's biggest city of Mosul and soldiers deserted en masse.

Obeidi also vowed on Tuesday that the Iraqi forces would soon retake the lands they lost in northern Salahuddin and Nineveh provinces. Obeidi highlighted the importance of Mosul.

"We will liberate it with the hard efforts of our armed forces, volunteers and with the aid of our allies.”

Earlier in the day, Abadi and Obeidi placed a garland of flowers at Baghdad's Monument to the Unknown Soldier.

Cascadian
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum