Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Carnival Rides
Saudi Arabia Bans 50 Baby Names, Including Binyamin and Linda I_icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2024 5:03 pm by kenlej

» Go Russia
Saudi Arabia Bans 50 Baby Names, Including Binyamin and Linda I_icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2024 11:37 am by kenlej

» Go Russia
Saudi Arabia Bans 50 Baby Names, Including Binyamin and Linda I_icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2024 10:51 am by kenlej

» Textbook Tony
Saudi Arabia Bans 50 Baby Names, Including Binyamin and Linda I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2024 4:13 pm by Mission1st

» The Rockefellers and the controllers are freaking out right about now
Saudi Arabia Bans 50 Baby Names, Including Binyamin and Linda I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2024 11:16 am by kenlej

» Phony Tony sez: Full Steam Ahead!
Saudi Arabia Bans 50 Baby Names, Including Binyamin and Linda I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:51 am by Mission1st

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
Saudi Arabia Bans 50 Baby Names, Including Binyamin and Linda I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:45 am by Mission1st

» Russia aren't taking any prisoners
Saudi Arabia Bans 50 Baby Names, Including Binyamin and Linda I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2024 6:48 pm by kenlej

» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
Saudi Arabia Bans 50 Baby Names, Including Binyamin and Linda I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» ZIGPLACE
Saudi Arabia Bans 50 Baby Names, Including Binyamin and Linda I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
Saudi Arabia Bans 50 Baby Names, Including Binyamin and Linda I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
Saudi Arabia Bans 50 Baby Names, Including Binyamin and Linda I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
Saudi Arabia Bans 50 Baby Names, Including Binyamin and Linda I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
Saudi Arabia Bans 50 Baby Names, Including Binyamin and Linda I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
Saudi Arabia Bans 50 Baby Names, Including Binyamin and Linda I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
Saudi Arabia Bans 50 Baby Names, Including Binyamin and Linda I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
Saudi Arabia Bans 50 Baby Names, Including Binyamin and Linda I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
Saudi Arabia Bans 50 Baby Names, Including Binyamin and Linda I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
Saudi Arabia Bans 50 Baby Names, Including Binyamin and Linda I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
Saudi Arabia Bans 50 Baby Names, Including Binyamin and Linda I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

Saudi Arabia Bans 50 Baby Names, Including Binyamin and Linda

Go down

Saudi Arabia Bans 50 Baby Names, Including Binyamin and Linda Empty Saudi Arabia Bans 50 Baby Names, Including Binyamin and Linda

Post by Ponee Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:08 pm

Saudi Arabia Bans 50 Baby Names, Including Binyamin and Linda

Saudi Arabia Bans 50 Baby Names, Including Binyamin and Linda Baby_featured

By Allison Geller, Mon, March 17, 2014

Saudi Arabia has declared a list of 50 baby names illegal, including those that are “foreign,” related to royalty, or are otherwise considered blasphemous.

Banned baby names include Western names like Linda, Elaine, Alice, and Sandy, as well as names that have to do with royalty or those that are thought to be anti-Islam, Gulf News reports. The names are said to “contradict culture and religion,” according to Saudi Arabia’s interior ministry.

The royal names include Sumuw (highness), Malek (king) and Malika (Queen).
The name Abdul Nabi (Slave of the Prophet) made the list because of the controversial way it can be interpreted. "Abdul" in Arabic means “worshipper of” or “slave of”, while Nabi means “prophet” and Rasool means “messenger.” When the names are combined with Abdul, some argue that they go against Islam because only God can be worshipped. Most Muslim names with Abdul contain one of the 99 Arabic names for “God."

Gulf News reports that some of the names are quite common, including Malak (angel), Amir (prince), Abdul Naser and Jibreel (the Arabic version of Gabriel).

And some of the banned names defy categories, leaving room for speculation. Abdul Naser and Binyamin (the Arabic version of Benjamin) are not particularly incendiary, Gulf News reports. But Binyamin, the son of the Prophet Jacob in Islamic religion, is also the name of the Israeli Prime Minister, while Abdul Naser was the ruler of Egypt who clashed with Saudi Arabia.

Name bans exist elsewhere in the world, such as in Norway, where the government keeps an approved list of monikers for couples to choose from, and Germany, where the name “Hitler” is illegal. In a recent controversial baby-naming case in the United States, a Tennessee judge was fired for ordering a couple to change their son’s name from “Messiah” to “Martin.”

Malaak (angel)
Abdul Aati
Abdul Naser
Abdul Musleh
Nabi (prophet)
Nabiyya (female prophet)
Amir (prince)
Sumuw (highness)
Al Mamlaka (the kingdom)
Malika (queen)
Mamlaka (kingdom)
Tabarak (blessed)
Nardeen
Maya
Linda
Randa
Basmala (utterance of the name of God)
Taline
Aram
Nareej
Rital
Alice
Sandy
Rama (Hindu god)
Maline
Elaine
Inar
Maliktina
Lareen
Kibrial
Lauren
Binyamin (Arabic for Benjamin)
Naris
Yara
Sitav
Loland
Tilaj
Barrah
Abdul Nabi
Abdul Rasool
Jibreel (angel Gabriel)
Abdul Mu’een
Abrar
Iman
Bayan
Baseel
Wireelam

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/religion/saudi-arabia-bans-50-baby-names-including-binyamin-and-linda
Ponee
Ponee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum